Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2008 :  10:17:51 AM  Show Profile
Well..after yesterday afternoon we no longer own 2 Peking ducks.

Seems that once we introduced the female duck to the drake "Daffy" that he became overly protective of her and of what he percieved to be "his territory"..in other words our entire back yard suddenly became his domain to "protect".

So much so that every time my daughter would go outdoors, and if the ducks were out..it was almost guaranteed that she'd be attacked by the drake duck and pecked ...sometimes not just once but numerous times..and these pecks weren't baby pecks..rather they were hard "bites" that resulted in bruises of nearly a blood blister look. Ouch!

So...something had to change!

After placing an ad in our local advertiser last week with no results..I decided to call up our local feed supply store yesterday morning and inquire as to whether the owner of the store knew of anyone interested in owning a pair of Peking ducks.

She told me that I could bring them to the store and that they would take them.

So..to the feed store I went yesterday.

Once I got there she asked me if I wanted her to sell the ducks for me..I quickly thought of this and yes..I could have probably made a wee bit of money trying to sell them, but in the back of my mind I thought..hmm..and what if for some reason she isn't able to sell them in what she percieves to be a timely fashion and then what? Do I get called to come pick them up again? No!

So..I quickly said "oh no!..that's o.k...I thought maybe I'd just go ahead and let you have them to sell for yourself"

Of course she liked that idea and I did too knowing that once I made the deal..it was a done deal and I could walk away free and clear.

So we quickly got the ducks situated into the cage at the feed store. What a relief.

I did stop to look at some of the gerbera daisies and parsley plants and she gave a few of them to me for the ducks.

Anyhow..I honestly have no remorse...no regrets.

They'll have a chance to live on a farm with a pond perhaps.
And I'll have a daughter with bruise free arms again.

It wound up being a learning experience for our whole family..raising the ducklings to maturity and also learning that unless we have a pond and plenty of space..having ducks in the city just wouldn't work for us.

Sometimes in life you have to learn things by going through them.

All in all though it was quite a fun experience for the most part, until the duck turned aggressive.

Anyhow..since alot of you had followed my progress reports on the ducks from way back when they were babies..I thought it proper to let you know that we are now a duck less family.
And...I'm a bit relieved for it honestly.

They were beautiful animals don't get me wrong, but when one of them starts getting ornery..well..it just is best for all involved to call it quits. I hope that now they'll have a chance to splash arounds in a pond somewhere for their remaining years.
----------
We simply are reduced down to owning 2 chickens and one puppy now. Much easier
to manage.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2008 :  10:51:22 AM  Show Profile
Well, it was quite an experience wasn't it? And you did the right thing when the time came. I am sure your daughter would rather have bruise free arms too. You got some nice plants in exchange and lots of memories of the baby ducks. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic No More Quackers Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page