Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Getting Out there- Share with us
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Getting Out there- Share with us Next Topic  

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  10:23:14 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
This morning Nora woke up at 5am but luckily went back to sleep- but guess who was up for good- yup! That would be me. So I squeezed myself in to my exercise shirt, put my hair in a pony tail, put on some comfy pants, laced up the running/walking shoes, clipped the leash on the dog and headed out!

I jogged for a good...4 blocks before I had to stop the first time. Okay who am I kidding? No one...that's who. Four blocks is horrible...but tomorrow it will be more!

But Sky and I did walk, jog, walk, job for 2.20 miles! Yay! Tomorrow I will try and go further!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com

Edited by - Alee on May 18 2008 10:32:46 AM

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  10:28:00 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
YEAH ALEE!! You have to start somewhere right???? Keep it up farmgirl....

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  10:55:29 AM  Show Profile
Way to go, Alee! I took the kids hiking yesterday. I'm surprised I'm not sore. It was pretty rough pushing a double stroller up hills and stuff. Towards the end I made Tate get out and walk because I didn't think I would be able to make it up the last hill! They had a lot of fun though.

http://plumcreekmama.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  11:35:55 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Heather-

And PlumCreek Heather- LOL Oh this could get confusing! LOL- Great job on getting out there too! I can feel my legs and am more tired this morning than normal- but that could be because Turkey Lips woke me up early...

I really want to do it again tomorrow though- so it looks like I will be setting my alarm for 5am! Yowza!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  1:53:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Good for you, Alee. Keep it up. Walking is great exercise and it doesn't cost anything - no membership fees - nothing to buy.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

corporatefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

389 Posts

Tamara
Pikeville TN
USA
389 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  1:55:54 PM  Show Profile
Yeah Alee - Now you are inspiring me. I keep thinking about the fresh air and how good you must fill.

Tamara
http://smallfarm.about.com small farms give big benefits
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  7:36:13 PM  Show Profile
Ha. I didn't read through this post before I posted a new topic; it goes right along with this!

Funny Farm ramblings http://happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

marmieto12
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

laura
utah
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2008 :  02:14:28 AM  Show Profile
You could take the dog for a walk in the early am and take Nora in the afternoon. She will enjoy the walk and you will clock even more. You do not have to get your entire walk in at one time to make a difference.

Keep up the exercise.

Laura;Dreaming of big girl farm...

Farmgirl # 148

http://lilsfamilyfarm.blogspot.com

Chapter http://justsimplythegirls.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2008 :  12:12:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
This morning Doug was up with Nora and was able to watch her while I did my walk/run with Sky-dog. We did about 2.4 miles- and I realized I mapquested the wrong amount yesterday- I think I went closer to 3 miles.

But today Doug wasn't feeling well so I felt like I needed to get back so he could go to bed.

I was able to run for about an extra block this morning and BOY are my thighs and calves feeling it. I am not sore so much as just noticing I have muscles again.

I realized yesterday that I have been holding my body funny when I run ever since pregnancy. You know, when you are pregnant and you have to hustle you learn to do this weird type of run and I guess I was still trying to run without making my middle jiggle. So I have been concentrating on re-learning how to run properly, making sure I am going forward more than side to side and taking full strides. I feel great and am really enjoying the fresh air, hearing the birds sing- and even ducks!

I am going to make it a point to do a yoga routine this afternoon to get a good stretch in so hopefully I can run even more tomorrow. I love the struggle to keep running- pushing myself because I know I am winning a small victory for every step further I take. Soon I will be one of those joggers that you see that just breezes along the road no problem! LOL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  09:34:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I made it further today! Just a little- maybe another quarter of the block before I had to quit jogging and go to fast walking. I figured out that I can job a little more than a quarter of a mile (thank you mapquest!) If someone ever looked at what maps I as looking at they would be like "Why is she needing directions down a straight road?".

I feel like my body is working better, my stride is better and even around the house I feel more competent and able-bodied. Plus I am getting to see the sun rise and paint the sky! Beautiful!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 14 2008 :  6:22:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I started my walk/jog again on Sunday, then I went Tuesday and missed today because of weather. To be honest I was being a bit of a wimp and didn't want to go running in the rain. I really enjoy my quiet time each day so I have been sort of kicking my self that I didn't go for my exercise this morning. Tomorrow for sure. But to make up for it I have been trying to be busy and active in the house all day :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - May 14 2008 :  7:28:29 PM  Show Profile
Hey Alee, I need some motivation too, but I just remember an old Nike commercial with Lance Armstrong where he was riding in the pouring rain & it was about the time he was coming under fire for possibly using the juice. In the commercial, he is riding in the pouring freezing rain & he says "Peolpe want to know what I'm on....I tell them, I'm on my bike 7 hrs a day; what are you on???" Says it all doesn't it?? I also remember reading somewhere else about him that he used to call his cycling buddies in the most brutal weather & say "Are you ridin' or are you hidin'??"
As an ex cyclist who needs to lose about 30 lbs, this really hits home whenever I think of it.
SOO the next time it is raining... You & I both girl!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 17 2008 :  07:01:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is so true Lisa! I was Hidin'!

