Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic musings Next Topic  

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2008 :  1:20:49 PM  Show Profile
Hi ladies ~ Despite having said if anyone objected to my musings, just let me know and I would stop, someone went behind my back and complained to Maryjane, who pulled the Gifts of the Spirit post and all my other musings from the forum.

So, I will not be doing any more musings on the forum but will continue privately if anyone wants me to. If you do, just contact me privately. If not, that's OK too.

I just wanted to let you know that I didn't ignore your request.

Patricia

Proud Farmgirl Sister #19
Rusty Chicks Chapter

check out my etsy site http://ThePlayfulFarmgirl.etsy.com

Today I choose faith not fear.

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2008 :  1:25:49 PM  Show Profile
Muse away at me, Patricia (privately :))

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2008 :  3:02:50 PM  Show Profile
ya know Patricia..maybe a personal blog would be good for the musings. that way you can have folks visit that are truly interested in what you have to share.hugs to ya.
religion and politics are both very personal things to folks..so I can actually understand that someone wouldn't be comfy with it being posted here.I do encourage you to create a blog about your interests and things you'd like to share..or even perhaps an email newsletter.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Carol
Moderator/MaryJane's Design Diva

452 Posts

Carol
Moscow Idaho
USA
452 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2008 :  3:14:32 PM  Show Profile
For the record, no one complained to the farm about Patricia’s post (here it is below). It was a decision made here at the farm to put it on hold until we could talk with Patricia about it. And given no one had responded to it yet, we wrote her an email. She said it was okay, she didn’t want to push any buttons and she understood. None of Patricia’s other posts have ever been deleted.

I want to take this opportunity to again point out that certain belief systems, especially those surrounding religion and politics, are precarious territory for a public forum of this kind. Our job in moderating this forum is to watch for those kinds of posts and steer us back to more neutral ground. If you’d like more of Patricia’s musings, we suggest you do so off the forum. Thanks!

Carol

Patricia's post:
I think it's important as we begin to understand what "the Spirit" is. As we know, God is energy, the sum of everything in the universe and beyond. What we refer to in this case is a particular part of that energy, called "holy" or "sacred." In the Aramaic (and later in the Greek, zthe word for "sacred" means something that is "set apart for a purpose." So what purpose are these gifts set apart for?

According to theologian Thomas Aquinas, they are to direct he intellect and the will toward God. And from there, folks, the whole notion gets bogged down in dogmas and theolgical mazes. It constantly amazes me how a group of men (in those days) took a beautiful idea and analized it so far beyond human comprehension that it becomes rarified and only they can reveal it, thereby justifying their importance. And it still goes on.

It's really very simple: in order to help us navigate our way through these lives of ours God gave us these certain graces that we can call upon when we need them. Here they are:

1. Wisdom ~ the ability to reason and find the truth in all matters

2. Understanding ~ also called "common sense"

3. Knowledge ~ the act of gathering ideas that help us to find the truth

4 Counsel ~ the ability to access God's wisdom within our own selves ~ how wonderful is that!

5. Fortitude ~ the courage to persevere in doing good and rejecting evil

6. Piety ~ like the others, this gift was defined by the prophet Isaiah (Isaiah 11:2-3) in a time when one of God's identities was the all powerful King who demanded duty and allegience. That's what this gift is all about ~ it is the payment of duties and allegience to God.

I want to inject here that in the Old Testament in particular, that the Jewish people had many names and identities for God. They called upon him in whatever capacity he was needed at the time. She was a gardener, a shepherd, a king, etc.

On the cross Jesus did not cry out "My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?" That was put in by the translators who had no idea what the Aramaic meant and did their best with it. We know this because they actually transliterated the Aramaic words into the text. If you look at Mark 15:34 in the King James (and most other) versions, you will see that the Aramaic "Eli, Eli, lemana, shabakthani!" is actually in with the English.

That sentence is a statement, not a question. We know that by the exclamation mark instead of a question mark. The Aramaic translates, "My Sustainer, My Sustainer, for this was my destiny!" (literally, "for this I was spared". It was a triumphant cry. And in this cry, Jesus used "eli" which identifies God in the role of his "sustainer". Now, that verse makes sense.

The last gift is Fear of the Lord ~ (sigh) Which Aquinas describes a child's fear of offending his father, not a fear of punishment. I take out the fear completely, knowing that the opposite of fear is love and God never requires us to fear him in any form. This is another Old Testament idea. One feared the king and if one even looked upon the face of some kings, he was put to death. Again, this likens God to a king, to be feared.

So this is my explanation of the gifts of the Spirit. If anyone has any questions, pleae feel free to ask. Thanks for listening.

with love,
Patricia

Proud Farmgirl Sister #19
Rusty Chicks Chapter

check out my etsy site http://ThePlayfulFarmgirl.etsy.com

Today I choose faith not fear.

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic musings Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page