True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2008 :  10:25:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Ladies!

About a month and a half ago I was sewing very late at night- I just wanted to finish up the project I was working on and was being very...uh very very... single minded about what I was doing. So much so that I did not realize my finger was headed towards certain disaster under the sewing needle. Yup that's right I sewed my finger. The needle broke off, but luckily I could pull it out. Also luckily I didn't bleed on my project.

Now, I know my mom has done this. I have even seen her do it...but please tell me my mom and me aren't the only ones that make goofs like this? (Not that I want anyone else to have sewn their finger! That hurts too much!)

I also remember a time I was hurrying to sew a button on my husband's shirt before work and managed to sew my shirt to his. That didn't work quite right either! LOL

I can laugh looking back- but at the time both were really stressful situations! Anyone else want to share a story of sewing goofs?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2008 :  10:31:23 PM  Show Profile
Remember the old addage, "Measure twice - cut once"? I swear I forget that & invaribly will goof up the direction or size...
I was working on a Maple Leaf quilt block, in a big hurry...only to realize I sewed two of the smaller blocks upside down...and on top of everything,,,it was for a group w/specific clors,,yep, I did it in the wrong color tones...My Bad!
So Alee, you are not alone in Sewing 101-disasters... lol!

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com
www.katmom44.blinkz.com
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2008 :  10:45:40 PM  Show Profile
I sewed a zipper in the hem end of a back seam in a dress once. And Alee - I used to be a bridal seamstress for a bridal shop and boy, did I ever have to watch the pin pricks - blood on a $2000 wedding gown is not good. I can just imagine sewing through my finger when I was working on one!!

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

homesteaderbelle
True Blue Farmgirl

391 Posts

Belle

USA
391 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2008 :  10:51:03 PM  Show Profile  Click to see homesteaderbelle's MSN Messenger address
Oh, I am sorry that happened to you......OUCH!

I have never sewn over my finger, but I have sewn things to my skirt before. I feel kind of dumb when I stand up from my sewing and sew that my project in sewn to me! I guess things like that happen.

Belle

http://www.homesteaderbelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

tziporra
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Robin
Seattle WA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  10:08:56 AM  Show Profile
Here's my favorite.....

I'm too lazy to take off the attachment on my serger that will enable me to use the free arm....

I'm stitching a circular seam of some kind (set-in sleeve, shirt cuff, etc.).....

Some fabric from another part of the garment gets pulled under the seam where I can't see it and SNIP SNIP SNIP --- the razor on the serger leaves an enormous hole right in the middle of the garment! ARG!!!!!!!!!!

The moral -- no serging when tired. Or anything that requires the use of razor blades, really.

Best,

Robin
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  10:45:12 AM  Show Profile
Robin - that's happened to me too! So aggravating - not much you can do with a hole!

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  11:20:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sergers scare me! LOL Really want one because I am sure it would be awesome to have those great finished seams...but all those bobbins and razor blades? yikes!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  11:29:47 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
I like the story of Belle sewing the project to her skirt! I think that is funny.
I did catch my finger once back in high school. It went right through the edge and my finger was too tough to bleed or anything...callused.
I was very lucky.
I have sewn things to clothes, scraps lying there, other pieces laying to close, etc. I have sew folds that were't supposed to be there. I had to just take it out and keep going,,,

"NEVER underestimate the power of a woman."
farmgirl #71 Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

theoanne
True Blue Farmgirl

282 Posts

teddie
CARROLLTON GA
282 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  6:42:49 PM  Show Profile
I Sewed my finger YEARS ago when I was first learning. and YES it hurt. I figured that was one of those things you only do once. Well fast forward about 40 years! I did it again. I was sewing something very thick and was concentrating so hard on where I was sewing that I forgot to look at where my fingers were. The first time it was just inexperience. I think this time was old age!
I also have learned to quit when your tired, even if there is only a little bit to finish. When your tired no matter how easy the area you are sewing you will mess it up. And then there is the ripping out......... (smile)
Have you ever gotten stuck on how to sew a specific area? I mean it really puzzles you and you can't figure it out no matter how hard you try. Usually if I leave it alone and sleep on it it will come to me how to do it. I have even woke up in the middle of the night and realized how to complete the task.
Thank goodness I don't have a serger!!!! :)

TEDDIE

Too blessed to be stressed!
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  7:43:41 PM  Show Profile
Alee- I sewed my finger through the nail when Bella was about 6 months old. Had to rush down to the health dept for a tetanus shot and everything! I too saved my project and finished it the moment I got home (with a new package of needles!)
Sorry to hear about your accident but you are in good company! Rebekka

www.bebebella.etsy.com

As a woman I have no country. As a woman, my country is the whole world.

Virginia Woolf
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  7:50:29 PM  Show Profile
When I took Home Ec we all had to have our parents sign a paper that said the school could get us emergency help because once a girl sewed through the nail of her finger and it got stuck. Before they could do anything, they had to get ahold of the parents. Ouch!

http://plumcreekmama.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  8:14:20 PM  Show Profile
I have sewed my finger with the sewing machine also. I have sewed projects to my own clothes. I have sewed pieces of the project onto other areas of the project. Put sleeves in upside down, wrongs sides to wrong sides, biases the wrong way, cut things out wrong.... yup... lot's of oops over the years. You are certainly not alone! =)

Every path has its puddle. We have a choice - Turn around, walk around, or jump in and have fun!
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2008 :  08:53:29 AM  Show Profile
I've sewn into my finger, my fingernail, etc. . .but my most common mistake when I used to make more of my own clothing was to put a sleeve in wrong-side out, and discover it when I tried it on. I don't even know how many times that happened (you'd think I'd learn. . .) I also have learned that there comes a point when I'm too tired and start making little mistakes which will lead to bigger mistakes; I need to recognize that it's time to stop for the night. I did that zipper in the hem end a few times, too!
Go to Top of Page

mommatracy
True Blue Farmgirl

490 Posts

Tracy
My. Olive NC
USA
490 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2008 :  09:06:36 AM  Show Profile
Yes I've sewn through my finger more than once. I have an industrial Singer machine that I used for many years in my custom drapery and bedding business. It usually happened at night when I was tired. Always the same finger and boy did it hurt! The machine was so fast it would catch my finger in a nanno second.

www.cottagebythebay.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2008 :  09:20:34 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I still have a scab INSIDE my finger. Ick. How long is this going to take? It punched all the way through my finger- I could have put an earing in and had a pierced finger! How weird would that be?!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2008 :  10:33:11 PM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh, I can't count the number of times I've sewn a piece on inside out or put buttonholes on the wrong side of a top. The worst was spilling eye shadow on my wedding dress while I was fitting it on myself. I'm sure my heart stopped beating there for a minute!

I do remember my mom sewing her thumb with the machine late one night while working at home (she was a professional seamstress). The next day I went with her to the doc and he took an x-ray and then removed the piece that had broken off. OUCH!

Jana

Edited by - Jana on Apr 23 2008 10:35:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  07:37:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Ugh! I am so glad I didn't have to go to the doctor. I sure was unhappy there for a few minutes. I am really lucky it only got the flesh part of the side of my finger tip and didn't go through my finger nail. OUCH ugh. I squirm in my seat just thinking about it! LOL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Sewing Mistakes- Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page