junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2008 :  12:03:49 PM  Show Profile
This is a question for the computer whizzes. I'm buying a small laptop and the only software you get right now with new computers is Microsoft Vista. I've used the XP software, and prefer that, but now that's becoming obsolete...according to the rep that helped me. I want the best protection against hacking, so I thought I needed Nortel software installed. The rep told me that Vista software has an excellent firewall, and I didn't need Nortel, as it would slow everything up. I am having Spyware installed. I don't know. Any opinions out there, or experience with Vista? Should I get Nortel installed for added protection? Thanks-

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2008 :  12:29:41 PM  Show Profile
Judy, I'm no computer whiz, but I am going through the same issue as you are; thinking about a new computer purchase. I am pretty sure you still have the option of purchasing new computers with XP if you don't want Vista.

I was checking out the DELL website last week and one of the queries asked was did I want XP or Vista...so your Sales Rep may just be trying to sell you the new Vista. I also asked the IT guy at my office about this, since I still hear Vista has so many problems. He confirmed that, and recommended that I stick with the XP version.

Hope that helps. Maybe you could print info off the DELL website and show your sales Rep, as he/she may just not be aware that consumers still have the choice.

Good luck!

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"

Edited by - Hideaway Farmgirl on Apr 16 2008 12:30:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

napafarmhouse1885
True Blue Farmgirl

208 Posts

diane
napa ca
USA
208 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2008 :  4:51:10 PM  Show Profile
i have heard nothing but horror stories regarding vista. i suggest you google it to see if there are stories or reviews of this product. i have not heard that xp is becoming obsolete. please let us know what you find out...

best,
napafarmhouse1885

please visit my blog
www.napafarmhouse1885.blogspot.com

www.napafarmhouse1885.com

"Whatever you can do or dream, begin it"
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2008 :  5:15:35 PM  Show Profile
My daughter has a new laptop with Vista and hates it. It might be because she is just used to XP, but she seems to always be having an issue with it.
Also Judy, I think it's Norton you are referring to. I buy it for my computer and even with windows firewall activated, Norton still picked up and stopped a trojan virus earlier this year. So with just one potential disaster, it has paid for itself. This of course is just my opinion and I'm certainly no computer whiz, but I wouldn't want to be without it.
Di
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2008 :  5:34:12 PM  Show Profile
Here is some info on the lifecycle of XP.

quote:
Microsoft has already made changes in its timetables. Last year, the company extended the sales life cycle -- the time during which PC manufacturers and system builders could sell computers with XP installed -- to June 30, 2008. It will stop selling XP altogether on Jan. 31, 2009. And it extended the mainstream support period for XP to April 14, 2009, in an effort to reassure customers made nervous by the long delays in shipping Vista.

The result of all this tweaking is that Microsoft will stop selling XP long before it stops supporting it. You may be able to run XP for as long as you want, but before too long you may not be able to buy a legitimate copy of XP to run.

Copied from http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9070119

Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2008 :  5:41:54 PM  Show Profile
I also can tell you that Vista is a major resource hog. If you do not have a pretty "beefy" pc it will not work nicely.

I work in IT and we will start phasing out xp probably in the spring 09 time frame....It's a nightmare for us we have hundreds of pc users and to be on 2 operating systems can be a support nightmare. However with the economy right now upgrading all the hardware and software is a financial nightmare......Not sure of which one of those will win the decision....I am glad I don't have to weigh that decison out.

Side note...Office 03 is also phasing out. Office 07 has a complete new look and feel.It does have some nifty new features. We will be switching to 07 in the next month at work. I already upgraded my home to Office 07.

Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2008 :  5:43:49 PM  Show Profile
I also agree that I would run a Anti-virus program. Norton is my product of choice, plus I get it free a a work "perk"

Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2008 :  6:28:34 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, everyone, for your responses. I just came in, so I didn't have a chance to check the posts. You're right, Diane, I meant Norton...not Nortel. (ooops) ;) Just goes to show you how sharp I am about this stuff. :D I checked out the Dell website, and got a phone number for customer service. I called, and the rep said that XP is still being offered, but it is being phased out, like Bridgette said. Well...I went ahead and did purchase a Dell laptop with the Vista software. Instead of Norton protection, I had Trend Micro antivirus installed with the Spyware, which is another brand of antivirus...I think. Now we'll see how I do with Vista...sheeesh....ain't technology fun!?

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic computer question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page