Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 So excited about Charlie's Daycare....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic So excited about Charlie's Daycare.... Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2008 :  09:29:15 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
It is out in the country, they have gardens for the kids to plant flowers and vegetables, his class will only be 7 kids big, the don't push potty training (thank goodness because Charlie AIN'T ready!) and the owner even offered me some iris bulbs. The serve lunch 4 days a week and it is very geared towards letting a 2 year old be a 2 year old- painting, singing, dancing, reading...etc. The building looks like an old log cabin style, kinda like Ms. Frannies, with the white chinking in between the logs and large porches on the front. I am so excited!!!

Please keep good thoughts that Charlie will adjust and fall in love with his new school!!!

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90

Edited by - catscharm74 on Apr 09 2008 5:30:06 PM

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2008 :  10:13:21 AM  Show Profile
Well, that sounds like a place even I'd want to go!!! What a great concept, Heather. Here's hoping Charlie adjust well, and cultivates his "inner farmboy"!!!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2008 :  10:27:04 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I know!!I wanted to stay and play in the garden. She needs her sunflower bed tilled and worked over and I was like " Can I come play?" I actually drove by the place because I thought it was someone's house. It is very well situated and so friendly looking. Yes, the house is older but I don't like disinfected, perfect, clinical looking daycare centers. There was a cat but it was the neighbors. There are even stepping stones to get to the house. It reminds me of a little country cabin cottage. It has big windows to see all around and a cool "tree fort" in the back for the kids to play on. Really neat!!! The owner spent about an hour just chit chatting with me and she is right in line about how I want my child raised- manners, letting them be kids, lots of love...etc...

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2008 :  12:41:08 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Forgot to add the best part...2 of the ladies were wearing APRONS!!! Handmade aprons!! SO you know what I will be working on as gifts for them!!!

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

4forMe
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

Dawn
Easton MD
166 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2008 :  2:12:11 PM  Show Profile
That sounds like a great daycare. I bet he will love it there and have so much fun. Nothing beats knowing your child is safe and secure while you are away from them. I love it that the teachers are wearing aprons.

Sewing, knitting, gardening mom of 4.
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2008 :  11:33:49 AM  Show Profile
I wanna go there

Sounds great, with fun interesting activities going on that will teach useful skills without preaching to the kids. I think Charlie would adjust quickly with all that's going on. Maybe you can trade garden work for a break on the fees. That way you can play in the dirt and save a little mooney in the process.

DD's pre-school was in an old house also, had a real wood burning fireplace and it was the most favorite room in the house. They would have story time there and in the winter the kids would take their naps there. It was perfect and homey.
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2008 :  4:09:42 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Well, we tried out a different daycare right down the road, testing the waters for a few hours a day to see how he does. I am not too excited because they have a 2- 2 1/2 year old class and then a 2 1/2 to 3 class. There is one child in the first class that apparantely had developemental problems. He is 3 and cannot talk or have a lot of basic 2 year old skills. So they bumped Charlie up with the bigger kids. I have been watching and I don't like what I see. There are 18 kids in the class, all over 2 1/2 years old, which is a big difference from Charlie. Charlie is a bright kid and picks things up quick, but he still needs those developemental skills he is learning at home to be practiced. This class has watched 2 movies just this week, which means for 4 hours, the kids are sitting at the tables, watching tv. Ummm...how about doing a craft or something, singing, abc's, colors, ANYTHING!! Then they have stations for the kids to play at but it looks like absolute chaos. Kids screaming and just fighting over things. Charlie just clung to a baby and looked lost. When I came to pick him up, again, he was just sitting at the table, looking so sad and confused, it broke my heart. He actually got up, grabbed the bag of his hook and said "Bye!!" He may be 2 but boy, I get it!!!

Then they told me I only needed to pack a lunch. Snacks and juice/milk would be provided. Well, I came in yesterday and he was eating his crackers I had packed for lunch as a snack. I was like did I miss something? I think they are trying to cut corners or something.

They owners talk way to fast for me (I Must be having communciation problems this week) and try to gloss over how hi-tech their daycare center is. I don't expect my kids to be applying to the University of Texas (Hook 'Em Horns) or Texas State (GO Bobcats) by the time he is four and I think computers should not be introduced so young. Developing a life is so precious and important.

They were chosen as business owner of the year where we live but I honestly don't know why. I guess a lot of the parents are town people they know, some I am thinking it was a kind of given. Just my idea!!

Ok...that is my rant why I am choosing the other daycare.

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2008 :  09:25:00 AM  Show Profile
Heather,

Sounds like you and Charlie would be much happier at the little cabin daycare with the garden. I think people put too much emphasis on the hi-tech stuff at this age. There is soooo much for our little one's to learn besides computers. Plus, it didn't sound like there was much outside time at the second daycare. But, more importantly I think Charlie made his opinion known by dashing out to go home - he's not happy there. And, I think, you want him to be excited about learning new things so when he starts school he can take that love of learning with him. Dosen't seem like he'll get that from the second daycare.
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2008 :  09:35:11 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Today was the last day of the "test" and also, we had paid for a full week. I walked in at 8 and the teacher was putting on a Barney video..huh??? It is 8 in morning- kids should be singing, playing, dancing, painting...etc....I was a little upset and I will let them know when I go in today to get him that we decided to go somewhere else. I really feel bad for the kids in that school because I don't mean to judge, but honestly, what are they learning?

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2008 :  12:46:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Heather- So what happened to the first daycare that you were so excited about? Is Charlie going to go back to that one? Or did they not have enough room?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2008 :  4:04:08 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Alee- no, he is still going to the nice country one but we tested him this week at another one, to fully check it out. We just wanted to make sure we were putting him in the right place. We had to wait until Monday to get him in at the country one, if we wanted to pick that one, which we did. Has that confused you enough?? HA!!!

I always have a one week test with daycare or anyone who takes care of him. I don't think you can judge by just a few hours of visit, with me sitting right there. I like to observe, pop in at different times, etc. I may seem like that crazy parent, but this is my child's life in someone else's hands.

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2008 :  4:39:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh I totally agree with you, Heather! The only think that concerns me about the move to Montana this fall is finding child care for Nora. I am terrified that she won't be looked after properly. Yikes!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2008 :  5:35:28 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Alee- I really believe in maternal instinct on this one. I swear, I visited one place and had to immediately leave. The lady was really nice but the clutter was driving me nuts and there was a weird vibe there. Visit several, check for cleaniness, really look at the other children, how they behave, interact.

Texas has a great website to check on current licensing, any problems the facility might have, etc...and that has really helped me too. The owner of the country daycare was impressed I took the time to look them up. That says a whole lot!!!

Maybe start Nora part time, if you can. That will ease both of your nerves!!

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic So excited about Charlie's Daycare.... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page