Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Do you think Americans are excessive?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Do you think Americans are excessive? Next Topic
Page: of 2

sunshine78
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Cynthia
Western Nebraska
106 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  10:56:49 AM  Show Profile
Does it seem like our planet is going to hell in a handbasket(pardon my french)? What is up now with food shortages? I heard that Costco and Sam's Club are now rationing rice. The news showed some lady putting the 4 bag limit in her cart and they are large bags at that (probably 5-10lbs). Why would you need that much rice in one shot? Maybe if people just purchased what they needed it would lessen the impact of the shortage.
The world news lately has been doing segments on 21 and the world is yours. A reporter follows 21 year olds from around the globe to see their life. They always ask if they'd rather live in America and the answer is always no. Seems like the rest of the world sees us as self absorbed, excessive, and in the words of one "who do we think we are." I think they have a point. Not to generalize because I know that all Americans certainly aren't like that, but why do they always seem to make it on the news? It's the excessive that give us a bad name.
Just recently heard the AVERAGE size home in Boulder County, Colorado is 8000sq. feet. Who needs that much space. With things getting so expensive(gas and food,living, etc.) how can anyone make it? Certainly most wages won't increase that much. I think we as a society are really in for a wake up call and will be forced to change our paradigms soon.
Back to the food shortage-I think those with land will be the lucky ones because we can grow our own food. Speaking of which and shameless plug here-still have that 40 acres for sale near Big Springs, NE. Just saying.

Cynthia
www.vintageprairie.blogspot.com

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  10:59:35 AM  Show Profile
I think hating Americans is the trendy thing to do. There are excessive people everywhere.

My blog: http://thecottonwife.wordpress.com/

"John Deere. We stand behind everything we sell. Except the manure spreader."
Go to Top of Page

campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  11:12:11 AM  Show Profile
I agree with you. The economy seems to be doing worse. I don't know how people are going to make it. We own a construction company and between gas & supplies we have really seen the rise in prices. I've decided to do everything I can to save money. Plus do what is right for our environment.

Erin
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  11:39:12 AM  Show Profile
No .. i don't think "we" are excessive any more than any other country (or people) with money to spend. I think if we don't 'have' much money that buys us all those toys .. we have a tendency to see others as excessive. All through history .. ALL countries has had it's financial ups and downs.

Have they sent any of those 21 year olds (or any one else who is disgruntled with America .. to THIRD-WORLD countries or those places where 'democracy' doesn't exist ... to live. HA! let's see what they say after that little 'trip'.

SENSATIONAL news (and TV programs) sell because we BUY it! If the people would just stop complaining or listening to el crapo like that .. and do something POSITIVE to effectuate change that they don't like .. it would be a better world.

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  11:47:04 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Yes, I agree about the news. It sends a panic mode across the nation and it is downright stupid- does anyone remember the Y2K or that the world was ending in 1999 or 2000? People started hoarding, survival equipment rocketed in price and all because someone hit that panic button.

Common sense, slowing down and thinking rationally would be a good thing for a lot of people to do. Think positive and it will come back around!!!

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  11:59:09 AM  Show Profile
Live simply and take only what you need for well being. Every so often someone hits the panic button and everyone buys it (ok, not everyone, but a lot of people). I'm trying to simplify and use less, just because for me, it is the right thing to do. I have no real idea what is going on with "shortages" but I'm not buying into the panic mode just yet When my chocolate starts running thin, I'll panic. I thinks that there are excessive people everywhere that there is the money to spend on that kind of lifestyle. I hope this wasn't too harsh?

Annika
Farmgirl sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
http://innermountainmudhens.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoonsgarden.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

corporatefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

389 Posts

Tamara
Pikeville TN
USA
389 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  12:07:46 PM  Show Profile
I do agree that the news sensationalizes things BUT - I think Americans can be excessive. Not as bad as some super rich countries but compared to the rest of the world yes we are. Lets see most americans now own 3 TV's, over 2000 sq ft houses, cell phones are standards, so are latte's and weekly manicures.

Compared to the rest of the world yep many have gone overboard. The problem is the middle class quit being middle class and tried to keep up with the rich Jones down the road. We bought houses we could not afford, cars we can't put gas in now, over extended credit cards and debt because the media said this was the norm.

