Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Ivy slowly choking my dogwood tree
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Ivy slowly choking my dogwood tree Next Topic  

LisaBee
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Lisa
Sparta TN
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2005 :  12:23:09 AM  Show Profile  Send LisaBee a Yahoo! Message
I have noticed that one of my trees is full of ivy - twisting all the way up through the branches. I think the previous owners of the house planted it as a border around the base of the tree. How do I kill the ivy (without pesticides) before it kills my tree? The only solution I was given (even after I said I want to treat my yard organically) was to cut the ivy at the base and stick the ends into a jar of Round-Up, where they would suck it up like a straw and send it through the vines. Does anyone have a better solution than this? Thanks.

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2005 :  12:57:16 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Maybe try the same thing with either pure bleach or vinegar?
Go to Top of Page

LisaBee
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Lisa
Sparta TN
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2005 :  01:06:34 AM  Show Profile  Send LisaBee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the vinegar and bleach ideas. I am going to try the vinegar first and see what happens over the winter.
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2005 :  03:50:14 AM  Show Profile
What kind of ivy is it? English ivy? Boston ivy? English ivy has dark green glossy leaves and can get thick woody stems. Boston ivy is deciduous and loses all its leaves in the winter. I have English ivy climbing up one of my siberian maple trees and it is not killing it. I know in Tenn. ivy can be more of a problem, however, because of your milder climate. Here, if the ivy climbs unwanted on a house or into a tree, we just cut it and pull it off. I don't see the need to use any herbicide, natural or not. If you cut the ivy at the bottom, the top runners will die -- Roundup would be used if one wants to kill the roots in the ground. Is the ivy shading out the dogwood leaves? Is it hanging from the top of the tree or from the branches? You might want to ask your university extension whether the ivy will really kill the tree -- it may not. Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2005 :  06:48:45 AM  Show Profile
I would cut it off at the roots, let it die, then pull it out of the tree. Unless you get the roots out of the ground it will grow back. But if you just keep an eye on it and pull it out everytime it starts to grow you should be able to keep a handle on it. We have a very mild climate here and ivy just takes over everything. I hate it.

I'm still hot...it just comes in flashes.
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2005 :  5:02:17 PM  Show Profile
I would be worried about any chemical you use leaching into the soil and poisoning the tree you are wanting to save. I would cut it myself. I hate ivy and would never plant it, but I've also bought houses that have many things I would never plant.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain

http://ljrenterprises.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2005 :  7:30:56 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
We like the ivy, but only about three feet up the tree. When our english ivy gets taller than that, we chop it off and let it die - by then you can more easily remove it from the upper branches.
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Ivy slowly choking my dogwood tree Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page