Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2005 :  7:18:26 PM  Show Profile
I don't know what my problem lately has been with not being able to sleep but Thursday night I couldn't at all no matter what I tried. Finally at 3am I gave up trying and got up and cleaned like a crazy woman in the kitchen, took down all the curtains and threw them in the wash, washed the windows, washed the cabinet fronts, mopped and neatened up just about everything except the top of the fridge (I have my limits) then I sat down in my rocker at 6:15 and fell asleep..until my alarm went off 15 minutes later!! BUT my kitchen looks great!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2005 :  7:40:11 PM  Show Profile
I'd love to have that kinda energy! Regardless of the time of day! Hey, wanna come over to my place and clean my kitchen? I will feed you...

I hope you slept well the next day!

Cat

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2005 :  8:13:06 PM  Show Profile
Good for you Aunt Jenny! I've been having trouble sleeping too, but I haven't cleaned my kitchen, although it could surely use it. Instead, I was up at 2am and searched out some old pictures, then went back to bed and gave up at about 4am-- got up and cleaned out a storage room, found some treasures I was looking for and then began ironing at about 5:45am for almost 2.5 hours! Wow! I was ironing my vintage apron collection so they "be pretty" for some pictures I took today. I sure hope I sleep better tonight. Maybe it's the moon and planet thing. Too bad I'm not up on all of that.

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2005 :  8:39:37 PM  Show Profile
Yea Clare, going into the waxing moon now...the BIG one! Harvest Moon!!!! Jenny, wanna come clean my kitchen and utility room?We should all be gearing up and gettin a little crazy the next week and a half! Seems the boards get more "ACTIVE" AND fun kind of crazy around the time of the full moon.

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2005 :  9:40:40 PM  Show Profile
hmmmmmmI wonder if that is it...could be~!! I was up last night but had to just read..we were camping..just a one night campout with the kids..but the wind was howling and it was so pretty out I wanted to be outside. Couldn't get to sleep ..until of course right before everyone else woke up...so I did get a short nap in today. But...I THINK tonight I can sleep well..I hope~ If not..heck, the living room could use dusting and the laundry room could always use some cleaning..haha

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2005 :  10:41:59 PM  Show Profile
Aunt Jenny -- I am amazed at the amount of energy you have. When I can't sleep I just watch a little TV or read. I should channel my sleeplessness into something creative or getting chores done.

Meadowlark -- thanks for reminding us about the Harvest Moon! The last full moon was so gorgeous but this one will be even better. And I do believe that the moon does have an effect on people -- especially us crazy Farmgirls!

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2005 :  07:04:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
How weird- I couldn't sleep Sept 9th either even though I had to get up early for Farmer's Market!

Ciao

Alee
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2005 :  10:17:58 AM  Show Profile
Girls, The full Harvest moon is a week away on the 18th! Lets all get that mail art cranked out this week, all the fabric exchanges done, all the closets cleaned and organized, the kitchens sparkling, the weeds cut, the canning done, the kids taken care of, all the ironing done, the pets taken for their yearly shots, 3 square and healthy meals put on our tables for the family, bills paid, toilets and bathrooms cleaned and sanitized, and go to our respective work outside the home! Who has time for sleep?

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2005 :  10:24:53 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Meadowlark, I got tired just thinking about doing all those chores!

I also had a hard time sleeping Sept. 9. Under normal circumstances if I am awake for more than a half hour I get up and do something. Work on money management strategy, future planning, clean the kitchen, mop the floors, what-have-you.

And then I am tired the next day!
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2005 :  12:24:08 PM  Show Profile
Aunt Jenny, I wish I had your energy even during the day! When I can't sleep I have a habit of eating. Not a good habit to get into. It's starting to show!! Maybe I'll try cleaning....yeah, right! I have another question for you, it seems you are constantly busy and yet you have enough computer time to have the most posts of anyone. How in the world do you do it all? Bottle some of that energy and send me some.

Edited by - owwlady on Sep 11 2005 12:26:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2005 :  1:01:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
This morning I went into a Laundry, bathroom, porch, and kitchen cleaning frenzy! I wonder why it is that we are all feeling the need to get stuff done right now... Fall cleaning I guess?