I have been involved with missonary trips around the world and work with customers from all over the world and I will tell you America is the land of milk and honey compared to most. I agree that none of us would choose to live in a third world country but even in other industrilzied worlds the average home is around 1000 sq ft and people do with a lot less than the vast majority of Americans. I believe some are getting a reality check cause they didn't use their farmgirl common sence. OK off my soap box now

Tamara
http://smallfarm.about.com small farms give big benefits

Edited by - corporatefarmgirl on Apr 24 2008 1:25:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  12:25:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Everyone-

I think it is great that we can talk about serious issues here on the forum, but let's remember that anytime we generalize we run the risk of putting our foot in our mouth- or worse yet hurting those we consider friends, sisters, and fellow farmgirls. Not only that, but please remember we have people of all nationalities, and personal beliefs reading.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

corporatefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

389 Posts

Tamara
Pikeville TN
USA
389 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  1:29:21 PM  Show Profile
Alee - you are so right. Sometimes we forget how many people read the post. Thanks for keeping us on the straight and narrow! I know that none of our farmgirl sisters would intend to hurt anyone's feelings and I apologize if anything I posted did so. LOVE YOU ALL!!

Tamara
http://smallfarm.about.com small farms give big benefits
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  2:11:10 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I understand completely what you meant about being excessive! I am just as guilty as anyone else, I did buy 50 lbs of flour at Gordon Foods (only $12.00 a bag!) several months ago. And 50 pounds of rice a year ago. It's fine to buy in quantity if you have the storage space for it and it won't spoil, I think. Especially if having it on hand saves money in the long run and saves you a fuel-wasting trip to town for staple supplies.

But on the other hand to buy 200 lbs. of flour just because there's a shortage in the news? It's like, I've got to get mine before there isn't any more!

I think about the Lord's Prayer "Give us this day our daily bread..." If you think about it, the only reason we would need more than what we need for today (or a reasonable time period) is FEAR that something bad will happen if we don't get it now. And one of the most-repeated phrases in the Bible is "Be not afraid" or "Fear not"...

My grandmother lived through the Depression and she stored up lots of things "in case we need it" including the foam meat trays from the supermarket. She at least had a experiential reason to be afraid, what are we afraid of? Terrorist attacks? Running out of fossil fuel? NO FLOUR????

Next time somebody tries to make you afraid, take a minute to ask yourself what they are selling.... LOL

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  2:40:42 PM  Show Profile
As someone who sees America from the outside, I'm so tempted to jump right in the conversation, but I don't want to offend anyone AT ALL here :) You girls are true blue! I think the thing is that most people from other nations differentiate between the generalized "America" and regular folks from the states. Stereotype vs. reality, you know? They're two totally different things in my book with different feelings attached to each. A lot of people from elsewhere in the world only learn about "America" from the media and tv, and don't get to meet the regular folks - and there's a big difference between the two! Gosh, I hope that makes sense... (submitting before I chicken out and press delete!)

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  2:48:23 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Meg, thanks.... I dont think there is anything wrong with "honest" discussion .... there is nothing better then a girlfriend that loves you enough to tell you ... you have spinach in your teeth :) I think it is wise to look around and see where we are.. and if we cannt see it clear enough that we have friends who will lend their perspectives for us to consider....

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl

" Plant goodness, harvest the fruit of loyalty, plow the new ground of knowledge. Hosea 10:12
Go to Top of Page

EmmJay
True Blue Farmgirl

352 Posts

Mary Jane
Amherst Nova Scotia
Canada
352 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  2:57:44 PM  Show Profile
Meg, you hit it girl.
I am Canadian and there are many people here that have more than myself, such as a new and BIG house, but does that make them excessive? I TRY not to judge.
Just my two cents.
MJ

"Thank GOD I'm a country girl"
http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o134/EmmJay07/
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  3:01:48 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
To laugh often and much;
To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children;
To earn the appreciation of honest critics and to endure the betrayal of false friends;
To appreciate beauty;
To find the best in others;
To leave the world a bit better whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition;
To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived.
This is to have succeeded. "
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl

