Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic AHHH!! Home... Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2008 :  5:10:17 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
HeatherHeartFelt mentioned something in her post about falling in love again with her house. When did you know your home was the right one? Or, if you are like me without that perfect place yet, what are you looking for? Once you moved in, how long did it take you to get comfortable? What were the first things you did- unpack, put in a garden, decorate, just plop down and laugh and enjoy?

I swear I get vibes off of places. We went to look at a house near the water and it was just plain creepy to me even though it was full of sunshine and in a beautiful spot. I just couldn't live there. I have to have land with some trees( for the birds, making tents, hanging the hammock, shade for rest...etc) and the house itself has to have a good air flow (don't ask..) and lots of windows or potential for such. I really enjoy looking at houses and dreaming of howI could polish them up.

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2008 :  6:31:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
I can not stand this house that I'm in. It seems like every time I turn around, there is something wrong :( I've never felt like I was "home" in this house. I guess I just have dreams of a bigger, roomier house for the family. Maybe one day I'll find that perfect house!

Crafty Bay Farmgirl Chapter

"A friend is someone who does things that count, but never stops to count them"

Farmgirl #152

http://countryintheburbs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2008 :  8:29:23 PM  Show Profile
Oh Tammy, I am sorry to hear that :( I love my funky city apartment. The kichen actually looks like a country kitchen with a windowpane door that leads to the garden! And I have all sort of cute dooh-dads in it! But the apt is really roomy and I can put all my stuff into it nicely and still stretch out. Trust me, most people can't, in New York City!

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com
www.pumpkinpatchparlor.etsy.com

And Blogs:
agriculture: www.bigtownfarmer.blogspot.com
art: www.queenofcrows.blogspot.com
animals: www.big-luv.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2008 :  06:42:16 AM  Show Profile
I love our house too!! Right now spring is here in sunny CA!!! My garden is my nirvana! If I didn't have to work I'd stay out there all day! Things are blooming all over, birds are singing, it smells amazing... Except for maybe Maui...there is no place I love better than my own home!

"No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars,or sailed to an uncharted land or opened a new heaven to the human spirit." Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2008 :  08:38:00 AM  Show Profile
I love our house. It was built in 1867 without a foundation and neglected for many years. It needs roof work and a foundation, new sub-floor in the kitchen and back room and parts of the house are sagging. It needs a lot of work and we've done a lot to it already with more planned for this summer. But it's ours and what ever it needs, I'm happy to do it.

This house has character that you just can't get in a newer home. Beautiful old wood and old wavy glass windows and a huge farm-style kitchen and wrap-around porch. Oh, and the ghost/spirit. He only seems to come around in the winter and tends to hang out in the kitchen. He doesn't bother anything or anybody and seems to really like our dogs. Our old border collie, Pal, who we lost last spring, really liked our ghost as he would pet him. Our younger border collie, Cody, was afraid of him at first. But he's getting used to him being around, now.

Our house has lots of quirks. Walls and doors are not plumb or square, floors are not level, doors don't open or close properly, but it's ok with me. We're fixing all the necessary things that are important in keeping the house standing and safe. I guess, because we didn't become home owners until late in our lives that I just appreciate the fact that we even HAVE a home.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2008 :  08:57:20 AM  Show Profile
What a cool house Lisa! I want a ghost!! but we have a vintage"1980s track house!!!!Possibly only dead gopher ghosts!!!

"No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars,or sailed to an uncharted land or opened a new heaven to the human spirit." Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2008 :  11:04:54 AM  Show Profile
I fell in love with my 1920 craftsman bungalow the first time I saw it. We were relocating from another state, and I was still in PA while my husband started the house-hunt, assisted by my mom and dad. My mom knew it was the house I wanted before I had even seen it! It's so frustrating, though, loving an old house. The boiler is original to the house and scares the bejesus out of me (it's the size of a car!), most of the doors don't shut properly, the cedar-shake roof is going to cost $50,000 - a third of the price of the house - to replace, and worst of all - it attracts BATS!
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2008 :  2:11:13 PM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
I am continually falling in love with our house over and over because I just see things different or realize something or change things:)

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."
http://ligonierfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://liggygirl.blogspot.com/
http://liggygirlslonggreen.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic AHHH!! Home... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page