Carol
Moderator/MaryJane's Design Diva

452 Posts

Carol
Moscow Idaho
USA
452 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2008 :  1:05:03 PM  Show Profile
In our latest magazine, "She's a Keeper" (on newsstands nationwide on April 29; subscribers will be getting their copies any day), you'll find the following "Brown Bag Challenge" in our HomeSafeHome section:

With everyone becoming increasingly skittish about the origins of the food they eat, it’s time to go down as brown. In fact, brown is very much green, especially if you pack your lunch in a reusable bag each time.

And don’t forget the kiddos. 143 millions pounds of beef from some very unhappy, tortured, sick cows was fed to schoolchildren last year before they got around to issuing a recall. (Hmmm, how do you recall beef that’s been eaten?)

Going down as brown has its rewards when you get on board today for the MaryJanesFarm “Brown Bag Challenge.” Create the best lunch you can dream up (extra points for homemade, double-extra points for organic) and get to work stuffing those sacks! Post pics along with recipes on our website, and if your rendition of a bag lunch is chosen, you’ll win a reusable cloth lunch bag, hand embroidered by my daughter, who, by the way, grew up on sack lunches. – MaryJane

So come on and bag it! ... Post your favorite recipes and pics here (please save your pics about 6" wide and 72 dpi) by June 1 and be a part of the challenge! Winner will be featured in our Aug/Sept 08 magazine, "Raising Jane."

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2008 :  1:25:00 PM  Show Profile
I love this!!! How fun!! I will work on it for sure. I pack my 4 youngest kid's lunches every single day and when I work (substitute teach) I either pack my own lunch or come home to eat since I live close to the school. This is great!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2008 :  1:30:08 PM  Show Profile
Oooh! How Superfun!!!! I brown-bag it almost everyday (ok, it's not a brown bag, per se, but it IS a reusable small shopper from a local breadshop)....I'll be mulling over my faves!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2008 :  1:30:26 PM  Show Profile
What a great idea! Especially since DH will be requiring sack lunches in order for us to save our $$$ for more pressing things. I had an idea for a sandwich the other day I thought he might like. I'll work on it asap.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
www.madrekarin.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  12:34:43 PM  Show Profile
I'll definitely be participating in this challenge as soon as I head back to work next week (our district is off for Spring Recess this week! ), since I always brown bag it (our school cafeteria lunches are, sad to say, just disgusting)!

"I believe in God, only I spell it Nature." -- Frank Lloyd Wright
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  1:48:42 PM  Show Profile
I have been taking my lunch to work for years, and love it.
I have a reusable cooler bag, with the ice packs.
I can't afford to go out to buy my lunch everyday. I rarely do that, perhaps once a month as a treat.
It forces me to be creative some days, and it uses up leftovers. And most importantly, anything I will bring from home will be ten times more nutricious and taste a lot better than anything I can get at a fast food place or the deli at a grocery store.

I just need to wean off the diet coke!

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

Aunt T
True Blue Farmgirl

73 Posts

Tricia
Robinson Illinois
USA
73 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2008 :  06:58:21 AM  Show Profile
I am a teacher and our cafeteria food is horrible! I always take my lunch to school in a kitchen towel tied up in a bundle. The towel doubles as my napkin as well! Since reading this yesterday I have put the challenge on my husband now! We are in!!!!!

Wish It, Dream It, Do It!
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2008 :  08:00:33 AM  Show Profile
I too teach and also bring my lunch. I can't wait to get the new mag to see what this challange is all about.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt T
True Blue Farmgirl

73 Posts

Tricia
Robinson Illinois
USA
73 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2008 :  09:58:36 AM  Show Profile
How is everyone doing with the challenge? I am still on track so far!

Wish It, Dream It, Do It!
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2008 :  10:02:56 AM  Show Profile
Still haven't gotten my magazine yet but I plan to join in as soon as I know what it is all about.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2008 :  11:07:29 AM  Show Profile
I take it just about everyday, so no big deal.

I do have to say that I forgot to mention on my previous post, that I use stainless steel untensils, cloth napkins, reusable containers and ice packs 99% of the time.

