asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2008 :  1:09:39 PM  Show Profile
We are about to commit to a architectural design for the remaining part of our 1912 house remodel. We talked to architects a few years ago, but ended up putting things on hold due to finances. Now we are ready to begin again. It is kinda scary with the economy the way it is, so we are doing this in phases. We will had initial drawings done that lay out the design so that we can see how expanding our upstairs bathroom will fit into this new addition. Then we will gut and redo the bathroom this year - doing as much ourselves as we can. Then in about 18 to 24 months we will get the contractor drawings, permits, etc to do the back of the house. Some might say why go to the expense, just have the contractor sketch it out and build - well that is fine for some, but this is an old house, we want the addition to be a smooth flow from old to new and with the requirements put on us from the city of Portland architectural drawings are pretty much a must both for the city and a bank loan. I think we found a good architect who understands that this not to be a massive, expensive remodel - that we want to reuse things such as our solid hardwood doors we have saved from other parts of the house and that we want to keep the cost down as much as we can by doing some of the work ourselves. Has anyone else out there gone through such a process and how was it for you from start to end. In a way I am excited about finally see how our ideas will look on paper - I have a scrap book of magazine clippings of things I hope we can do. I will let you all know how this works.

Anne in Portland, OR

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2008 :  1:11:51 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
OH!! Pictures please!! I am so excited for your Anne!!!

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

handyam
True Blue Farmgirl

394 Posts

Ada Mae
Greensburg KY.
USA
394 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2008 :  1:56:35 PM  Show Profile
I was always excited to get started on a new project. My husband and I redid an old farmhouse(while living in it). My dad was a carpenter and did most of the work--mostly on weekends and holidays. He added so many extra touches. I can't think of ever moving off and leaving it.

www.adasadorableaprons.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2008 :  2:11:12 PM  Show Profile
Well we are living in it so to speak. The first phase of our remodel was when we first moved in about 11 years ago. The house was neglected - in one way it was good because the windows were original and so was the wood work - in the other way we had bad electrical, layers of peeling dirty wall paper and a carpet that should have been tossed 20 years earlier - not too mention peeling paint and cobwebs older then me. So we knocked walls out, peeled paper, repaired wood work or replaced it, had new electrical service put in and new hardwood floors. But the problem is where our kitchen, downstairs bathroom, small office and back entry is - this is all part of an old enclosed porch - no foundation, terrible materials, etc. It has to go - meaning tore down, we can't fixed it. This is what the new design will do for us, plus it will also expand our upstairs. So hopefully by our house's 100th birthday, we can show it off and celebrate. At least that is the plan - we will see.

Anne in Portland

Edited by - asnedecor on Apr 20 2008 2:12:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

handyam
True Blue Farmgirl

394 Posts

Ada Mae
Greensburg KY.
USA
394 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2008 :  7:42:17 PM  Show Profile
One of the things I remember about our house was that there was only 1 electrical outlet per room and it was half way up the wall. Also, there was not a single closet.

www.adasadorableaprons.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2008 :  06:50:29 AM  Show Profile
When we moved in 90% of the lights were pull string - no switches - and of those lights only a 1/3 worked. Most of them the wiring was bad. Since then we have re-wired in the main rooms and have switches and working fixtures. Also I can relate to the closet thing, we have just a couple and very small - no storage what so ever. We are slowly adding closets and storage.

Anne in Portland

Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2008 :  07:51:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
It is a slow process, Anne. But you're saving a ton of money by doing anything you can yourselves. It sounds like you're doing everything right - slow and careful. You'll be glad you kept that scrapbook, too. We had to tear off two rooms from the back of our farmhouse and then rebuild and add the new addition(two floors instead of one) onto the back of the remaining house. I wish I had kept a folder with ideas/pictures like you have. That's a great idea.
Please show us pics whenever you can. And savor and enjoy the process itself. Hasn't it been a wonderful learning experience? I know you're proud of your accomplishments! You've earned congratulations and bragging rights, too. Please keep us up to date on your progress. I love reading about everybody's remodeling/building success stories! :)

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2008 :  08:14:29 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Janice-

You posted a lot of photos here and descriptions of the work- you could always print that topic off and put it in a binder! :D

Anne- You house sounds amazing! I so want an old house to rehabilitate some day! But then I want to do a straw bale house too! Maybe someday I will be blessed with the opportunity to do both!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2008 :  3:59:16 PM  Show Profile
It is slow and if our kitchen area had been built on a sound foundation we would have just kept going with the remodel, but we came to a dead halt and realized we were up against something a bit bigger then us. So after we get the plans and the bathroom gets done, the architect said he could help us find a contractor that is willing to work with people who want to contribute some sweat equity to the finished product. When we get the first drawings I will scan and post and when we start demo on the bathroom I will post then too.

Anne in Portland

Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - May 01 2008 :  06:47:37 AM  Show Profile
The architect came yesterday and measured our whole house and the property. They do this so when the plan is done up for the addition we can see how it will flow from the old part of the house to the new. They old measure our windows, doors and take notes on the type of trim and moulding we have as well as the floors. We also talked a bit more about "green" building material and he assured us that all they recommend are non-toxic, green materials for their plans and they can help us find contractors that follow that same philosophy. He also gave DH and I a form to fill out for each room on how we would like it to look and feel. He said if you have photos or magazine clippings please attached - I almost started laughing, because I have a whole scrap book of ideas. So finally that will come in handy. This is all so exciting, but a bit scary because I have to spend money to have this done - oh well. At least we can do it in stages and not all at once.

Anne in Portland

Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - May 01 2008 :  07:44:36 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Thinking of it as 'not all at once' will help you not get overwhelmed. It does for me, anyhow. I just only let myself think about it in small(baby) steps. Focus on the excitement and joy!

