sanctuarywitch
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

shannon
otsego mi
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2005 :  5:43:23 PM  Show Profile
I am tearing out rusted chicken wire on a small animal pen. There's a wooden beam along the top and bottom of the pen, the fence is attached to that.
I need to replace the chicken wire, and I'd like to do something fun and artsy. This pen is in the petting farm area of our sanctuary, so it is used by lots of visitors. The area houses animals as large as a small pony, and as small as a guinea pig (at different times). Each side is about 4 feet tall by 12 feet long. I'm looking for clever ideas on what to use in place of the chicken wire.

It also has to be cheap or free to build...but that probably goes without saying!

Life rewards action!

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2005 :  7:16:54 PM  Show Profile
I don't know if pallets are put out with FREE signs in your area but we seem to have alot of places here. How about a picket fence backdrop made from pallet wood? You could paint a whole scene on it if you wanted or just cute things like a sun and some flowers or trees with a perrenial blue sky.I'm not sure what you are containing in this pen or how secure it need be but there is an idea, you will know if it works! Good luck!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2005 :  11:28:32 AM  Show Profile
Are you in an area of the country that willow grows? It grows in ditches and bottom lands here near rivers. If so, you can make a great fence by adding another board side by side to the bottom board using a spacer to leave about 1 1/2" between the two boards. Do the same to the top. Now grab a pickup or someone who has a van they really use and go gather BUNCHES of green willow (This time of year the bark will be reddish.) Trim. cut them the height you want your fence to be, and force the thick end into the space between the bottom boards. The next one or two force the small end in. Alternate until the fence is as long as you would like it. Now take the trimmings minus the leaves and weave them through the uprights. Add grasses and curly willow too if you like. When you are finished, attach the top board to one side, then another board to the other side. I usually just use whatever nails happen to be handy. It will keep back most anything small. If you can leave it to dry before you put the top on, you can add more willow to replace the shrunken pieces. I've added bittersweet, grapevines, corn cobs, etc. to get it a more artsy look. Don't do this project in the spring of the year after the leaves have first come out, the willow is just too brittle to work with at that time.
Joy

If it's not illegal, unsafe, or immoral, why not try anything once? Who knows? You may come back for a second helping!
Go to Top of Page

goatgal
True Blue Farmgirl

84 Posts

Chasity
Catron MO
USA
84 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2006 :  12:07:52 PM  Show Profile  Send goatgal a Yahoo! Message
I absolutely love the willow idea Joy, just might try this for myself. But I was also thinking of a little homemade picket fence, that is what my chickens have but never stay in it...lol.
Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic creative fencing ideas needed! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page