Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 St. Pat's day menu....upping the old "stand by's"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic St. Pat's day menu....upping the old "stand by's" Next Topic  

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2008 :  09:06:30 AM  Show Profile
I love our St. Pat's day food traditions, but admittedly, after so long (like Thanksgiving) they get a little "tired"...so I found some really nice recipes on Epicurious by some (young=hip Irish chefs) and I think I'm gonna give them a try. One is very much like the Guinness Beef Boxty that my husband loves from our the pub we met, and since St. Patty's day is on a Monday, I'm thinking I might make a pared down version of corn beef (as a sammich) since we'll both be working all day and I won't have the time to devote to slow cooking...

Sunday
Guinness Pie (with puff pastry crust) served with Champ
Monday
Corn beef and swiss on Rye with carmelized onions, green apple and sauerkraut slaw (and leftover champ, broiled on the top to brown it)

What are you cooking?

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/

Nicie
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Denise
Lincoln NE
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2008 :  06:05:13 AM  Show Profile
Sounds good. What's Champ?

We will be traditional. One for hubby and I and one for my kids at college. My daughter is home for spring break so I will send some back with her to my son who couldn't come home because of work.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2008 :  07:58:38 AM  Show Profile
Mashed potatoes with lots of cream, butter and scallions (both wite and green parts)

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
Go to Top of Page

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2008 :  09:37:59 AM  Show Profile
my corned beef is cooking in the crockpot as i write/type???! that "champ" sounds good, i think i'll try that instead of the parsley'd potatoes i was gonna make. i bake cabbage in a sweet cream sauce that i found in the joy of cooking. everyone likes it. and i just make sure i have enough beer, incase anything doesn't come out perfect.....they'll never know! have fun tonight!!!
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2008 :  09:47:21 AM  Show Profile
The cabbage sounds wonderful, Sue. I usually just butter mine (seems to be a theme:)) but this year I'm making (myself) brussel sprouts with brown butter and caraway seeds. I'm the only one who'll eat em' so might as well get what I want :)

Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2008 :  11:45:45 AM  Show Profile
I felt quite organized and ahead of the game this year...bought all the fixings for corned beef and cabbage, potatoes and onions and loaded them into the crockpot Friday morning. We worked outside all day and came in to a great-smelling kitchen and completely cooked meal. I made blueberry muffins to go with it and we reallly enjoyed it.

Then ***this was my FAVORITE part*** I packaged up all the leftovers and reheated them when we got home from work yesterday; another fine meal, and I got to relax for a bit after work, before we dove into our "proper" St. Patty's Day meal. Most years, I don't get the day right, since it takes several hours to cook the corned beef and cabbage, so I thought myself to be quite the clever little elf this year. Worked for us, anyway, and DH finished off the last of the leftovers for his lunch today!

The corned beef that I bought last week (on sale) was so good that I went back and bought another (still on sale!) this morning on the way to work. It will go into the freezer for next time. We eat this meal fairly often, plus I like to make my own corned beef hash once in a while.

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"

Edited by - Hideaway Farmgirl on Mar 18 2008 3:38:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

Georgia
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Angie
ballwin mo
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2008 :  12:26:05 PM  Show Profile
You can make a wonderful soup out of the water you simmer your meal in. Just keep the water and throw in any left over cabbage potaooes, corned beef, carrots or whatever and thicken it with instant potatoe flakes. We call in Poppy's Irish Chowder and it is yummy!

dreamer
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2008 :  3:39:41 PM  Show Profile
Yes, the leftover broth always goes into the freezer to be used in another meal. One time, I made home-made doggy biscuits and it called for any flavor broth, so I used some corned beef broth from the freezer, The dogs went nuts for those doggy biscuits!

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2008 :  7:38:06 PM  Show Profile
That's a great idea, Jo, doggie biscuits. I've got plenty of whole wheat flour on hand and they are decidedly without treats (or so I've been told :))....I put my stock in a lg. plastic bag and will use it on the weekend. It's nicely flavored with fresh thyme...I'm sure our Elie (or Chunky Monkey as dh calls him) won't mind at all :)

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic St. Pat's day menu....upping the old "stand by's" Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page