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 01 2008 :  07:59:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh Anne! I am sure it will be lovely once it is all done!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2008 :  08:06:10 AM  Show Profile
I thought I would update on what has been going on so far. The architect gave DH and I both a form to fill out. It had a page for every room in the house, including the ones to be remodeled or added on. Our job was to put down the overall plan/ideas we wanted accomplish and then for the rooms that work was to be done in or on put what we were looking for - ie size, type of furniture that would be in the room, materials, etc. If we had pictures from magazines to include those as well. Here is the funny part - I worked on mine for about a week, adding, editing, etc. Then I spent an hour or so going through my scrap book to add pictures for ideas for the kitchen, etc. I had to keep bugging DH to do his because we are scheduled to meet with the architect and turn these in. Finally he does his - spends about 20 minutes typing and then gives me two pages to turn in. I have a whole book that I wrote. I have been thinking about this addition ever since we moved in and started remodeling - 10 years, he said he thought about this for about 15 minutes - men!

We meet with the architect this week for the next stage, so we will see what he has to say about our input.

Anne in Portland

Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2008 :  05:57:53 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
LOL! Men, indeed. I am so excited for you, Anne! This is HUGE! Savor every minute of it and keep us posted about it all! :)

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2008 :  7:22:59 PM  Show Profile
Well I just got done meeting with the architect - DH wasn't here had to work. Michael (the architect) had a drawing done (basic floor plan) of our existing house and then a simple rendering of what he thought we would like. First I have to say this is a very nice guy, but he was kinda off base on where we were heading. I felt so bad, but I basically redid his whole drawing, at least for the upstairs and bit of the downstairs. I kept saying I was sorry, but he was great, said that this is why we meet and talk. It just that he was touching/redoing walls that we did not want to touch or move - so about 10 minutes in the meeting I was already saying stop and no way. But after about an 1 1/2 hours, we came to a pretty good agreement on how things should flow. I did take out his little courtyard he thought would be nice, but added in a small deck with patio. I had to keep reminding myself that I am paying him and that we want what will work for us, not for him - but it's hard because he seemed kinda excited about what he came up with. He took it all very well and even brought white out to make the changes. So in about 15 to 20 days he will have a revised lay out and a 3D drawing of how the house will start to look on the outside. Hopefully I will have some electronic pictures I can post so you all can see where we are headed.

Anne in Portland, OR

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2008 :  8:16:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Anne-

I am sure the architect really didn't mind at all! I am sure he was excited about his drawing, as you want to make sure you are always doing your best work, but your best work isn't always what you want when you are designing for someone else- it is ALWAYS what works best for them. I bet your house will be great! It sounds like you have a great architect. I hope you get something electronic as well because I would love to see what he has come up with! :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2008 :  05:45:02 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Sounds exciting, Anne. It's hard for me sometimes to stand strong about what I want for our old house. Congrats on your strength and focus! Looking forward to pics, too! :)

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  07:05:17 AM  Show Profile
Well I thought I would update this - I have to do some scanning of the drawings and floor plans and will post later, but wow what an experience and eye opener. I went last week to meet with the architect on the finally first phase of drawings and to get an estimate construction cost. OH MY GOD!!! Fees to the city alone along with contractor drawings and structural engineer costs were around $60,000. Way out of our league. So now that DH and I have had time to get over the "sticker" shock, we are now looking at the plans on how we can cut it down and how much do we want left unfinished from the contractor so we can do the finish work. We are not tossing out the complete plans - the down stairs replacement of our kitchen, bath and back rooms is really nice and will work for us. It would be a new kitchen opening up to a family room with a 1/2 bath and laundry replacing the old bath that is down stair now. Perfect. Even part of the upstairs is good - the new expansion of the exisiting bathroom works (which we will be doing hopefully by this year), extra bedroom - nice size, not too small, not too large. New linen closet - fine. It is the master suite is where we can probably make changes - I have to admit they got a little carried away with the size of the whole thing. So as soon as I can scan some images I will post those.

Anne in Portland, OR

Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  07:45:29 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Ouch, Ann. Post pics when you can and keep us updated on what you two decide. I know you must be disappointed, not to mention shocked and dumbfounded.

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  06:49:42 AM  Show Profile
Here's another twist to our architect experience - after getting over the initial shock of how much it would cost to build - we got a bill from the architect. Now mind you, we had an agreement not to go over a certain $$ amount and when I paid the last bill I asked for a bit of an explanation so I understood and they told me I was paying for the drawings that they were dropping off and discussing with us - fine. Then they made some minor changes (all of about an hour worth of work) which they said would be some quick sketches to the floor plan - no big deal. So we assumed that we would probably get a final bill for some hours if we got a final bill. Well I got a bill in the mail the other day and it was about $4000, WHAT!!! There was an explanation attached to the bill, or I should say more of a sorry apology. They said that they were unaware that they had gone over our budget and that another schematic was done up (one we never saw)and that if we could as a courtesy pay a portion of the bill. In fact they said there was no obligation on our part. Well if there was no obligation, then why did we get the bill in the first place. So I scanned the bill and attached it to an e-mail back to them for a further explanation of how this could have gone unchecked with no communication from them that this was happening. That if whatever we decided how was that going to effect our future business with them when we decide to do contractor drawings (which we will need eventually) and that we were please with the plans but were second guessing our decision to go with them if this is how they handle billing. We then said we would wait for their response. As of now, I am still waiting.

Not sure how that is going to turn out - what a weird position to be put in.

Anne in Portland, OR

Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  07:18:12 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
That's just outrageous and inexcusable. That's too large a chunk for just an 'oops'. I'd have to see a line by line explanation of that, and even then, I don't know how much if anything I would feel obligated to pay.

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic New Phase for old House Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page