True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  11:08:32 AM  Show Profile
OK farmgirls I need some advice:
I seem to get stains on the bustline of my shirts worse than anyone elses stains in the family. I try & wear a full apron, but you know...maybe I should just wear a bib.

I've tried awesome concentrate cleaner, dish soap, clorox stain remover. I really like to use more eco friendly cleaners, but am ready to try anything.

Most of my shirts are cotton-poly blend t-shirts. I looked in my drawer yesterday & there is only 2 or 3 that don't have stains.

I know you farmgals have the best ideas to solve most of the worlds problems...please help.

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many & Herbalist
www.herbalmomma.com

Farmgirl Sister #97

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  11:33:37 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Kristine- being a full busted gal myself, I call in my stain and crumbcatcher or it is the first part of my body that bumps into things like the sides of cars and gets dirty...ah big ta ta's...what can a girl do~~

I have ALOT of cotton shirts and usually, if the stain is small, I hit it cold water immediatetly or else I take it off and soak in some laundry detergent and cold water. It seems to keep them from staining. Other than wearing dark clothes or getting the girls reduced, this seems to work best for me~~

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Sage
True Blue Farmgirl

207 Posts

Pam
Worland Wyoming
USA
207 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  12:36:49 PM  Show Profile
Kristine; I try to start with the everyday cleaners and then move to the heavier ones if the stain won't budge. Try to determine what the stain is and pick the cleaner that is made for that stain and it helps if the stain hasn't been dried in the dryer.

If regular cleaners don't work you can use an enzyme stain remover like biz(for food and grass stains), lemon juice and the sun to whiten, oxyclean, dishwasher detergent (dissolve very well and add to washer as it fills and agitate water first before adding clothes), SpotShot carpet cleaner or GOOP hand cleaner(for oil based stains). I've found it can take two different treatments to remove some stains. A cleaner to get the oil or protein out of the fabric and then a bleach of some kind to remove the left over shadow of the stain. There is also a stain remover stick - called Lisa's I think, that will get out some oil based stains. The stick is a chalk based product and it really works. Hairspray will remove some ink marks.

Work the cleaners in by rubbing if you can and from both sides of the fabric to force the stain out. I know some of these cleaners have chemicals we'd rather not use but it is expensive to have clothes ruined by stains. PLEASE TEST ALL CLEANERS ON A HIDDEN SEAM OR HEM. The cleaners I mentioned can cause some colors to run or fade. Good luck! Sage :)

Farmgirl sister #140
www.heritagedesigns.etsy.com

Edited by - Sage on Apr 01 2008 12:48:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  1:11:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
My mom (Sage) is a genius at getting out stains. Seriously! :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com

Edited by - Alee on Apr 01 2008 1:11:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  10:05:39 PM  Show Profile
Dawn dishwashing liquid for any greasy stain, even if it's already been through the washer and dryer. What do they use to clean up the birds after an oil spill?? Yes, Dawn and it's still the best.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2008 :  08:21:37 AM  Show Profile
I have a special eating shirt that I wear to dinner every night! I am kind of large chested and clumsy to boot so I always get stains. I got tired of ruining my clothes so now I just throw on my "dinner shirt". Problem solved!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2008 :  12:57:47 PM  Show Profile
All of you are awesome. Thanks so much !!!
Pam you are amazing!!! I didn't think there was that much to know about stains. I'm going to have to get one of those Lisa's sticks. Ronna, I used Dawn a long time ago & have forgotten about it. That's on the list too, along with Julie's dinner shirt. But I may have to put mine on at breakfast. :)

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many & Herbalist
www.herbalmomma.com

Farmgirl Sister #97
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2008 :  1:24:55 PM  Show Profile
For your "Dinner Shirt", perhaps you could try one of those snap up the front hospital "Scrub" shirts. I know our thrift store has a bunch of them for a couple of dollars. That way you could buy several, and won't have to wash all that often. You can wear it while you cook too, but the short sleeves won't get in the way.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

Sage
True Blue Farmgirl

207 Posts

Pam
Worland Wyoming
USA
207 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2008 :  1:25:06 PM  Show Profile
Kristin: My mistake :0 I checked and the chalk type stick is called Janie and is in a black rectangular tube in the houseware section of the grocery. I had to figure out how to remove stains because we couldn't replace our clothes just because there were stains. Good luck.

Farmgirl sister #140
www.heritagedesigns.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2008 :  5:25:52 PM  Show Profile
Sage thanks so much!