Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 Shorties, Longies, Soaker Pants?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Shorties, Longies, Soaker Pants? Next Topic  

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2008 :  4:35:07 PM  Show Profile
Ok, so after diapering 5 kids with disposables, and inspired by you all, I am giving cloth diapers a try. Reading all the stuff on Google that comes at you is a little overwhelming and intimidating, and hard to search though. I did come across some hand knit 'shorties' that said they were soaker pants. They supposedly provided protection from leaks-- I thinkthey replace the vinyl diaper covers? Can anyone shed some light on this subject for me? If it's true that they are in lieu of the plastic bloomers, I would LOVE LOVE them. They are darling and look so much more comfortable!

"There is a Happy Dale far, far away. . ." -Arsenic and Old Lace

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2008 :  4:42:14 PM  Show Profile
Molly, the lanolin in the wool is water repellent and has antibacterial properties. And they breath- so better than plastic pants.. To be honest though when we are at home I just let the baby- soon to be 2 run around in just the cloth diapers- they are fitted.. I just keep checking to see if he is wet.. He tells me when he has poops..

Blessings, Debra
Psalms 23:1 "The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want."
"Your life is an occasion, Rise to it." Mr Magorium..
http://myvintagehome.blogspot.com
http://woolieacres.net
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2008 :  4:46:37 PM  Show Profile
Molly-
Wool covers are my FAVORITE of all covers. They have NEVER leaked for either of my kids and are totally breathable. They keep them cool in the summer and warm in the winter! Depending on what size you need I have some wonderful lightly used wool covers I just posted for sale on another forum, I would be happy to forward you the posting if you are interested;)
Rebekka

www.bebebella.etsy.com

As a woman I have no country. As a woman, my country is the whole world.

Virginia Woolf
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2008 :  06:07:02 AM  Show Profile
Ok, so I ran out to the thrift and found some wool sweaters to make some shorties for my kiddos. I figured this way, I could get the sizes perfect, and I could do it on the cheap. I was right, and I have to pat myself on the back because they totally work! Yay! I'm so glad I asked on here about them, because I couldn't stand the plastic bloomers (especially on my poor son, who looked silly in them). All in all, it took me about an hour (including time trying to figure out the 'pattern') for each pair, and a sweater that cost $6 can make 3 pairs.

It's probably not new to you all, but since I just discovered it, I had to share with people who care (since DH doesn't get it!)!

"There is a Happy Dale far, far away. . ." -Arsenic and Old Lace
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Shorties, Longies, Soaker Pants? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page