If I have a "sammich", I try to wrap it in foil, and will save that and recycle it.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

N Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Marie
Seattle Washington
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  12:40:34 AM  Show Profile
Ooh! I learned this trick from a cookbook by Jamie Oliver to cut out replace ice cubes or ice packs (what the heck is that blue goop they're filled with, anyway?)

If you pack juice boxes, freeze them, then take them out of the freezer a little while before you pack your lunches so they're thawed by the time lunch rolls round (I always pack them at night and stick the whole bag in the fridge, because Bo always grabs an energy drink from the fridge first thing in the morning.) This way, your juice is icy-cold, and your lunch stays nice and cool. It's too bad they don't make juice boxes in a grown-up size, though. Bo always complains that it's a tease to have such a tiny serving.

Farmgirl #181
http://yarnfoodcoffee.typepad.com/
The Age of Discovery in a Nutshell:
-I claim this land in the name of England.
-You can't claim it, we live here!
-Do you have a flag?...

Edited by - N Marie on May 09 2008 7:13:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - May 09 2008 :  9:05:01 PM  Show Profile
Marie
They do have adult sized juice boxes. It is that wine-in-a-box stuff. LOL

Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - May 10 2008 :  05:02:49 AM  Show Profile
HA! I have the feeling of MaryJane's dad(in the life book) -
I want to run over my husbands lunch box on the day he retires!!!
He has eaten oout of a box for 35 yrs and we both are going to have a lunch box burial when he can eat fresh food that's cold when it should be or hot when it should be.
Don't want to put a damper on the fun- I just can't find a new way to be motivated about this particular ritual- so you girls have a party- I'll watch and learn- but I'm still running over the lunch box when it's time!

Blessings,
Autumn
Farmgirl #49
http://simplytoday-autumn.blogspot.com/

Isaiah 40:31
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Go to Top of Page

kindacrunchymom
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Diane
In the thumb Michigan
94 Posts

Posted - May 20 2008 :  11:07:48 AM  Show Profile
Anyone have pics? (Or, do the pictures go elsewhere?)

Farmmom to my 3 year old farm tot, and wife to a country boy!
To learn more about me, here is my blog:
http://mcadmom.wordpress.com/

Go to Top of Page

kindacrunchymom
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Diane
In the thumb Michigan
94 Posts

Posted - May 20 2008 :  6:51:19 PM  Show Profile
Well, this isn't really a "lunch"--it's our after swim snack from tonight. For the last month or so we've been bringing a snack for after the pool so that I'm not tempted to stop somewhere or hit the vending machines No recipes here, just grapes, oranges, whole wheat lavash cut into hearts and stars with cheese to match--and a few animal crackers and oatios mixed together. In the bottle is apple juice we made today!

Mostly, though, I just like the bucket

Here is the food in the "pans":

Then you put the lids on:

Then they stack and the latch holds them together:

I'll try to share a recipe or two tomorrow or the next day--anyone else? I'd love some new ideas!

Edited by - kindacrunchymom on May 20 2008 6:55:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

kindacrunchymom
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Diane
In the thumb Michigan
94 Posts

Posted - May 20 2008 :  6:52:19 PM  Show Profile
Good grief--those are huge! I even resized them, I thought, sorry!!

Ack--crumbs on the counter and everything.

Edited by - kindacrunchymom on May 20 2008 6:56:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 20 2008 :  7:08:55 PM  Show Profile
I have to say I do not brown bag it. I MaryJanesfarm bag it. Each day I work at my church, I take my lunch in the bag from MJF, with her photo on all sides, and strong handles, and I get so many compliments on it!!!! IN it I put my water bottle, my chicken salad, crackers, yogurt and maybe a task bar. I love that bag, and it is even better than a brown one!!!!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on May 20 2008 7:10:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

chellybelly
True Blue Farmgirl

65 Posts

Michelle
Knoxville TN
USA
65 Posts

Posted - May 21 2008 :  05:00:07 AM  Show Profile
Well, we aren't technically able to brown bag it because we are homeschoolers. When we go out and about I always pack either snacks or lunch depending on how long we will be out.