Ciao

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2005 :  3:17:37 PM  Show Profile
I think the whole answer to me having the time is not sleeping well. If I ever get to where I sleep like a normal person I will probably be a real slacker!!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2005 :  5:23:27 PM  Show Profile
Dear Jenny,
Just another invite to come clean at my house! I usually read when I can't sleep. Our house is small, so if I get up and start cleaning, somebody else is bound to wake up. I've had strange sleep patterns since I entered menopause.And I always change sleep patterns a few weeks before the time changes...
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2005 :  6:39:18 PM  Show Profile
I think I have had strange sleep patterns since I was born!!! I have been worse since my first son was born (almost 28 years ago) I think at first it was me being nervous and listening for him all the time, and then it just never got better, and when they were teenagers me listening for them again...and then now I just listen too much period. I give up and get more done, but boy lately I have been sleepy in the daytime and I hate that!!
I read alot at night too...but this time of year I can always find something else to do. I end up canning late at night alot and doing laundry....my house is pretty small too, but my husband wears earplugs to sleep (says he hears too much that wakes him up..I say he hears his own snoring!!!!) and the kids can sleep through ANYTHING so I am okay. I should start up a nighttime cleaning service huh?? Of course I would have to clean for people who work nights or can sleep through anything like my kids!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  06:25:44 AM  Show Profile
I think you could be on to something with the late-night cleaning service! I just read an article that said if you can, take a short nap between 2 and 4 pm. It doesn't make you sleep less at night, it can help you think more sharply, and if you can sleep you NEED sleep. I doubt this person had kids to deal with or supper to fix, but an afternoon nap sure does sound good.
Until then we clean and read...
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  06:35:11 AM  Show Profile
Gosh that would be nice. The kids all get home from school at 3pm...wonder if I could sneak in a 2pm nap..worth a try..if I have time..haha lots of peaches to can today!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

john
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

martin
chelmsford essex
United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2005 :  05:33:38 AM  Show Profile
Yes I use bleach a lotI like it and find it effective. Would everyone make sure they protect their clothes and wear rubber gloves as it is not only an effective cleaner but can damage clothes and play havoc with your skin.
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2005 :  06:00:22 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
I have turned to vinegar. In order to make it a little more aromatic to my husband, I have been adding orange essential oil to it.
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2005 :  06:16:53 AM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
Ohhhh I like the short nap thing! Wish I could try that! LOL Aunt Jenny I'm the same - have a horrible time sleeping. Usually I can fall asleep just fine but it's the staying asleep part. I wake up and no matter what time that is (could be 2, 3, etc. in the wee hours) I'm just up! My normal time to get up right now is 4:00 anyway. I need to channel that energy into doing chores but instead I have a tendency to check on the forum!

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2005 :  09:35:36 AM  Show Profile
There must be something in the name. Except I have a hard time falling asleep, takes a couple hours. Once I am asleep, I only stay that way for a few hours then wake up. I will get up and read. I would like to do the cleaning thing ,but our house is mostly wood floors with high ceilings, so everything echos. Once I get my treadle working again I can always sew.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim

Edited by - Julia on Sep 27 2005 09:35:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tatiana
True Blue Farmgirl

98 Posts

Tania
Boise ID
USA
98 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2005 :  8:37:12 PM  Show Profile
Jenny:

Are you getting ready to birth something(a baby,a quilt or just a big idea)? Sounds kinda of like nesting.

I know what you mean though. I get that itch to clean big every so often too. Often it is when I am angry or fed up with something. Those are my best deep clean moments which are usually late at night.

Good job!! At least you won't have to attack your kitchen for a while. I just wish I would get that itch more often and in a more organized fashion.

Tania in Boise
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2005 :  06:12:29 AM  Show Profile
a big idea maybe..haha..not a baby for sure..too old, and no idea for a new quilt just yet..always have one in the works. I will take a big idea..hmmm now I will have to figure out what..haha

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  1:38:35 PM  Show Profile
Jenny, I have been on a cleaning frenzy this month too. Mine has been the shop and garage that I have attacked. My poor husband doesn't know what hit. By the time I finish we will both be able to find all the tools we own when we need them. I put up peg boards and am in the process of painting in all the tool outlines so that they get back where they belong. I have found things lost since we moved here 7 years ago. We neve had time to unpack everything so things just got lost. Now it is all done and i am feeling like i have climbed mount everest! Must be in the moon.
Eileen

Songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2005 :  5:16:16 PM  Show Profile
My kitchen could use a cleaning frenzy just now, it is currently in pieces while new vinyl flooring is being installed. Imagine my horror when the stove and refrigerator were pulled from their customary places. Whew . . . and I just cleaned behind there less than six months ago. But the worst was behind the bottom kick place of the dishwasher. But then it didn't occur to me to take that piece off for cleaning. :-) I quickly painted behind the stove and refrigerator so I wouldn't have to pull them out again to do that. And also the washer and dryer and water heater. My house will be nicer before I sell it than it EVER was. By the way, have any of you used those new Mr. Clean eraser/sponge things? They are wonderful. Perfect for cleaning things with texture, and great on walls. Only need to use water.
John, you sound like Heloise (the household hints lady) :-)
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  2:12:18 PM  Show Profile
Just had a funny conversation with my daughter. I told her about painting the outlines of the tools on the peg board so we would know what was missing and when to go looking for it. She told her husband about this thinking it was a good idea. Well He told her to "Never Ever" do that to him. I guess he thinks it is a little too over the top. Oh well we both had a good laugh. He can neve find his tools when he needs them. Go figure.
Eileen

Songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Kitchen cleaning frenzy Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page