Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic depression link Next Topic  

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2008 :  11:20:04 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
http://frugalforlife.com/lessons-learned-from-the-depression/

for all of us that are having fun discussing possible depression in the economy.

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."
http://ligonierfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://liggygirl.blogspot.com/
http://liggygirlslonggreen.blogspot.com/

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2008 :  12:13:18 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the link I am going to look at it some more
I suffer from depression,
With all of my diseases and being Diabetic
and having fibromyalgia too.
Plus not to mention the money situation and all
and Us starting to build our retirement home
I may have to take in laundry and sewing for people?pinkroses

www.ohkayteagirl2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2008 :  12:38:30 PM  Show Profile
This looks like an interesting site. I will have to peruse it later from home.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

mennonite farm girl
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

ruby
apple valley minnesota
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2008 :  12:43:20 PM  Show Profile
I have not been on for a while, but when I read that someone is having a problem with depression, I knew that I had to jump in. About a year and a half ago I went to the doctor with signs of depression. I had lost my dad and in the same week lost my dear friend. My doctor, not one to just give out the drugs, recommended the book "The Chemistry of Joy" by Dr.Henry Emmons. A three stip program for overcoming depression through western science and eastern wisdom. Thru this book I learned that you do not need to take drugs to overcome depression. I have given out the information to many and with wonderful results by supporting mood with nutrional supplements and herbs. What better way than the natural way. Hope this helps.
God Bless
Ruby
www.homemadestitches.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2008 :  2:12:12 PM  Show Profile
Ruby - here is someting I hope will lift your spirits. On the Across The Fence section, I bragged about your quilting business. I hope you found those posts! And I sent you a box today in the mail for you and Barbara.

Great advice about depression. I hope it has helped you and will help others.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2008 :  9:06:49 PM  Show Profile
I am depressed today. This is a good topic. Mine covers both kinds-depressed emotionally, and financially.

They laid people off from work today. We lost one girl in our department.
I was lucky and didn't get the proverbial ax, but I still cried a little after we were informed which of us got it.
A downer of a day.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2008 :  04:39:05 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
Girlies, this made me laugh, ironically.....it's actually about the great depression back in the 20s...and saving money. BUT I do suffer from depression haha so I guess I'll join in.

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."
http://ligonierfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://liggygirl.blogspot.com/
http://liggygirlslonggreen.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2008 :  10:58:17 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the link, I think is is very topical with the economy right now. Garrison Keillor wrote a column not too long ago on whether or not it would be advisable to start saving tin foil, and I only think he was half kidding. I was actually going to post a new forum topic on when I saw this one...

I'd like to know if anyone has talked to their family/friends who lived through the Great Depression, to get insight on just how they managed, what inventions came out of necessity.

I recall reading of a woman whose grandmother who, to the end of her days, saved butter wrappers folded in the freezer for later use greasing cake pans and such. I never gave a second thought about tossing the wrappers until I read this. Now I have my own stack in the freezer and have not bought the spray stuff since. Local radio news said that backyard vegetable gardens are on the rise in a response to high food prices, reminiscent of Victory Gardens.

I think the country as a whole is spoiled on convenience consumerism. With economic and enviromental concerns it got me to thinking how many people could actually cope, get creative, make do, and get by if a second depression of the 1930s magnitude happened. I fear, not many. Farmgirls would be better prepared than most, and I would love to hear what your mamas/grandmammas/aunties who lived through the GD did, that we can all take cue from.

Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2008 :  1:10:59 PM  Show Profile
I have always scraped my butter papers. It comes from working in a bakery, where if a recipe yielded more, you got to eat the extras! My Grammy always used tea bags until the tea was about clear. My other grandma would buy Brawny paper towels, use them, wash them out, then hung them to dry and used them again. She also used to use her lipstick sparingly, and would color her cheeks with it. They both went through the depression.

Trish
Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
FREE TIBET!
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2008 :  2:42:59 PM  Show Profile
Too funny! I love reading about the depression . . . but not about being depressed. The depression really shouldn't be called that, as far as emotions go. They were so strong in the face of great financial challenge. So while they were depressed financially, they seemed to see the positive throughout all other areas of life. Rather interesting. While America has prospered financially over the last several decades, depression has increased. Just goes to prove money can't buy happiness. So maybe we all need A DEPRESSION to overcome DEPRESSION! LOL! Thanks for the link. I am always strengthened by learning from the strong people of the depression. For those of you who are depressed, the best advice I can give is to just keep moving each day . . . looking for someone else to help and reach out to. When you take your focus off yourself and on to others, it is amazing how quickly this "illness" dissipates.

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2008 :  5:13:20 PM  Show Profile
I am depressed quite a lot,
Even though I take medicines
Sometimes , it takes a long long time for it to be better
I lost my dad 3 years ago because the cancer got him
People say get over it when you are depressed think happy thoughts
get out and do something
If it were only that easy,
I suppose it will be this way until I get to go home to Heaven pinkroses

www.ohkayteagirl2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2008 :  08:29:07 AM  Show Profile
No, you are right. It isn't that easy, but I truly believe putting your mind on other things . . . especially the needs of others, makes a huge difference. That, and eating correctly. Too much chocolate, cheese, etc. and we can really change personalities.

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2008 :  12:53:41 PM  Show Profile
I do agree with that PB
I do strenthening excerises with a 2 lb. dumb bell
which helps.