We also belong to a homeschool co-op where the kids help prepare lunch each week. Our kids eat healthy, fresh foods and learn a little about cooking at the same time. We all love the sense of community that comes from preparing and eating a meal together.

Michelle

Farmgirl Sister #203
Go to Top of Page

happyhousewife
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

Mary
North Pole Alaska
201 Posts

Posted - May 21 2008 :  7:36:56 PM  Show Profile
And here I thought this thread was going to be filled with fun ideas for what to put in the bags...

Every time we go to the park, I see moms hauling bags from McDonald's and Wendy's. My kids want to eat too- but I want it to be healthy! I usually forget to plan ahead and then *I* am one of the junk-food-totin' mamas...
Go to Top of Page

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - May 25 2008 :  12:36:42 PM  Show Profile
Did you ever let your kids make "ants on a log"? Celery, stuffed with peanut butter and a few raisins (ants) on top. Even the littlest ones can add the ants.

We are also home schoolers to our 11 & 12 yr. olds and two of our grandsons, 9 & 4. All are boys and all enjoy helping out in the kitchen. After all, think about it, where did you learn fractions? I didn't learn them in the classroom, but by helping my mother in the kitchen.

We have tons of kid friendly recipes, if anyone is interested. Remember, if they help make it, they will usually eat it.

Farmgirls don't have hot flashes ~ They have power surges!
Go to Top of Page

happyhousewife
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

Mary
North Pole Alaska
201 Posts

Posted - May 25 2008 :  4:39:14 PM  Show Profile
I'm interested in kid-friendly recipes, Shi-anne! Thanks! I'll have to try the ants on a log. I've seen it before in recipe books, but I never remember to actually try making new things. It seems I'm always in a hurry. I don't want to be so boring! Help, please! :)
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2008 :  09:27:01 AM  Show Profile
Sheryl, I LOVE your signature line!!!

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  3:16:01 PM  Show Profile
I specifically remember eating "bumps on a log" in preschool, probably 25 years ago! Ok, actually I licked out the peanut butter and ate the raisins. Never did like celery.

I usually pack leftovers for lunch - casserole-type things that are one bowl, period - b/c it's just easier than trying to assemble the sandwich, side, condiments, etc etc. But right now I'm on a sandwich kick, so I basically bring the week's worth of condiments. Don't want a soggy sammich, and don't want to mess with hauling pickles and mayo back and forth!

I've discovered by putting whatever I can find in the fridge on my sandwiches that most often they're really good with hummus on them, or dip, or salad dressing, etc.

~Amanda in OK~

Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered by your old nonsense. -Emerson
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  9:57:30 PM  Show Profile
I have started to brown bag it when I run errands. I take a small bag cooler and throw a couple ice packs and some water or a diet coke, instead of buying it at the store. The water is free and a can of diet coke costs me 30 cents. My daugther has even started doing it if she goes with. If I think I might get hungry, I will throw a little snack in too.
My work lunchbox cooler thing is falling apart and raggedy. I can't wait to try to find something to replace it. I am going to try to be as creative and frugal as possible when I do. (The small bag cooler I use for errands is way too small to use.)

Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  12:42:43 AM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
mary i am just north of fairbanks! would love to chat but unless you have cell phone it would be long distance as we have summit telephone. perhaps we could meet over a coke at debs cafe in fairbanks on vanhorn?
my hubby works in a huge gold mine here and they not only have no choice but to carry lunch (townis a very logn drive!)but the powers that be took away their break shacks so they eat in thier trucks of cold food! is that any way to treat someone who works hard on a 12 1/2 hr shift? i used to send him homemade meals that he could heat now i have a real challenge of finding cold items that he will eat! usually he ends up with moose meat sandwiches on homemade bread, cherry pie (sadly i cannot find pie cherries even in the frozen foods so have to buy it)potato chips (he uses those to stay awake lol) and cheese, with a thermos of coffee and a reuseable bottle of water from the natural spring that is between us an town. he isnt one of those people who likes much in the way of cold food. peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Brown Bag Challenge Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page