" Plant goodness, harvest the fruit of loyalty, plow the new ground of knowledge. Hosea 10:12
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  7:25:24 PM  Show Profile
Excessive in whose eyes? People from other nations who don't have the foggiest idea of what America is really like? Excessive in the eyes of fellow Americans who just don't agree with a certain lifestyle? This is what I guess I just can't fall into. I don't believe what you have or don't have makes you a good or bad person. Material things don't make a person who they are. It is their own mind set, their own ideas and actions that make them the people they are. I can't judge people by what they own or don't own, how much money they have or don't have, what their house is like or what kind of car truck or SUV they have. That honestly has nothing to do with their hearts or souls. The ones that are jerks would probably be so know matter what lifestyle they had and the ones who are kind loving good people would be the same also. Money isn't a bad thing. It can do wonders. It can't buy happiness, because happiness is a state of mind not a thing you can purchase. Being short of money doesn't make you a better or worse person either. As Garth Brooks says I have friends in low places, and they are the best you could ask for. I have friends in high places too and they are just as great. The fact they have might bigger houses and more money doesn't make them any the less dear to me. A lot of them to be honest you would never know they have the money they do. I have been reading a lot of the threads and haven't said anything. I just don't think it matters if someone lives in a 3500 sq. ft house or an 800 sq. foot one. Who cares how many TV's or electronic gadgets they have?They have worked hard for their money and deserve to spend it anyway they wish. It really isn't anyones business. The same thing goes for people who are more frugal, I have heard people say some nasty things about them too.(not on here)Like they are doing something wrong because they are not afluent enough? Why oh why do people dwell on these things? I so agree with Frannie that all the negative people and thoughts and the sensational news items are not good for anyone's outlook on life. These people thrive on mayhem and keeping people scared all the time and upset. It's a game to them. I refuse to play into it. It is pure sensationalism. There are jerks in every country in the world and wonderful people too. America does not have the monopoly on that believe me. Frankly, I have never been one who gave a whole lot of consideration as to what other people thought of the people I love or the land that I love. The longer you live the more you realize what really is important. I don't judge by what's on the outside, it's not what counts.Look at us, we are a very diverse group,yet we all get a long so well and respect it other so much. Isn't it too bad that everyone can't be like this!

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  8:55:40 PM  Show Profile
Annika, gotta love you! "When the chocolate starts running thin, I'll panic"..RITF Good Girl!!! You've got good energy.

Stephanie
www.queenofdreamsz.blogspot.com
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.blogspot.com
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  8:59:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Stephanie- what does RITF mean? Right in the Farmgirl?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  9:07:18 PM  Show Profile
Alee,

It's me being silly!!

Rolling In The Floor (RITF)

Add LOL to it for Laughing out loud

Stephanie

Edited by - queenofdreamsz4u on Apr 24 2008 9:08:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  9:30:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Ah! LOL did you mean ROFL? (Rolling _on_ floor laughing?)? You must have some pretty fluid floors! LOL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  9:50:53 PM  Show Profile
Ok smarty pants Maybe I'm not literally IN the floor! Must be flashing back to the 70's again.

Stephanie
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  10:07:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
hehehe- sorry- couldn't help myself. Nora was being a pill this evening- it must have rubbed of on me in the raspberry kisses we were giving each other!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  10:09:32 PM  Show Profile

Stephanie
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  10:13:18 PM  Show Profile
Hey Alee, Check your email...need to verify your address.

Stephanie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2008 :  12:42:47 AM  Show Profile
RENE .. thanks for sharing Emerson's beautiful and inspiring words .. I SO believe in his philosophy.

ohhhh .. i jus' gotta' 'bump it up'!

To laugh often and much;
To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children;
To earn the appreciation of honest critics and to endure the betrayal of false friends;
To appreciate beauty;
To find the best in others;
To leave the world a bit better whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition;
To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived.
This is to have succeeded. "
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2008 :  12:47:30 AM  Show Profile
MJ .. thanks for those wonderfully inspiring words! I learned a long time ago (ha! i guess 'some' wisdom comes with age) the truth in: JUDGE NOT THAT YE BE NOT JUDGED. We are all god's creatures .. great and small .. rich and poor .. farm and city girls.

We are all making our way in this journey called life. xo

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2008 :  12:49:16 AM  Show Profile
HA! now i am panic-ed ... WHAT? The world might run out of CHOCOLATE???

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Do you think Americans are excessive? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page