Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Canning chicken: preferences? Next Topic  

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2008 :  6:52:17 PM  Show Profile
I have bottled chicken for a few years, and love the convenience of it. I have always just put in the raw chunks and processed it for the recommended time/ pressure. I was wondering if there were preferences of canning it raw vs. pre-cooked. I seem to have a problem (or maybe it is just how it is!) with the chicken being very dry and almost crumbly. Any suggestions?

"There is a Happy Dale far, far away. . ." -Arsenic and Old Lace

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2008 :  9:15:19 PM  Show Profile
I find that if I cook the chicken first it has much much better texture. I usually roast the chicken with salt and pepper and then cut into chunks and put in the jars and cover with boiling chicken broth. I HAVE canned both Chicken and Venison raw..but it just seems nicer when cooked first. You can get more in the jar too..it dosn't shrink as much...already shrunk from cooking.
Just my opinion though. I do know alot of people who like raw pack..and if I have a bunch of venison to can I will still do raw pack to get it quickly done if I need to...just don't like the result as well. Have fun. I love having home canned meats on hand.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2008 :  06:32:56 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Jenny. I totally respect your advice on this one. I think I will try cooked chunks next round; it sounds more tasty! And venison- yum!

"There is a Happy Dale far, far away. . ." -Arsenic and Old Lace
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2008 :  08:35:24 AM  Show Profile
With venison I usually sort of brown the chunks...adds even more yummy flavor..and then pack them tight and put beef broth over.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Canning chicken: preferences? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page