Page: of 2

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2008 :  5:12:22 PM  Show Profile
Maybe you all have known this and I am just really slow....but I just discovered our dollar store has Zote laundry soap, 3 for $1! Maybe yours does, too?

"There is a Happy Dale far, far away. . ." -Arsenic and Old Lace

HeathersHeartfeltStitches
True Blue Farmgirl

440 Posts

Heather
Lancaster OH
USA
440 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2008 :  5:46:18 PM  Show Profile  Send HeathersHeartfeltStitches a Yahoo! Message
What is Zote?

Heart of Ohio Chapter Member

My Etsy.com Storehttp://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5531954
http://heathersheartfeltstitches.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2008 :  7:46:03 PM  Show Profile
Zote is a bar laundry soap. I use it in my detergent mixture because it's pretty gentle for the babies clothes, but effective at stain removal. I also like Fels-Naptha, but have not seen it at the dollar store-- yet! I'm now on the lookout, though!

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2008 :  8:55:49 PM  Show Profile
and Zote smells better too! I have used it often but never found it THAT cheap. I have to go to the next town 15 miles south tomorrow..and they have a dollar store..will have to check and see if they have it there. THanks for the post!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2008 :  9:39:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Molly- which dollar store is it?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2008 :  06:46:31 AM  Show Profile
Question for you laundry soap makers!!! I used Zote first but it doesn't disolve in the detergent cup in machine!! does Fels work better? thanks!

"No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars,or sailed to an uncharted land or opened a new heaven to the human spirit." Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2008 :  08:42:29 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Debi-

Do you use a front loader machine?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2008 :  09:42:09 AM  Show Profile
Yes!!!

"No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars,or sailed to an uncharted land or opened a new heaven to the human spirit." Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2008 :  11:46:06 AM  Show Profile
I don't have a front loader....is that a common problem for those machines? I haven't had trouble with the soaps disolving, but I use an old parmesan grater to 'powder' up the bars first (instead of 'chopping' it with the food processor). The Zote powders well, and I whittle the Fels into curly shavings (yes, maybe I have too much free time....).

Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2008 :  11:48:11 AM  Show Profile
Oh, yeah, Alee-- our 'dollar store' is just a hole in the wall mom and pop one, not a major chain. I will have to check the Dollar General, or Dollar Tree and see if they carry it also.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2008 :  12:01:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Mima-

If I were you, I would either make the liquid version which I find messy or just put the soap in with the clothes. I think one of the reasons this laundry detergent works so well is the soap takes a little while to dissolve and so is a "Time released" clean. Not sure if that is true or not, but surely the agitation of the clothes will help the soap dissolve faster. Also the finer you grate it the faster it dissolves. I use the finest shredding that I can on my little triangle shaped cheese grater.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

okiequilter
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Cathy

USA
249 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2008 :  7:21:56 PM  Show Profile
I can't find Fels Naptha or lye soap or washing soda at either the Dollar Store or Dollar Tree here. I've never heard of Zote, but don't think it was there. Does anyone know of anywhere else to look? I've already tried Wal-Mart.

Cathy (okiequilter)
www.auntdaisyscottage.com
www.auntdaisyscottage.etsy.com

A friend loves at all times.
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2008 :  11:06:38 PM  Show Profile
Maybe try a Food City?

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2008 :  11:19:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
OkieQuilter-

Usually Fels can be found in the laundry section of your supermarket. However handmade soap works great and there are lots of ladies here on the forum that sell homemade soap.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2008 :  07:40:49 AM  Show Profile
JUST FYI, and you know I have to do it....those using Fels should know that it contains petro chemicals. Those using Zote should know that it contains tallow-if you are a vegetarian or vegan that might just be a no no for you. I use Kirks Castille-all veggie based!-if I don't have any homemade castille from a friend of mine.

and I'm one of those ladies that sells homemade laundry powder...

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
Farmgirl Sister #88

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://womonandsprout.wordpress.com
http://youtube.com/profile?user=GaiasRose
Homepage:
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com
"Joyful chaos, working in tune with the seasons, telling itme by the sun, variety, change and self-direction; all this wwas replaced with a brutal, standardized work culture, the effects of which we are still suffering from today." - Tom Hodgkinson in 'How To Be Idle'

Edited by - GaiasRose on Apr 05 2008 07:42:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2008 :  08:09:14 AM  Show Profile
Where do you get that Tasha?(the castile soap?)

Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2008 :  08:47:14 AM  Show Profile
i get it at the grocery store. you can find it online too. I get it for about $1 a bar

[size=1]
~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
Farmgirl Sister #88

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://womonandsprout.wordpress.com
http://youtube.com/profile?user=GaiasRose
Homepage:
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com
"Joyful chaos, working in tune with the seasons, telling itme by the sun, variety, change and self-direction; all this wwas replaced with a brutal, standardized work culture, the effects of which we are still suffering from today." - Tom Hodgkinson in 'How To Be Idle'

Edited by - GaiasRose on Apr 05 2008 08:47:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

okiequilter
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Cathy

USA
249 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2008 :  5:32:21 PM  Show Profile
Don't have a Food City, either. I think I will search at the local grocery stores. I know I've seen castille soap. Thanks!

