Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Anyone want to join me in this challenge?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Anyone want to join me in this challenge? Next Topic  

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  11:32:50 AM  Show Profile
I am taking the "How Low Can you Go" challenge over at Cindy's Porch.
http://www.cindysporch.net/pages/howlowcanyougo1.shtml
It's perfect timing - it will really help until dh goes back to work steady. Anyone want to join me?

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  11:40:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
Sherri I am going to read more about this. I am thinking though this would be us anyway this month,lol.

Some very special twins will be 5 this month, instead of buying for them I will make them something.
I plan on not going to town this week(which means G A S), except to do laundry.
This weekend, we will go to the park, which is FREE
I plan on feeding the cats scraps, along with their regular food to extend their foood
There is some books I really want right now, but instead of wasting gas to go into town, I will ReRead the ones I have.
If I cant reread them, I will go to the library when i go do laundry.
These are a few things I will be doing

I accept this challenge!!

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

Rich or Poor, It Dont matter We're all the same everybodys hungry in a different way....

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Firemama on Apr 01 2008 11:45:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  11:42:18 AM  Show Profile
Sounds good to me, Sherri. I only have dirt to purchase for the garden :) The rest is either gas, utilities or food...

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  11:51:12 AM  Show Profile
Sound GREAT to me-Does purchasing from and helping fellow farmgirls count????

"No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars,or sailed to an uncharted land or opened a new heaven to the human spirit." Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  12:06:58 PM  Show Profile
Well I suppose as long as we keep the available dollars in our little farmgirl sister circle it's ok!! My take on the challenge is to make the best use of the dollars and other resources we have available and to me that also means making conscious (I can never spell that word!) decisions with our money and resources and not just spending thoughtlessly and impulsively. For example, it's my grandsons' birthday party Saturday and instead of just buying a few things off my daughter's list, I really used my ECE background and thought about what I could get them that was quality, they would enjoy, and was good for their development. I also wanted to give them something made in the U.S. and something I had made. I ended up with two of my backpacks, two handmade quilts, and a couple of little chairs, made locally. I feel so much better about that gift than spending our hard earned dollars on some plastic toy, purchased at Wal-Mart, made in China. That's how I'm interpreting this challenge - thinking before purchasing and making the best choice.

Farmgirl Sister #98
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  12:36:23 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sounds like a great challenge! We are pretty frugal anyway so I think this is the every month challenge for our household!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  1:36:18 PM  Show Profile
I don't know if I can do it since tax $ will be here soon, and I have been waiting forever to spend a bunch on MJF food. I have been being so good lately, I need a treat.

Trish
Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
FREE TIBET!
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  1:44:25 PM  Show Profile
Patricia - MaryJane's food would be ok to buy under my definition of the challenge. When you get a chance, read what I wrote in the post above about how I am going to interpret this challenge. MaryJane's foods are superior quality, they are locally produced, and they are not artificial or marketed in stores only concerned with their own profit. Actually MaryJane's foods are the epitome of thoughtful consumerism. An example of the opposite of this challenge would be going to Wal-Mart and purchasing a bunch of calorie, fat, chemical-laden junk food with your tax refund. I think purchasing MJ's foods with your refund is really a thoughtful conscious thing to do.

Farmgirl Sister #98
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  1:46:45 PM  Show Profile
Alee - I know what you mean about this being an every month thing. The part about trying to get the best price is definately for us, but I could improve my efforts in the area of conscious consumerism. I want to try and be more aware of where all the things I purchase come from and what the ripple effect of my dollar is through the food chain.

Farmgirl Sister #98
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  1:52:44 PM  Show Profile
This challenge must really have struck a chord with me because I keep thinking of other things I want to say!! One of the other things that I like about this challenge is the emphasis on DOing. I know from our time at the cabin one way this will manifest itself in our lives. We have the tendancy if we get "bored" around here in the evening to go out and spend money on an activity that we think will amuse us - bowling, eating out, shopping. Instead of doing those things when we are at the cabin (because of the remoteness mainly), we "DO" things like read, play cribbage, play Scrabble, take walks. This is SO healthy for a relationship, whether it be husband and wife, partners, parent and child, or friends, and so often we take the "easy" way out and pay someone else to "amuse" us. I will enjoy focusing on the "DO" and not the "BUY" in this area this month and I hope some of it sticks with us into the future.

Farmgirl Sister #98
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Anyone want to join me in this challenge? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page