Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Question for people who know and own goats!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Question for people who know and own goats! Next Topic  

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2008 :  9:35:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am seriously considering having some dairy goats when we get out land and am planning WAY in advance. We are probably going to have some of a smaller to medium sized goats that can be used for dairy- like Oberhasli perhaps. But here is my question-

Can a goat be taught to use a dog door/flap if it is big enough?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2008 :  10:15:51 PM  Show Profile
Hmmm...maybe...but why?? Do you mean to go into their barn?? Or your house??

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2008 :  10:25:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Aunt Jenny-

Weeeelll- here is what I was thinking- I want to build a REALLY big greenhouse someday and I know some people keep chickens and rabbits in their greenhouses during the winter to keep the temperature up and growing. So I was thinking that during the winter months- if the goats had a penned off section of the green house to bed down in and be fed in, they could keep my plants warm and have a cozy place to get out of the storms. During the summer I would feed them outside. I am also thinking I want a two room system so they can have a cool goat house for the summer that would share a wall with the greenhouse, but would be shady. So they could enter the shady one through a normal entry way because the point of that one would be to have air flow, and then through a thickish flap/dog door into the green house into winter months.

The air seepage from the door flap wouldn't harm the plants any and having 3-5 goats would be a big help. I would just have to make sure that I had enough ventilation and everything to keep the goats and plants healthy.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2008 :  10:32:58 PM  Show Profile
As long as there was NO loose plastic sheeting (goats will chew it..not good) and the fence to keep them away from your plants was very very very good (goats are amazing at fences and gates) maybe it would work out. I don't know about the flap. Most goats (and sheep and cows) are very happy with a three sided barn in winter..as long as it is deep enough for them to get out of the wind. Especially if there are more than two. They might find it too hot. Just guessing though. I would love to hear if it would work out. I love the idea of a really big greenhouse. I wish I had even a small one right now..the tomato plants are taking over my living room!!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2008 :  10:45:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jenny-
Just wait until the next magazine comes out- Sunny has a fantastic method for building a 8x8 greenhouse for around $100! It's great!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2008 :  10:48:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I was thinking of building a wooden pen for their section the greenhouse. Something they couldn't get their wiley heads through! Of course- if they do heat the green house they will get their share of fresh veggies in the middle of winter! It would probably work best to actually have their pen run the length of the green house so they can spread out or maybe have a low volt fan blowing to move the air around (probably a good idea anyway).

And if the goats decided it's too hot, I could easily turn it into a chicken coop I think! :D I am really over-excited about the whole greenhouse thing right now but if you don't dream big you might not reach as high as you can! :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2008 :  11:26:00 PM  Show Profile
can't wait to see the directions for the greenhouse!
we are currently in the process of converting quite a bit of our backyard city lot into a sustainable garden area. Paul and I have been talking about tilling out more of the grass and creating more food garden areas... something that will actually feed our family..not cost us to continually mow it.
We have plans to add some gravel/rock paths through the garden areas... and at the back of the garden/which is fronted by my cottage garden/wildflower garden..I plan to build that 8 ft by 8 ft greenhouse! I have a path through the cottage garden made of flagstone..need to get myself some more flagstone and continue that pathway straight on back through the veggie garden and to what will eventually be the doorway to my own little greenhouse. Yep...I've got plans on turning a used to be city slicker backyard..into a "farmette in the city"... and I am well on my way!
oh..and my sugar snap peas are starting to grow real well..and we just ate our first salads from the garden..a delightful mix of spring lettuces some of which we had never tasted before..and they were real yummy.
We have baby tomatoes on the plants now..and our raspberry canes are getting "red "burrs" on them..looks like we'll have a nice bit of raspberries this Fall.
oh my..a greenhouse would be phenomenal!
Sunny..I can't wait to see the directions!! so excited about it.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com

Edited by - Tina Michelle on Apr 27 2008 11:27:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2008 :  11:34:32 PM  Show Profile
sorry to be a bit off topic..no I don't own goats..but gosh that greenhouse plan really has had me excited ever since Sunny wrote and told me that it would be in the next issue of the magazine.
so sorry I got off topic. I guess you don't know how long I have so much wanted my own greenhouse it isn't even funny..and to think that I have the possibility of being able to build my own working greenhouse for about $100 has me just jumping for joy.It's like a kid waiting for Christmas to get here for me...it can't get here soon enough...ha

visit me at:
and at www.stliving.net
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  04:12:06 AM  Show Profile
I've been dreaming about goats too - but mine are more on the order of fencing in our old orchard to get them to eat the wild brambles, multiflora rose, and poison ivy. I was thinking of Angora goats for the fiber but am wondering how that mixes with all the brambles.

