Page: of 2

Crafty Chic
True Blue Farmgirl

64 Posts

Melissa
West Plains MO
USA
64 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  12:50:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Crafty Chic a Yahoo! Message
Ronna, would it be ok to post the poem on my blog?

Visit our Farmgirl Chapter Blog:
http://country-chicks.blogspot.com
Visit me at my other blogs:
family-fixins.blogspot.com
wwwmyblessedworld.blogspot.com
Visit our Etsy Store:
Heart2Home
www.heart2home.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  1:12:07 PM  Show Profile
Sure, I just wish it had a name attached to it for credit. It came in an email to me. If anyone knows of the author, please lets give credit. Someone posted something just a day or so back that should have had credit for the author, maybe I should add that to her posting.
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  4:13:32 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Can you recommend a good sturdy easy to install clothesline for my garage??? I was thinking just some rope and hooks. Also, I need a little drying rack for Charlie's small stuff, socks, etc...

: )

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  4:19:06 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
I love the pic too!

"NEVER underestimate the power of a woman."
farmgirl #71 Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  4:22:08 PM  Show Profile
They make spring loaded ones for temporary use. Hook on either end, and just reel it out when needed and back in when you aren't. Nice for use in a rental or when you don't have the ability to set one up forever yet.
Go to Top of Page

handyam
True Blue Farmgirl

394 Posts

Ada Mae
Greensburg KY.
USA
394 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  7:46:45 PM  Show Profile
All those "rules" about a clothes are the rules I grew up with. It was very important "what the neighbors thought" about your wash. Long towels first, medium ones next, then the wash cloths. Socks-matched in pairs. My daughters thought it was so funny when helping my mom hang out clothes she would tell them to "flirt out the clothes" (shaking them several times to remove lint and wrinkles) before pinning them on the line. It was good in the winter to hang out the clothes and let them freeze--it made the whites whiter and all the clothes softer (according to my mother).
I usually take hangers to the line with me when the clothes are dry and put them on hangers before bringing them in. It helps to keep them from getting wrinkled from being in the clothes basket.

www.adasadorableaprons.blogspot.com

This is the day that the Lord has made.
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  2:00:41 PM  Show Profile
Ronna,
I Love the sharing with the poem and the rules.

Here is my story of the adventure of the clothesline poles.
I have been looking at this set of older poles that have been in this deserted piece of property that they are slowly demolishing. I have gotten daylilies, a deep purple lilac, peonies,trumpet vine, and now clothesline poles. They are all a delight to me. Yes, with permission ladies. They are using the area to dump dirt in and road junk from contruction.

So a few weeks back dh and I decided we better go attempt to get them because they will be under the dirt piles soon.
So we take gloves and shovels and my little Geo over to do the job. We had dug and dug and dug and dug. They were 4 feet down and not put in with sac crete but Portland cement which was much heavier. They cement was 4 ft down as well. Yes, we used lots and lots of leverage and drank lots of water and tugged and pulled and then there was delivery!!!!!!! One out and one to go. We got help from our daughter and son in law, these old folks were having a tough time with these puppies. Finally they were out and we put them in my little Geo, alias truck, and drove home with over half of them hanging out!!!!!!!
Yes, they are sitting in my back yard thanks to my sil and daughter. Someday we will get them in the ground, just give us a few weeks to rest. Yes, older is better!!!!!!!!!

listening to the quiet moments
Farmgirl #39
www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  2:33:44 PM  Show Profile
Older is better for what....besides knowledge, experience and fine wine. Just asking :)
I think you get a medal for perseverance!
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  2:40:02 PM  Show Profile
Older clotheslines poles are better and being older, I realize how much more I appreciate out of life.
The fine wine sounds good though girl, gonna bring me a glass?

Farmgirl #39
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  2:40:16 PM  Show Profile
Pam, I love your clothesline and all that open space! Heaven!

Hugs, Maryjane Lee
Farmgirl Sister #44

http://thebeehivecottage.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  2:42:40 PM  Show Profile
Carol Sue...you know I am a Tea person...will that do? I'll have to go toss some in the box I'm filling for you so I don't forget.
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  7:41:00 PM  Show Profile
LOL, drat I forget that, but tea you know I won't refuse!!!!!

