Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 Taking apart the living room...UPDATE PHOTOS
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Taking apart the living room...UPDATE PHOTOS Next Topic  

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2008 :  8:39:03 PM  Show Profile
I've been in sort of a destruction mood lately...maybe I should say remodelling mood, so I deep cleaned the living room today, steam cleaned the carpet, washed the couch covers (again), along with all the pillow covers (and I made my own little clothesline on the porch and hung everything out to dry there), and dusted all the corners, vacuumed the air ducts, etc....

But, something has always bothered me about my living room...it's comfortable, but the walls...the way photos are arranged, and pictures and things, it never feels completed--sortof transient. So, I took it all down and started all over again!

I took a few photos of the (finally) finished product, but they didn't really come out. Maybe I'll try tomorrow but I can't tell you how great the room feels now. Looks like real people live here now (longterm) instead of the kind of stuff you put up when you know you're going to move out in 3 months.

Anyway, sorry about the ramble...I'm excited about it, but I can't show you

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/

Edited by - KYgurlsrbest on Apr 27 2008 11:54:58 AM

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2008 :  8:49:14 PM  Show Profile
Jonni- since you're finished with your living room, how about you come up to Iowa and do mine?

http://plumcreekmama.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2008 :  12:02:10 AM  Show Profile
Or mine? LOL

Mine looks like I live in a tenement.

I just need a little more ambition, my own self. I have gorgeous (I hope) hardwood floors hiding under my carpet. If I ever get motivated enough, I am going to pull that carpet out for good. And paint the walls, and redecorate.

But not right now. Too lazy some nights to even think about it.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2008 :  10:07:05 AM  Show Profile
Kate, same thing here, except the hardwood isn't gorgeous. The folks who lived here two times before me had a cat with bladder problems..so I had hopes of exposing the hard wood like the rest of the house, but it was REALLY bad in some spots! So, I carpeted, but this summer, I'm pulling it up to paint the floors in a checkerboard pattern. It will be much easier that way with 4 dogs, and it suits our cottage.

Heather, I'd be glad to :) It's something I actually enjoy, but like Kate, sometimes I'm just too tired to even think of it!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
Go to Top of Page

Moonsanity
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Brenda
Michigan
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2008 :  10:26:45 AM  Show Profile
I've been feeling the same way. Maybe it's spring fever. Also I found out our fat cat Daisy has decided to pee behind the couch. It's a HEAVY couch so I need to have the boys move it so I can try to clean it and deordorize. I do not know why she's doing this. She's 4 years old and acts like an old lady cat of 90.

Hardwood floor is my next big project!

~Brenda
Journey of Grace and Whimsy
http://grace-whimsy.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2008 :  11:22:18 AM  Show Profile
Must be, Brenda...I'm sorry about your cat...have you checked her for a urinary tract infection? Sounds crazy, but mine have done that, and usually that's the culprit. It's simply no fun trying to clean up pee, and cat urine is the WORST. Wishing you luck :)

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2008 :  11:29:18 AM  Show Profile
Jonni
That checkerboard idea is the way to go. We have several historic houses here that have incorporated that & it looks so neat. One house used an antique aqua & a barn red(which I would never have though of ) & it really works. My sis has that in her kitchen also(of course hers is a perfect hardwood with alternating hardwood stains) & it looks homey, classy & is also durable. Let me know when you decide to do it. I'll come help!
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2008 :  11:54:30 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the vote of the confidence, Lisa...and the offer of help! Our living room isn't large, so I don't think it will take too very long but I'm really looking forward to it!!! That color scheme sounds awesome, actually--and I talked with the guy at Florence hardware who recommended porch paint to me, made by Olympic. He can get me any color I'd like and it has a primer built in.

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2008 :  11:58:58 AM  Show Profile
The light was "ok" for photos today...but I didn't have any "before" photos. Suffice it to say there was a very large round mirror from the 40's over the sofa, and family photos grouped around it. Now, this:

Love this etching...reminds me of England--the draft horse leather also comes from Northern England, in Yorkshire

The opposite corner--I took down all my colorful tablecloths and moved the barn ladder from the corner--simplify seems to be the theme.

My old wooden bowl filled with creekbed finds (brachiopods)

I'm really liking it--it feels less "busy" and somehow more functional.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2008 :  12:06:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Very Nice, Jonni!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2008 :  6:31:48 PM  Show Profile
Looks good Jonni. I really like that vintage war bonds poster and the etching!

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2008 :  6:43:40 PM  Show Profile
Okay, put me on your list too, I need all the help I can get!
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2008 :  7:05:39 PM  Show Profile
Gladly, Ronna...plus we can just chat all day long while we (or I?) work!

Thanks, Meg..that war bonds poster was one of the first "antiques" I bought. I've always loved WWI and WWII war effort items. You keep things long enough, you find the right place for them!!!

Go to Top of Page

Moonsanity
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Brenda
Michigan
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  03:44:14 AM  Show Profile
I love the ladder-- I need to find one of those to display my stuff too.

I never thought of putting the fossils in a wooden bowl. That looks very cool. We have quite a few of them.

It looks great!

~Brenda
Journey of Grace and Whimsy
http://grace-whimsy.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

4forMe
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

Dawn
Easton MD
166 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  05:13:29 AM  Show Profile
Looks great! I LOVE the barn ladder, I NEED one of those.

Sewing, knitting, gardening mom of 4.
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  05:14:31 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I like the puppy on the couch best!! How cute!! Looks good!!

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  05:32:28 AM  Show Profile
Oh yes, our Daisy on the sofa! I once heard a saying from a lady at a hound rescue that I worked with: "Once you let a hound on the couch, you'll never get them off!" It's the absolute truth--that little gal will take your spot as soon as you vacate it!

Brenda and Dawn--
That ladder was the best thing I bought for displaying my vintage linens. Usually it holds about 12-14 vintage tablecloths from the 1940's and 1950's, but like I said, I'm just simplifying a little (and the thought of ironing them after I washed them was pretty daunting :))

Brenda...we also have larger fossils lining our window sills and under large glass bell jars (a large cephlapod and fish fossil I found last summer, along with a birds nest, interesting smooth stones from a bay in Cornwall, England and a blue jay feather. We just really like nature :)

Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Taking apart the living room...UPDATE PHOTOS Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page