I've been in despair about what to do about the orchard, I don't think I can do it without help (over 800 trees, I think) and the extension agent and commercial orchardists all advocate spraying glycosphate (Roundup) under the trees to get rid of the weeds. We'll probably retire within 5 years and I want to have a plan ready to implement when we move up there.

Goats are the only organic solution I can think of - I'm sure not going to dig out 40 acres of poison ivy with a shovel. Anyone else put goats in the orchard? Are there concerns with safety of the apples (e. coli?) or do the goats climb the trees and eat the fruit?

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

marmieto12
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

laura
utah
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  06:14:23 AM  Show Profile
I love goats! Currently we have 5, with one milking. I have had goats off and on for many years. Not an expert, but here goes.

Jenny is right they eat plastic sheeting and nibble on everything like a teething baby! The green house should be reserved for rabbits and chickens in the winter as long as it is well ventilated.

The goats on the other hand would prefer the 3 sided "lean to" as the like the breeze in their face..well not really they are not fond of being confined and they need ventilation. The can develop a cough that and become ill. Mine sleep under a tarp fashioned like a lean to and sleep in igloos or large dog crates.

Putting them in an orchard would be great, but remember they will eat the branches up as far as they can reach. Eating up the weeds would be a great organic way to get rid of the. One thing to note, in the USDA organic standards, there maybe a clause of not having fresh manure in the growing area. If it is only for you, welcome the manure. It breaks down quickly and will fertilize without the burn.

My favorite animal books are published by Storey. There fantastic goat web sites too.

I love Nubian's, tho I am sure my neighbors are not too fond of them as they "talk" consistently. We have had Saanans and they barely make a peep. Both are great milk producers.

Laura;Dreaming of big girl farm...

Farmgirl # 148

http://lilsfamilyfarm.blogspot.com

Chapter http://justsimplythegirls.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  07:13:03 AM  Show Profile
Brenda, I have 2 Nubians & they are in the process of killing my one & only apple tree. They will strip the bark. They LOVE bark. I can tell when they have been at it cause they have orange mouths from underneath the bark! Our tree is very awkwardly shaped & impossible to wrap, so I suppose it will be dead by next year. Maybe with 800 trees though, they wouldn't do as much damage.
Alee, I have Great Danes & we had a section in the garage that they could go out into a fenced in area. I bought a metal spring loaded Dane sized doggie door. The hinges are on the side, as opposed to the top, & the dogs just nudge with their nose to open. I am sure a goat could figure that out too.
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  07:36:20 AM  Show Profile
what about trying southdown babydoll sheep? they are a smaller breed/a mini sheep actually used for grazing orchards and wineries.
here in Fl. I have seen some wineries using sheep to graze up under the grapevines. they don't damage the crops.

