Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2008 :  6:17:17 PM  Show Profile
Today is National Arbor Day. Since the life of this planet depends on trees---everyone get out and plant a tree.
I planted a Ukraine Cranberry Bush (Viburnam opulus). It is very beautiful and has bright red berries for winter food for the birds.

Arbor Day is an excellent opportunity to take stock of the trees on your property and plan for the future. Inspect your trees. Note any broken branches or evidence of disease or insect infestation. Think about how planting new trees might improve the look of your property or provide wind or heat protection. Take a trip to your local nursery to see what's available and to get new ideas. Walk around your neighbourhood. Are there any public areas where tree planting or tree maintenance might make a real difference to your community? Talk with your neighbours. Find out what their opinions are. And, oh yes, plant a tree.

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2008 :  9:35:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for letting us know, Mary Beth! I will plant a tree this summer since I can't plant on the rental property. But I certainly was admiring the trees this morning on my run!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  05:33:15 AM  Show Profile
I volunteer at the Morton Arboretum in Lisle, IL. The Morton (yes, the salt company owners) family are the ones who started Arbor Day in this country. I worked Saturday at the Arbor Day plant sale for them. It was a huge success. Great to see so many people buying trees, bushes, perennials and herbs to celebrate spring!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic NATIONAL ARBOR DAY Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page