Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 AH! Moment with Patterns
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic AH! Moment with Patterns Next Topic  

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2008 :  11:12:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am struggling to do a McCall's pattern for a toddler dress. I don't know why I am having such a hard time with it. I guess I just need to learn to read patterns better. but I FINALLY figured out that I needed not only a bodice piece and back piece but a lining piece for each! AHA! Now we're cookin! I couldn't figure out how they wanted me to hem the darn thing! LOL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2008 :  11:23:57 PM  Show Profile
Which pattern are you using Alee?

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2008 :  07:28:50 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
You are going to laugh at me Sherri because I know it isn't the hardest pattern- its McCall's 2033. In Fact it is listed as an "easy" pattern.

http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M2033.htm?search=2033&page=1

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2008 :  07:31:15 AM  Show Profile
Ha! I totally did the same thing! I was yanking my hair out trying to get it figured out.... :)

Darling dress, what's the fabric look like that you're using?

Funny Farm ramblings http://happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2008 :  07:45:43 AM  Show Profile
No I'm not laughing at you!! I have been sewing for 40 years and I still do stuff like that!! Cute pattern - I had one just like that when my girls were toddlers - 30 years ago, so children's fashions come around again too!! You can dress that pattern up a million ways to make it your own with trim and embellishments and fabric combos.

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2008 :  08:10:39 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I only bought barely enough fabric to do the pattern and I messed up the top first time around Ugh. Both times I have made this pattern! Sheesh! So on one I have beautiful green and brown butterfly fabric for the top, and pink and green stripes as the dress, and on the other I have a black and
White floral and geometric designs for the top and a blue swirling tiny floral pattern for the skirt. I will post pictures soon!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

tziporra
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Robin
Seattle WA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2008 :  10:08:03 AM  Show Profile
Alee,

The dresses are gorgeous -- I wish I had your eye for color!

I find that for the little little ones the method of lining the bodice is the easiest way to churn out dresses, and I'll use a bodice lining even if the pattern recommends another finishing method for the neckline.

For my four year old I'll sometimes bind a neck now (she's wearing a jumper today with bias bound armholes and neckline) but it's not really a time or fabric saver. I just like getting the practice with bias binding :)

This is my attitude toward kid's clothes in general -- what a GREAT opportunity to practice my dressmaking skills with almost no investment in fabric, and little in time (it takes a lot less time to perfectly finish a teeny-tiny dress than a great big one)!!!! Also, hand-finishing techniques sometime lend themselves better to my lifestyle since I can hand-sew anywhere while watching children, and don't have to fret about the dangers of toddlers in the sewing room. So my daughter's dresses tend to have crazy couture details on them.

My point is, don't be afraid to ignore pattern instructions for finishing and use a technique that works better for you - especially if you've made a mistake. A contrast bias-binding when you've forgotten to cut out and attach a lining, for instance. There is almost always more than one way to skin a cat, or in this case, finish a neckline.

Best,

Robin
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2008 :  10:13:57 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the tips Robin!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic AH! Moment with Patterns Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page