visit me at:
and at www.stliving.net
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  08:04:33 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies! Boy, did I read this topic with interest!! I like your idea Alee, but I have to agree about goats being "nibblers" and not liking confinement too much. I raise Nigerian Dwarf goats, and they prefer to be out most of the time. The only time they seek shelter is when it's wet out-- goats HATE getting wet! They don't seem to mind the wind so much. Ours have access to the barn when they want it, and other than those conditions I mentioned, they prefer to lounge around outside sunning themselves or wallowing in the shade. One other thing no one mentioned is how WELL goats can climb and JUMP!!! Even my little bitty goats can clear a 36" fence panel if they are determined to do so. They are some of the best escape artists in the world!! I have watched a goat-- who watched me--- tie a group of panels together to confine one of my sheep (the "Babydolls" mentioned by Tina)-- actually untie the twine holding the panels and let the ewe out! I couldn't believe it!! Goats are EXTREMELY intelligent and can be quite challenging to keep confined, but they are such a joy and quite entertaining! --Tracy
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  08:16:49 AM  Show Profile
Ok, it's me again, this time regarding the Babydoll sheep and the misconceptions that are going around about them. I have been raising them for nearly 10yrs now, so I have witnessed first hand the good, the bad and the UGLY side of these sheep. Sheep are not as stupid as many people believe, but they are not as smart as some others would like to give them credit for. They are good in Orchards, provided there is enough vegitation to hold their interest, otherwise, they WILL climb up and nibble the trees. Some sheep will even climb up on the backs of the others to reach the leaves and branches of the trees and will eventually kill them. They will also rub against them and can weaken the stability of a shallow rooted tree. I would not reccomend putting them in a "Young" orchard setting. If it's a large orchard, the sheep will have very little impact, but I would think seriously about an area with just a few trees, unless the trees are very well established. If anyone wants to know any more about the Babydolls, just give me a hollar. I've got LOTS of stories!! And Alee, you are SO right!!! If your gonna dream.... then DREAM BIG!!!!!! You GO girl!!!-- Tracy
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  10:34:16 AM  Show Profile
I will echo a few of the thoughts - I have raised BabyDolls for ten years and they amazedme on how clever and dense they can be - I would suggest using electic movable fenceing to work the orchard - trust me if they get bored they can do damage before you know it. As for goats they are my passion but if there is a way they find it. I have a couple who when they wont out they can jump a four foot fence, plastic is something that is like candy to them because they know you do not want them to eat it. I have bottle kids who are now grown ups and they are sent out to eat and they come right back when called but it is like have a group of toddlers running around - it wears thin after awhile. I do suggest you give maybe some other considerations to housing for a goat and even placing chickens in a green house requires you to do your homework. I can only say keep asking those questions because we learn from others = I know I sure have over the years.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  12:14:48 PM  Show Profile
HI Grace! You have Babydolls too!? Isn't it CRAZY how many people are calling and e-mailing for them?

I even had a lady pull into our driveway, right in the middle of our Easter party this year (and right in the middle of me doing some midwifery on a Jacob ewe who decided to LIVEN UP that party a bit) and start asking questions about the sheep.

When she started talking about BABYDOLL sheep, and how much she wanted to get her hands on some of their wool for a project she was doing, you should have seen her face when I swept my arm out tword the flock of ewes in the field (and the rams in the pen nearby) and said "Well, there's your "elusive" Babydolls, which fleece's do you want?" Talk about a "Kodak Moment!" It was pretty funny. Sorry, off the goat subject, but I had to share this! Tracy
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  10:45:53 AM  Show Profile
Hi Brenda,

right now I have 25 Nubian goats.... 14 of them are babies. I know I'm crazy......lol.
I have a metal sliding door on my barn. I have shut it without latching it. Believe me they cram their way between it enough to open it slightly. Then they stand on their hind legs and push this huge door the rest of the way open. Goats are very smart and very teachable.If I want it to stay closed at night I latch it now. They really love to open this door on their own. Even the babies are learning to do it.
I don't think you will have any trouble. Just go through the door with them several time for a few days and make sure you have feed in a cup when you do it. They will get the idea pretty quick once they know it moves. You could attach the door on a spring loaded system.
Hope this helps.
Linda

Each day is precious...take a few of those minutes for yourself.
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  1:00:31 PM  Show Profile
Alee, I used to have a large dairy goat herd (Nubians and Saanens and a few Nigerian Dwarfs and Pygmies)..anyhow, I would not recommend the greenhouse idea since I don't think there would be enough cross ventilation among other reasons.

A goat will come down with pneumonia in a heartbeat so good ventilation is a must..they can tolerate the cold as long as they are in a shelter that doesn't have a northern exposure opening. All of my open areas were at the ceiling level so when they were standing or lying down the wind wasn't blowing directly on them but just the same they had plenty of fresh air...

the combination of soiled bedding and poor ventilation equals alot of sickness. Even if the bedding was changed daily it still wouldn't be a good environment for them.

Plus goats can take apart fences, gates, greenhouses...LOL...the more heavy duty and "overbuilding" you can do the better it will be...they love to rub up against the walls and some play a game and run in a circle and bounce off the walls.. They are truly comical and intelligent creatures.

It's fun to plan, isn't it? I'm hoping to get a few does again when I settle down in a few years. Maybe you'll be ready around the same time I am...

Stephanie
www.queenofdreamsz.blogspot.com
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.blogspot.com
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Question for people who know and own goats! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page