whosiesandwhatnots
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

becky
bountiful utah
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2008 :  12:30:20 PM  Show Profile
Is there anyone out there who has gotten a copywright on a pattern before? i am looking into getting on for a few patterns that i have and am needing some contact info or websites that deal with them and whatever. i am really lost here, and needing some guidance. thanks! becky

http://www.whosiesandwhatnots.etsy.com

http://whosies.blogspot.com/

Aunt Em
True Blue Farmgirl

137 Posts

Emme
Carnation WA
137 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2008 :  3:59:54 PM  Show Profile
Its my understanding that anything you have created and put out publicly with your name on it is kind of automatically copywritten. I think if you are planning on posting them online or selling them somehow, if you just put a label on it saying its your pattern, please don't copy it,sell it, steal it and call it your own, etc that should be enough. Not sure how it works to enforce it if you find out someone is trying to use it without your authorization though. Hope it helps a little at least.

Farmgirl Sister #138
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2008 :  8:32:58 PM  Show Profile
I am an artist and I have had things copyrighted. It is true that you hold some rights automatically, but if you dont have copyright, you cant really get damages and if you consistently do not defend your copyright you can render your damages null that way as well. I suggest that unless you expect to make millions, you simply make a disclaimer on your packaging and state, copyright whosiesandwhatnots year 2008 and call it a day. If you are very concerned, you can send in all your designs for the year under one episode. Last year I spent $250 for all my 2006 designs and havent done it again since. Basically the hard part is that unless what you are doing is completely revolutionary people can still copy your work, change it slightly and call it their own. And sadly that is legal regardless. I have found a good stern letter or email stating that the person is infringing on my copyright, and that your attorney will take action if they do not cease and desist immediately works well.

But good luck to you!

Not all those who wander are lost...
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2008 :  9:10:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Speaking from experience regarding patterns, in the industry it is considered a gray area. Clothing can't be copyrighted because it is considered a "necessary good" and hence is considered in the public domain. However, patterns of your own fall halfway between artistic license and clothing copyright issues. I suggest, that if you honestly want to pursue protecting your pattern, you should speak to a copyright lawyer. However, if you aren't planning on mass marketing them, I would suggest, as the other ladies have, putting a label on asking people to not reproduce without your express written permission. That being said, if you do find that your pattern has been stolen, expect that it will be expensive to pursue enforcing your rights.

I know that isn't a cheerful response, but I wanted to let you know what my most recent experience with this direct matter has been. *hugs*

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MereOnceMoore
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Meredith
IL
33 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2008 :  10:28:09 AM  Show Profile
Back in the days before computers the rule was to make a copy of your work stick it in an envelope address and send it to yourself and then don't open it. That way you'd have the post marked date on your intellectual property. In the age of computers I don't know if that's necessary anymore

Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours.
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic copywright information Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page