Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic weight questions Next Topic  

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2008 :  2:58:00 PM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
Anyone have true told tips for losing and maintaining weight. I know this should be in health but thought I'd try here. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. I am walking more and working out and trying to eat well. But nothing......HELP

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."
http://ligonierfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://liggygirl.blogspot.com/
http://liggygirlslonggreen.blogspot.com/

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2008 :  7:08:32 PM  Show Profile
have you had your thyroid checked?

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt B
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

Terri
Chillicothe OH
USA
108 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2008 :  8:04:39 PM  Show Profile
Physical work out and low fat food is the key for me, but I have an awful hard time staying on low fat foods. I like pasta, cheese, and sausage too much.

I fell 3 years ago and had to have shoulder surgery. I gained weight because of lack of physical activity, but since Easter I am back at walking 2-3 miles 3 days a week and biking 5 miles once a week, plus weights twice a week and have lost 11 pounds.

Proud Farmgirl Sisterhood #168, Aunt B
http://www.hummingbirdsprings.blogspot.com
http://www.hummingbirdsprings.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2008 :  8:33:37 PM  Show Profile
Wow, Bridget, I'm sorry to hear this is still a difficulty for you. I find that working with WEIGHTS really challenges your muscles, and I lost more weight when I used them, or resistance bands. They both challenge the muscles in an active way. Walking is more PASSIVE, though it's definitely not a bad thing. Maybe some walking ankle and wrist weights during walking might help. Those "sore" feelings you get after a good workout means the muscles are being challenged (although definitely don't overdo it so you TEAR a muscle..yikes! Stretching before heavy working out helps). Also, do stuff that is active and fun. When I first started losing weight, I roller skated outside, and of course, dancing doesn't hurt, either! Good luck :)

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com
www.pumpkinpatchparlor.etsy.com

And Blogs:
agriculture: www.bigtownfarmer.blogspot.com
art: www.queenofcrows.blogspot.com
animals: www.big-luv.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2008 :  9:40:41 PM  Show Profile
Walk 30 minutes a day (all at once if possible) at a good speed...still be able to talk without being out of breath, 6 days a week...at about the 3 week mark your metabolism kicks in and the weight starts falling off.

Also, do away with butter,cheese, bread, margarine, meat...use nut oils instead....pasta is ok..Eat fresh fish, tofu, fresh veggies (raw or steamed) all you want.

It reduces stress and get you back in shape.

Stephanie
www.queenofdreamsz.blogspot.com
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.blogspot.com
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Em
True Blue Farmgirl

137 Posts

Emme
Carnation WA
137 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2008 :  10:03:31 PM  Show Profile
I just wanted to give you the link to www.westonaprice.org This is an incredible site about real, non-fad nutrition that may help. "Low-fat" isn't always a good idea in the way we think of it today. Obviously high fat isn't good either though! But you do need a certain amount of good fat each day, or your body isn't going to let go of what it has. Its about choosing healthy fats, and knowing what "eating well" really means. Its so confusing out there these days to know what's really good for you. Hope it helps a little! Good luck!

Farmgirl Sister #138
Go to Top of Page

N Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Marie
Seattle Washington
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2008 :  1:30:11 PM  Show Profile
I'm in the same boat. My goal is to lose 10 pounds and lower my cholesterol (WAY too high). So far, after a month of struggling with eating less and eating the right things, I've lost about 4 lbs. My reply was starting to get way too long, so I've posted it on my blog.

Some highlights, though, are below:
1. If you've lost a pound, reward yourself.
2. Eliminate high-fructose corn syrup and other over-processed and evil products.
3. Cut back/out unhealthy snack foods, but don't deprive yourself of healthy things you love.
4. Eat very small portions.
5. Don't clean your plate.

Hope this helps. I've only got 10 lbs. to lose, so of course it might sound like I've got it easy, but I've heard it's harder to lose "that last 10," and keep it off. I'm 5'5", and only weighed 147-148 when I started, but my cholesterol is way too high for a 23 -year-old (about 42). Even though the "experts" say I should weigh about 130-135, I've decided to only try for 137, because any more than that and I think I would look unhealthy.

http://yarnfoodcoffee.typepad.com/
The Age of Discovery in a Nutshell:
-I claim this land in the name of England.
-You can't claim it, we live here!
-Do you have a flag?...
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic weight questions Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page