Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2008 :  05:48:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
What about waxed paper? You could cut a square of waxed paper and fold around the sandwich like a present and then tape in the center. I wonder if that would be more ecofriendly than a plastic box?

I send Doug to work with a bag lunch almost every day. We do use the reusable plastic containers for now, but I am hoping to get away from them too. Supposedly he should be responsible enough to take glass... supposedly. LOL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2008 :  06:46:09 AM  Show Profile
I suppose I could use wax paper. I'd like something reusable though. I need something bigger than those sandwich boxes. We use buns & sub rolls a lot for lunches.

I'm going over to Kiwi's site to have a look-see.

http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2008 :  07:01:56 AM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
if you do use waxed paper for sandwiches there is no reason to tape it. just folr the top over 2 or 3 times and smooth down, rold ends under. place sandwich folded side down. there is "eco friendly" waxed paper but it is very pricey! i wouldnt reccomend glass containers for kids. heck i dont reccomend them for husbands! peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

barnagainkristin
True Blue Farmgirl

465 Posts

Kristin
Utah
USA
465 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2008 :  6:23:36 PM  Show Profile
I did a little research once on waxed paper bags since we were trying to be more environmentally conscious and found out they are a petroleum product so we decided that wasn't the route we wanted to take. I still love them and the way they seem old fashioned since my grandma used to use them. Any input on if you think they are a good idea or not, let me know.

barnagainkristin
Go to Top of Page

jinia
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

jinia
mo
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2008 :  8:16:58 PM  Show Profile
I can't believe this is what yall are talking about! Yesterday I was thinking about this for my son. He takes a lunch box everyday with plastic containers and his thermos. But those containers take up a lot of room in the box and my cabinet...Thought of the wax paper, but also saw the problem with petroleum..Found thesehttp://www.happy-sacks.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=138 I like the idea of these. I was also wondering about using just butcher paper. I know it is not reusable, but very biodegradable! Always on the quest of the perfect containers/storage things!!!
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2008 :  03:56:55 AM  Show Profile
I'm thinking of sewing my own now. Is that a silly idea? I was wondering if I could use oil cloth? I really want to use something that is reusable. I love those happy-sacks. Very cute. Why can't I make my own?

Is oil cloth safe? Is there an alternative?

Go to Top of Page

jinia
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

jinia
mo
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2008 :  7:23:02 PM  Show Profile
I know there are several tutorials online about making your own HappySac-ish thing...I am not sure about the oil cloth.
Go to Top of Page

SDPogue
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Sara
Pullman Washington
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2008 :  12:45:06 PM  Show Profile
We purchased a stacking lunch box at an asian market for about $5 and we love it. It keeps foods seperated and gives us something new to use. My son likes it when I make him noodle salads and mock sushi.
Recently we found a little book on Lunches (something like lunch boxes and snacks) and they had some great ideas for wraps and sandwiches.
We are going to have the added challenge of having to remove gluten from our son's diet so lunches from home will have to be all he gets.

See what I have been up to in my community. www.geocities.com/sdpogue
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2009 :  04:46:28 AM  Show Profile
I've been thinking about this topic for a few days now. Mostly because school is starting up in a few weeks and I need some ideas.

Then last night they ran a segment about hot dogs causing cancer. My dh is sometimes slow to get on the bandwagon -but this caught his eye. He eats lunch meat sandwiches just about every day. There's nitrates in lunch meat too!

I need some healthy alternatives for him. He packs everyday - does not have access to a microwave most days. I know he'd grow tired of salads. (I have to pack something for break & lunch).

I'm going to look through this post to see what else I can come up with for everyone.

Go to Top of Page

Tammyb
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Tammy
Bluffton Ohio
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  12:51:01 PM  Show Profile
I have several bags from the happy sacks folks and love them.

Tammyb

Live to leave a legacy

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Brown Bag Challenge Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page