I got out there again today! A little over 2.5 miles in 30-45 minutes (forgot to check the clock before I left)

WOW! I had a HUGE break through today! It was amazing! Before I have been struggling to jog continually for more than 4 blocks. Today I jogged continually half a mile! And I didn't have to stop because of running out of breath (though that was coming) instead I had to stop because of shin splints! I did keep jogging off and on for the rest of the distance, but had to stop after just a block or two each time because my shins were hurting so bad.

Today I am going to turbo clean the house. I need to get the living room cleaned up so I can do my Namaste Yoga and Shimmy workouts. I want to do jogging in the morning, Shimmy at Noon and Namaste Yoga in the evening. Jillian from "You are what you eat" says you should work out for 20 minutes before each meal if you are trying to get healthy, and since my programs have commercials in them, they are about 20 minutes each. Perfect!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - May 17 2008 :  07:54:39 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Alee I right there with you. I have been walking for about 4 months at the local YMCA. I do not have a membership any more, never seemed to have the time when I was paying. But The family I Nanny for does and the youngest goes 4x's a week so I use their track. My goal is to slow jog a mile by December when I go to Korea to visit my son. I'm not sure who will be more impressed. But first time out I jogged 1/4 mile in to short spurts then walked the rest of the 45 minutes. I have gotten up to 1/2 mile but seem not to be able to making any more distance, my pinched nerve starts to act up, but I keep trying. I love my Ipod that me son loaded for me and every time a good old rock and roll song comes on I sing and jog or walk a bit faster. Maybe we should start a thread and have anyone who wants to log their footsteps or mileage for the week. We could all help motivate each other. I bet we would be surprised at how many miles we can do.

http://www.bboopster.blogspot.com
3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 17 2008 :  10:02:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Betty Jo-

Let's all post on this thread :D It's great for us all to be "Getting Out There" and getting moving. Your half a mile is great! I know you will have a break through here soon and you will be able to go a bit further!

My ankle and toe hurt today because I was a dork and kicked my dog's jolly ball (horse size) in sandles yesterday. I don't think I did any permanent damage, but I sure jammed my foot pretty good. It's amazing how much shoes protect our feet!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - May 18 2008 :  10:02:13 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Alee, Sounds like something I would do. I love sandals but am such a klutz that I have learned to keep my piggies covered. This week I am going to start to wear my Pedometer to counts my steps as I forget to count laps unless I'm jogging. Then I only count to see how much more till I'm done. I'm going to try to get to that 5000 step mark a day. Hopefully it will result in less belly and upper arm jiggle. To getting out there everyday!!!!!!!!

http://www.bboopster.blogspot.com
3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 18 2008 :  10:34:55 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
This morning didn't start out very well. In fact, husband and I got in a bit of a tiff and so I dwelled on it for most of my jog/walk. I ended up walking most of it as most of my energy was being put into processing our argument and because of my inner monologue, I missed most of the exterior beauty around me. I feel cheated. But at least my body was moving and I burned calories. :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 18 2008 :  10:37:35 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I took Charlie for a walk this morning,I have been trying to do this everyday he is home with me, either on the weekends or at night, after we are both home from school. : ) I want him to enjoy being outside, get some fresh air and sun, burn some energy. It isn't exactly calorie burning for me but it is about spending time together and being outside.

I have been coming home after dropping Charlie off and walking fast around the neighborhood. I have the time between spring/summer semester, so I am getting motivated and I love Texas because you SWEAT!!! Then I make a green smoothie to hydrate and re-fresh along with some ice water. It is my goal to be jogging by July.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 19 2008 :  06:19:00 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That's great Heather! Every step counts!!

I got out there again today- another 350 calories burned just by enjoying the morning! How great is that? I did find a stride that lets me run for longer but not get as winded. It's a shorter stride jog and it doesn't make my shin splints as sore. I am trying really hard to not over extend my foot as I read that is what makes your shins ache so bad.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Meg
Moderator/Farmgirl True

974 Posts

Meg
Idaho
USA
974 Posts

Posted - May 19 2008 :  08:18:31 AM  Show Profile
Alee, I just found this thread and read all of your posts and I am totally motivated! You are awesome!! I have been walking more in the afternoons now that the weather is nice but thanks so much for the extra motivational push! Isn't fresh air one of the best things on earth?

MaryJane's daughter,

Meg
megan@maryjanesfarm.org
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Getting Out there- Share with us Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page