Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2008 :  5:39:08 PM  Show Profile
My boyfriend's mother gave me some dried, frozen sourdough starter last weekend, and I'm going to pull it out on Friday and see what I can do with it! I'm so excited to try it! You gals have any tips or favorite recipes I should try? It's going to be trial and error for a bit, I think... I just hope I don't kill all the starter!!

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  3:14:25 PM  Show Profile
Bump...

Going to try this in a couple days... I'll experiment if need be, but if y'all have some guidance, it would be much appreciated!!

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4274 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4274 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2008 :  10:29:56 AM  Show Profile
Gosh I got my sourdough started from a recipe in a cookbook. Lately I have not been paying attention to mine very well. But it is still going and has not killed anyone yet! I use it to make mostly bread, and pancakes.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2008 :  3:18:02 PM  Show Profile
I'd really love to try pancakes with it! Do you have a specific recipe that you use, Michele?

~Jodi

Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2008 :  5:35:45 PM  Show Profile
Jodi,
Do a search on sourdough, it's been discussed a couple of times in the last year or so. Might give you some good ideas. Yes, pancakes, waffles, biscuits, quick breads...many of the recipes you would use anyway can use some starter to give that extra flavor and tang. Have fun with it and don't let it intimidate you, it's very forgiving.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2008 :  06:09:20 AM  Show Profile
Oh, if it's been discussed maybe I can find the thread... I'll have to look for them.

~Jodi

Go to Top of Page

4forMe
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

Dawn
Easton MD
166 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2008 :  06:14:15 AM  Show Profile
Jodi,

Do you have the MJF Ideabook/Cookbook? I believe there is a sourdough starter recipe in there.

I have one, but it hasn't been checked on in quite a while so I'm sure I will have to start over. My DH bought it for me from King Arthur Flour and I had to keep it going, which has fallen by the wayside. I need to get on the ball, we love homemade bread in this house and I haven't been good about baking or even getting my bread machine started.

Sewing, knitting, gardening mom of 4.
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2008 :  4:53:11 PM  Show Profile
Dawn,
Don't toss your starter without giving it a chance to come back to life. Mine is very forgiving even when it's been neglected in the fridge for a year. Let it come to room temp, add warm water and flour, maybe 1/4 cup of each to start and see it if starts to bubble again.
Jodi has a starter, just needs to start using it. There are several sourdough baking groups on Yahoo that have good info and instructions.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

4forMe
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

Dawn
Easton MD
166 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2008 :  05:24:44 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Ronna, I will try to get mine going again before giving up.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4274 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4274 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2008 :  12:34:32 PM  Show Profile
Jodi, I just add sourdough starter to my pancake mix that I make up. Nothing fancy. My sourdough bread recipe has yeast in it. I like the texture that it gives it. I do have a sourdough cookbook that I have notreally used alot. Wanted to though.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

4forMe
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

Dawn
Easton MD
166 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2008 :  08:21:04 AM  Show Profile
I resusitated my starter. It had been neglected for quite some time in the back of my fridge. I pulled it out yesterday and resusitated it. I am so happy, I was afraid I would have to start over. Anyway, Jodi don't worry I have found that sourdough starter is very forgiving so you can't really "hurt it".

I am making bread today with it. This is an easy first timer recipe. It's from King Arthur Flour.

1 cup of "fed sourdough starter
1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons instant yeast
5 1/2 - 6 1/2 cups of unbleached all purpose flour
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon vegetable oil (I usually use Extra virgin Olive Oil instead)
cornmeal to sprinkle on baking pans

Combine all ingredients, using only 5 cups of the flour. Using your hands, an electric mixer or a bread machine set on the dough cycle, knead to form a smooth, soft dough, adding the additional flour as needed. Place dough in a greased bowl, cover, and let rise until doubled in size (about 1 hour).

Divide the dough in half and shape into two oval loaves. Place on a lightly greased, cornmeal - sprinkled baking sheet. Cover and let rise for an hour, until doubled. Slash the tops, and bake in a preheated 450 degree oven for 20 minutes.

Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2008 :  09:47:56 AM  Show Profile
Good for you Dawn, I'm glad you didn't give up on the starter. Mine is out and fed; shared with a lady on the local freecycle group. May as well bake up a loaf or two before it goes back into "cold storage".
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

4forMe
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

Dawn
Easton MD
166 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2008 :  08:15:42 AM  Show Profile
Well, I threw some sourdough into my bowl while mixing pancakes this morning and the kids loved it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2008 :  08:23:49 AM  Show Profile
It's been encouraging reading your posts about how y'all find the starter to be forgiving, lol. I'm starting to feel a little more confident about trying it! I admit I've been putting it off--still haven't done anything with it!! I'll just go for it and hope for the best!

~Jodi

Go to Top of Page

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
the mountainside of the Chugach in Alaska
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2008 :  09:47:32 AM  Show Profile
I've had Ronna's starter for a year or so now, has it been that long Ronna? maybe longer. That starter has become part of the family! jo

"life is drab without a lab"
http://web.mac.com/thomja/
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2008 :  10:18:14 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jo! A bit more than a year probably. Glad to know it's still alive and kicking...though I knew you would use it. For those who weren't on the forum at that time, Jo's Lab ate her starter and I offered to send her some of mine. Our Labs are such silly dogs sometimes :)
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2008 :  2:19:17 PM  Show Profile
My husband jokes that when I take the lid off the crock, it screams "FEED ME". That is just about the most active starter, my son says it makes him think of beer. jo

Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2008 :  4:25:06 PM  Show Profile
Smelling like beer is probably why the liquid is called Hooch. I always stir it back in, know some pour it off. I'm going to make some sourdough English Muffins, will share the recipe if they turn out well. It's a TNT recipe from other sourdough bakers, so should be great.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2008 :  10:46:15 AM  Show Profile
Ronna, pass the english muffin recipe on. I always stir my hooch back in, I love to sniff it! jo

Go to Top of Page

4forMe
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

Dawn
Easton MD
166 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2008 :  11:46:51 AM  Show Profile
My son (age 10) loves English muffins, please share the recipe.

Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2008 :  1:38:56 PM  Show Profile
The taste was good, but texture not full of holes like those you buy. Think, in chatting with the sourdough group on Yahoo, that I added too much flour and the dough was too stiff. I'm trying an English Muffin Bread recipe today and will compare the two...it might be a better choice for sharing.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2008 :  4:32:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Ronna-

Can you share your instructions on how to revive your starter again? I have a bag of the dry starter that needs some attention but I don't want to kill it!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2008 :  6:17:33 PM  Show Profile
Add a small amount of warm water to hydrate the starter, making a paste. Gradually add more water and flour, starting with maybe a tblsp of each, letting it sit between feedings. As the amount is increased and you see signs of bubbling, you can build it up to enough to use and have some left for feeding again. I like my starter fairly thick, like waffle or pancake batter, but that's just my opinion. When not being used frequently, or when it gets hot weather, it will sit and wait in the fridge without being fed until you're ready to use it again...or at least my starter is that way.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2008 :  6:57:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Ronna! This is your starter so I am sure it will "behave" itself :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2008 :  7:44:37 PM  Show Profile
I have a lot of mine dried, but have never revived any of it. Guess I should try to do it and then can toss it in with the wet stuff. I'll do that tomorrow. When I transfer to a clean Tupperware, I let the little bit left dry out and bag it up. You'd think this was pricey stuff, they way I hate to waste any :) If it doesn't revive, let me know. I have some wet in a bag now, in a box being sent to the farm with Idaho quilt magazine articles. You could likely get some of it if needed. I messed around and didn't make the english muffin bread today, will do it tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

4forMe
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

Dawn
Easton MD
166 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2008 :  05:03:24 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Ronna

You'd think this was pricey stuff, they way I hate to waste any :)

I know what you mean, when I was pulling some off after feeding to grow, I had to rack my brains on who to give it to, as I didn't want to throw it away. I remember the only other time I felt this way was when I was breastfeeding, I hated to dump breastmilk as it was like liquid gold in my opinion and yet it was free.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Sourdough Starter? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page