goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  08:49:18 AM  Show Profile
I see where you guys are coming from but how do you regulate what someone else says or think?? We still have the first Ammendment but with political correctness, no one wants to challenge anything, not to mention you'd probably get sued by someone who is motivated by money, not the real reason. ALWAYS follow the money and more than likely, you'll get your true answer.

I don't say a lot in real life, I actually talk more on the net than I do in real life but you can't keep people from thinking whatever...I just try to have manners enuf to keep my thoughts to myself as I really don't want to hurt anyone...but I do think about this stuff. When someone says that 'we' need a dialogue on whatever topic, it seems to me that means they talk and I'm to listen, which doesn't go over well with me.

At any rate, I'm glad we can talk and I have to get on the road to deliver my next load but it's been fun going back and forth! I love a good debate!!

Winona :-)

When you lose, don't lose the lesson!!

http://goneriding.wordpress.com/

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  09:00:45 AM  Show Profile
I don't really want stick my foot in wrong, but there is no excuse for poor manners and a crass attitude. EVERYONE has a right to culture and language, this guy needs a lesson from my grans.

Annika
Farmgirl sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
http://innermountainmudhens.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoonsgarden.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  09:03:52 AM  Show Profile
The first amendment protects freedom of speech from restriction by Congress. Citizens have every right to protest what a representative says or does through their right to vote. Citizens have the capability of being the ultimate regulator, if they choose to exercise that right.

My blog: http://thecottonwife.wordpress.com/

"John Deere. We stand behind everything we sell. Except the manure spreader."
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  09:06:53 AM  Show Profile
I'm jumping in here late, but if America is such a melting pot why do we (schools, stores, billboards) primarily print in Spanish and English, not English and some other language.

A friend teaches 3rd grade and she has students that speak 9 different Asian languages, Indian, Middle Eastern languages along with Spanish, but all the papers that go home are only printed in English and Spanish. Why? I agree the cost to schools would go down if we printed in only one language. I worked with a guy who came to CA from Mexico when he was young. He started school not knowing a word of English. He said it was the hardest year of his life, but by the end of it he was speaking English as well as the rest of his class. Why do we spend so much time and money easing them into the language?

Other ethnicities who immigrate to America consider it their duty to learn English so they can fit in and show other Americans they are serious about being in America and becoming American while valuing their own culture as well. But it seems that the Mexicans just want us to accomodate them. I guess they don't realize that if they spoke English or spoke it better there would be a lot more job opportunites for them and they may not be taken advantage of so much.

What's sad also is that their kids are suffering because parents can't help with school work so the cycle is just perpetuated producing mutiple generations of people who can't really function in American society. Now they want to be taken care of too! What's next? How many people (through taxes and social services)is my little paycheck suppose to support?

My little rant for the day
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  09:24:26 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Let's please remember that we have people of all nationalities, all income levels, and all education levels that read this board. Anytime we make generalizations, of which I have been guilty of, we risk putting our foot in our mouths- and worse- hurting those who we consider friends, neighbors and sisters.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Society too sensitive? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page