one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  2:31:29 PM  Show Profile
I am wanting to eat it, and not eat so much meat. I have a carnivore husband. How do you make it delicious? Any insight or proven recipes would be helpful.

Trish
Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
FREE TIBET!

Edited by - one_dog_per_acre on Apr 01 2008 3:09:33 PM

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  2:42:04 PM  Show Profile
I have a carnivore hubby who has been meat free for several weeks (except for a bit of pizza he had yesterday that he wishes he hadn't).. We eat tonnnnnnssssss of beans.. Chili would be a good spot for tvp.. I am not a big fan of tvp.. would rather have tofu, lentils, or other beans.. we love boca burgers!!! seasoned right with all of the other good fixin's it is like a whopper! Another thing I used to get ion's ago- I need to see if it is still being made- wheat of meat.. It was like chicken.. I would chop it up and mix it with a veggie based gravy and put over mashed potatoes.. yummy..
There are recipes for lentil based sloppy joes.. beans digest very slowly so it has been good for my hubby who hasn't been having any hypoglycemia attacks since going vegan.. wished he hadn't had the pizza- he had a reaction to the msg. argg. I stopped at the grocery store and got whole wheat pitas and hummus.. it was very good.

Blessings, Debra
Psalms 23:1 "The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want."
"Your life is an occasion, Rise to it." Mr Magorium..
http://myvintagehome.blogspot.com
http://woolieacres.net
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  2:46:22 PM  Show Profile
I use TVP occasionally in recipes! Google it and I betcha a bazillion recipes will come up!! Good luck!!

"No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars,or sailed to an uncharted land or opened a new heaven to the human spirit." Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  2:49:35 PM  Show Profile
I have never used it, but I guess it apsorbs whatever flavor you cook with it- kinda like 'taters do.
I would think sprinkling it in with the sloppy joes would be very good!!

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  3:07:30 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by one_dog_per_acre

I am wanting to eat it, and not eat so much meat. I have a carnivore husband. How do you make it delicious? Any insight or proven recipes would be helpful.

Trish
Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
FREE TIBET!

Trish
Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
FREE TIBET!
Whoops! Just trying to edit my spelling! Wow Trish

Edited by - one_dog_per_acre on Apr 01 2008 3:09:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  3:13:41 PM  Show Profile
I love tofu, DH only eats it when I order Thai yellow curry with it. I also eat lots of beans. I am trying to find how to make bean flakes, since I only cook lunch for one.

Trish
Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
FREE TIBET!
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  3:22:16 PM  Show Profile
Mori nu silken tofu sliced thin and fried up with a teeny bit of olive oil- salt and peppered.. on toast with some mayo or veganaise tastes like egg sandwiches! I have a recipe somewhere for fried tofu that is meaty.. that I love...

Blessings, Debra
Psalms 23:1 "The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want."
"Your life is an occasion, Rise to it." Mr Magorium..
http://myvintagehome.blogspot.com
http://woolieacres.net
Go to Top of Page

tziporra
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Robin
Seattle WA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  8:00:01 PM  Show Profile
TVP is great in things you would usually put ground meat in, and much more economical than meat substitute products (which are usually higher than buying meat!). We use it in spaghetti sauce, to make "sausage" topping for pizza, filling for tacos, and (yummiest of all) filling for potstickers and wontons. By the way, bulk TVP is MUCH cheaper than purchasing it in packages (no offense to the Red Mill people). My Fred Meyers and natural foods stores both carry it in bulk.

Here's the potsticker recipe to get you started:

1 cup TVP cooked according to directions
2 grated carrots
1 cup or so shredded cabbage (adjust to taste)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
1 package wonton wrappers

Mix the cabbage, cooked TVP and carrots together in a bowl until well blended. Add sesame oil and soy sauce. Using about a tablespoon of filling in each wrapper, fill and press the edges together, moistening to seal.

Fry to make wontons.

To make potstickers, fry very lightly on both sides (use less oil than you would for making wontons), then add a cup or so of water to the frying pan and allow to evaporate.

Serve with potsticker sauce (many recipes on the internet) for dipping.

You can make huge batches of these to freeze, but you must lay them out on a cookie sheet until completely frozen or they will stick hopelessly to each other. If you prefer egg rolls you may use the exact same recipe, but use more filling in an egg roll wrapper.

Best,

Robin
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  8:07:10 PM  Show Profile
That looks great, Robin..

I used to when I was a vegetarian and still periodically when I got to my favorite vege restaurant near the university. I agree that it's better than most of the meat substitutes..I tried the "faux beef" flavored stuff a few weeks ago in chili and I ended up throwing the whole thing out...funny smell. I liked that it had no fat and very low in calories, but maybe it's because I couldn't even put it in my mouth :)

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  8:20:28 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all. I was a vegetarian for a few years, and lived on bulk gardenburger mix and mana bread. I have tried lots of the fake meat stuff, worst being Tofu Pups:( ick. I'll spare you the details. Then one day, I just got off the bus, literally, and had a chicken sandwich from BK, and was very ill, but I kept with the meat. We really need to cut down on meat. Sunday is Buddha's Birthday, according to most Buddhist traditions. I already notified DH that there will be no meat eaten here on that day, so don't ask, "Where's the beef?"

Trish
Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
FREE TIBET!
Go to Top of Page

tziporra
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Robin
Seattle WA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  9:42:50 PM  Show Profile
Oh! Jonni's post reminds me that the TVP works very well in chili too.

For recipes where you would like the TVP to hold together a bit -- like if you are going to season it like sausage and put it on a pizza, for instance -- you can season it, then use an egg for binding and spread it in the bottom of an oiled pan. You'll get a square (or circle) of flavored TVP which will crumble easily, but not into teeny tiny granules. Be sure to cook it thoroughly if you've used an egg to hold it together, of course.

By the way, my favorite whole foods meatless cookbook right now is The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook by Cathe Olson. While I prefer authentic ethnic recipes to the kind of americanized versions found in this book (a common failing in veggie cookbooks, sadly), I love all the meatless ideas - pregnant or not.

Best,

Robin
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2008 :  06:05:05 AM  Show Profile
Robin...I was a vegetarian for 8 years and during that time, I actually "learned" how to cook...one of my favorite cookbooks that I purchased then (and still use, much to my carnivore husband's dismay) is Linda McCartney's Home cooking. I altered a few things here and there for fat content, but overall, the recipes are great everyday things, opposed to my moosewood cookbooks that seem to be ethnically motivated...which is fine when I'm in the mood for curries, but most often I like, well, just food.

At any rate, Linda McCartney's book revolves around TVP as opposed to tofu. Unfortunately, since it was British, I couldn't find all the brands here in the states (even though one in particular was made just up the road in Worthington, Ohio!).

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2008 :  2:24:28 PM  Show Profile
What is TVP?

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2008 :  4:32:24 PM  Show Profile
Textured Vegetable Protein is a food product made from soybeans. It is produced from soy flour after the soybean oil has been extracted, then cooked under pressure, extruded, and dried. It can be made into lots of meat substitutes.

Trish
Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
FREE TIBET!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Anyone eat TVP? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page