Farmgirl #39
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  7:56:38 PM  Show Profile
Carol Sterl could probably find you some moonshine when we go back to the mountains HA

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  8:43:38 PM  Show Profile
Bet if you found Carol Sue some moonshine, she'd sleep good even without your pillows Miss Wilma!
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  9:33:33 PM  Show Profile
very funny you too, moon shine.....hmmmmmm always wanted to try some.....seriously.....no laughing.....

Farmgirl #39
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  9:37:23 PM  Show Profile
Honey you dont want to try moon shine HA

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sugarplum
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

RoseMarie
MS
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  9:38:57 PM  Show Profile
You know I still have mine up think I'll use it tomorrow, Oh no, I forgot you have to wash them first. I guess I'll cross that out, laundry is not my favorite thing to do. I do love my laundry room though. I have read this before too, someone just recently had it on their blog. Night, Night, RoseMarie

www.sugarplumcottage.blogspot.com

www.sugarplumcottage.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2008 :  09:56:44 AM  Show Profile
My clothesline today - it's so nice and fresh outside after a week of rain!

My blog: http://thecottonwife.wordpress.com/

"John Deere. We stand behind everything we sell. Except the manure spreader."
Go to Top of Page

Pearlsnjeans
True Blue Farmgirl

248 Posts

Vicki
West Haven Utah
USA
248 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2008 :  8:26:09 PM  Show Profile
Love the rules and poem. I also grew up with these rules, especially remember sheets on the outside and "unmentionables" on the inside. I've been digging up some of my yard to put in a garden and my two sons are going to put up some clotheslines for me. I can't wait to see the clothes waving in the breeze just like Peanut's.

Wonderful memories

Vicki

Farmgirl Sister #120
Farmgirls are elegant
Go to Top of Page

nelia48
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Cora
Spring Hill FL
USA
43 Posts

Posted - May 01 2008 :  04:49:35 AM  Show Profile
I grew up with clotheslines, too! And we had rules. Sheets got 3 clothespins, hung on the outer line, etc. Shirts were hung a certain way, underwear on the middle lines, etc. It was always my job to hang the wash and bring it in! Loved clean sheets and how they smelled!!!! Cora

http://hiddenrichessecretplaces.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - May 01 2008 :  09:19:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Ronna,

I guess you made a few of us cry! Your poem brought back so many memories to me of my mother hanging our things on the clothesline and rushing to take everything off when she saw clouds forming in the sky and the wonderful smell of the freshly folded things that she took off the line and my sisters and my crinalons (big full lacy slips) that she carefully starched and hung out to dry!!! I often wish I had a clothes line when I think off all the things I end up hanging in my laundry room that I don't want to put in the dryer.............every time I hang something I think of my loving mother and the fact that she hung Everthing out to dry.....We had no dryer when I was little and were lucky to have a washing machine! Thanks for the notalgia trip!! It is a nice start to my day!

Audrey
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - May 01 2008 :  7:46:45 PM  Show Profile
I was hoping someone might know the author of the poem, so we could give credit where it's due. Lots of memories, mostly good at that!
Go to Top of Page

Sagewood
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

South Carolina
106 Posts

Posted - May 02 2008 :  06:33:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Sagewood a Yahoo! Message
Ronna,
I know someone has already asked, but I'd love to put this on my Hedgewife blog if it would be ok along with a challenge (sort of) for all the blogging farmgirls to post pictures of their clothes lines. Would this be an ok thing for you since this is your post? Let me know! Thanks again for the rules and the poem, they are very cool!

Sage,
The Hedgewife
Are you a Hedgewife?
http://hedgewife.blogspot.com/
Hiding in the broom closet.
http://sagewoodfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - May 13 2008 :  12:34:24 PM  Show Profile
The "rules" are going to come in handy with my new clothesline since I can barely remember using the one we had when I was little. :D

We're building it this weekend and I can't wait!

~Amanda in OK~

Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered by your old nonsense. -Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Bfriday
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

Jessica
Miles TX
125 Posts

Posted - May 13 2008 :  1:05:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Bfriday an AOL message
Anyone have tips for hanging jeans? And does anyone use pants streachers? Where can you get them? My husband likes his jeans creased and starched. Is there a way to hang them to get a better crease without streachers?

Farmgirl Sister #188
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic all about clothes lines Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page