Cathy (okiequilter)

Go to Top of Page

okiequilter
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Cathy

USA
249 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2008 :  7:37:35 PM  Show Profile
OK, I FINALLY found Zote and washing soda at a small locally owned grocery store, sooo I made up the laundry soap yesterday and used it today on 2 loads. Oh, wow! It really works. I have been using Borax with my detergent before and it helped some with the odors, but now I can already see a brighter difference and NO smells - just clean! I thrilled with this, but 2 questions:
is there an easier way to grate the bar soap then by hand? I'm kinda afraid it might mess up the food processor and does anyone have a solution for static cling? I've also stopped using dryer sheets.
Thanks!

Cathy (okiequilter)

Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2008 :  7:31:25 PM  Show Profile
I use an old parmesean grater for the soap grating, and it actually went pretty quickly.

I add a 'glug' (I have no idea how much is correct!) of white vinegar as a softner, and haven't had trouble with static since then (but I hang mine out, I don't know how it would works for a dryer?).

Good luck, isn't it a great feeling to have made something that is successful??!!

Funny Farm ramblings http://happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

okiequilter
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Cathy

USA
249 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2008 :  2:30:31 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Molly. I'm am using the parmesan grater and it works OK, just wondering if there was another way.
I'll give the white vinegar a try.
and yes, I love the way this works!

www.AuntDaisysCottage.com
www.AuntDaisysCottage.ETSY.com

Edited by - okiequilter on Apr 20 2008 2:31:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2008 :  2:59:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Cathy-

If your food processor has a grating function- I used that for a long time. It would leave a little chunk left that I hand grated- but I could grate up a 3 bars in no time flat. Unfortunately a late night experiment in trying to get my food processor bowl to dry quickly (long story there) warped my bowl so my food processor is out of commission until I buy a replacement! LOL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

suethequilter
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

susan
jackson michigan
USA
36 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2008 :  05:23:27 AM  Show Profile
I would like to make my own laundry soap but being new to this I'm not sure how to use the bar soaps, borax, vinegar, washing soda, etc.I have a front loading washer, so how do I judge the amounts to use? I line dry everything so what do I use for a softner-just vinegar? as you can see I need HELP!

life is good
Go to Top of Page

4forMe
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

Dawn
Easton MD
166 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2008 :  06:39:12 AM  Show Profile
Susan, you are not alone, I too would like to know more. I have a frontloader and now that the weather is cooperating, I have been line drying more often.

Sewing, knitting, gardening mom of 4.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2008 :  08:39:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Everyone!

Using a front end loader works great with the homemade washing powder! No Problem!

Here is the recipe for homemade laundry powder:

1/3 cup borax
1/3 cup washing soda
1/3 cup grated Soap- castile or some use Fels
(to make a big batch without worrying about measuring I just dump in one box of all of the above, a 4lb box of baking soda and use 3 bars of soap. It works great and takes less time than measuring it all out)

Mix thoroughly- use one table spoon per load. You can add it to your normal detergent cup- though some have had issues with it not thoroughly dissolving, then I suggest just adding it in with your clothes- the tumbling action will dissolve it.

Add Baking Soda if you have hard water. This will soften your water and keep soap scum from forming.

Add vinegar instead of fabric softener. I add about 1/4 of a cut to my "Downy Ball" or you can put it in your "fabric softener" cup if you have one. It helps things rinse clean, softens clothes, and reduces static cling.

You can also make a "pre dissolved" version of the homemade laundry soap that works great as well. It can be a bit harder to make as there are more steps- but if you are more accustomed to liquid detergent sometimes this is easier to use. The Recipe is as follows:

Same ingredients and measurements as above (the 1/3 cup measurements)
You get two clean gallon jugs or a 2 gallon bucket with lid would work too. Dissolve the grated soap in a few cups of boiling hot water in the jugs or buckets. Divide it evenly into the two jugs putting it in with a funnel. Let that sit a few hours until it has gelled. Then add the borax and washing soda (divided evenly if you use two containers) and slowly add warm water to mostly fill the jugs. Stir. When it is cool you can shake it (with the lid on of course) and you will need to do that just about every time you use it, as it tends to separate. It is incredibly cheap to make and I use about a cup in a big load of dirty stuff. (copied and slightly edited from instruction Aunt Jenny posted on the forum here: http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=522&SearchTerms=laundry,soap also a good discussion is here: http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=971)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

okiequilter
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Cathy

USA
249 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2008 :  06:59:45 AM  Show Profile
Alee, Thanks for all the good info!! I'm going to try my food processor on the next batch to do the grating. Just won't try anything weird to get the bowl dried!! hummm... :( Bet you wished you had gone to bed instead!
It seems to me that our clothes are looking better with each load. I think I read somewhere about all the residue buildup that is in your clothes from commerical detergent, so hopefully that is coming out!
I usually use cold water, so I am dissolving my laundry soap in a quart of hot water first and then adding it to the washer. I haven't had any streaks or soap marks.
Heres another good link for more laundry soap recipes:
http://tipnut.com/10-homemade-laundry-soap-detergent-recipes/
Alee, I also like your idea about using the "Downy Ball" for the vinegar rinse.

Cathy (okiequilter)

www.AuntDaisysCottage.com
www.AuntDaisysCottage.ETSY.com

Edited by - okiequilter on Apr 23 2008 1:11:35 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Just found out (re: Zote)! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page