Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Fascinating!!! I recommend we all watch this...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Fascinating!!! I recommend we all watch this... Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2008 :  06:45:32 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/human-footprint/

I am really amazed, being a visual person myself, at what it all looks like!!!

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2008 :  09:32:25 AM  Show Profile
Hey Heather...I saw the ad for that before. It's kind of scary, I think. People don't realize how much of this planet we actually use and how much we "leave behind"

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com
www.pumpkinpatchparlor.etsy.com

And Blogs:
agriculture: www.bigtownfarmer.blogspot.com
art: www.queenofcrows.blogspot.com
animals: www.big-luv.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2008 :  11:11:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I see there are some videos online- is it all online or is it going to are of the National Geographic channel on TV?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2008 :  11:16:26 AM  Show Profile
After seeing the website, I must admit that I am guilty of some of the offenses. However, my children wore cloth diapers and I washed them and hung them on the line to dry. I can't imagine digging into one of those nasty diapers somewhere in the future!! AAAARRRGGGH!!! I also do my fair share of recycling glass and newspaper. We do not locally have anyone that recycles that awful plastic.

Edited by - Betty J. on Apr 11 2008 11:18:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2008 :  11:28:51 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I think there are some snipets of the show online and the show broadcasts this Sunday at 8 or 9???

Betty- I think it is 6 of one, half dozen of the other with things like diapers or anything like that. What really scared me more is the MASSIVE amount of consumerism and waster you see everyday. It was funny because when we moved, we put everything on the lawn and driveway (the rental truck broke, so it had to be taken back and replace, which took forever and we had to empty the house as another couple was moving in the next day and it had to be clean!!!) I was shocked at all of our stuff and thinking "This is what it takes to sustain a household of 2 adults, a toddler and a dog??? Needless to say, the next move, we had a major yardsale and donated a bunch of stuff.

I am really trying to be more conscious of things like packaging and bags from the store, I don't buy magaznines or newspapers anymore, I switched Charlies sippies over to the Kleen Kanteen and I just yesterday was in Target and walked away from a whole cart load of stuff that I thought I had to have. I came home, hunted, re-organized and found I only needed 2 things. Lists help me alot!!!

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2008 :  11:40:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
We rarely buy anything from the store other than groceries and maybe once a year we buy a new pair of jeans or two and a couple of shirts. I honestly can't for the life of me figure out what it is that people buy so much of. Even the "take and toss" sippies that you can get at the store I have bought but I always reuse them. Now Nora has a clean Kanteen and we use that more than anything else.

I see people buying buying buying and I wonder- in two months- are they still going to be using that gizmo or gadget? I try really hard to think about something before we buy it.

The biggest thing we do to reduce our waste is recycle and buy in bulk. We buy bags of rice instead of the boxes of rice from the store- one bag hold 6-7 boxes worth and yet has about the same amount of packaging.

I also really like using my MaryJane's canvas tote as a reusable grocery sack instead of "paper or plastic". In fact, Winco will pay you something like 7 cents per reusable back that you use instead of their plastic bags- How cool is that?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2008 :  12:05:19 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Alee- how do you like your Kleen Kanteens?? Are they holding up? We just got ours so I would like to know how they do in the long run, especially the sippy's

I found some awesome totes at the thrift store, I bleach them and then if they have an ugle name on them or something, I just fuse on a pretty felt flower or something. I get more compliments. Also, I found using totes makes me buy less.

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2008 :  12:17:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Heather!

We love ours! But make sure you have a good bottle brush if you put something coating like milk or kefir in yours. Nora does really well with the Klean Kanteen and it gets nice and cold when I put cold milk in it so I think it will be super nice during the hot summer months.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Fascinating!!! I recommend we all watch this... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page