Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 WHAT CHANGES HAVE YOU MADE?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic WHAT CHANGES HAVE YOU MADE? Next Topic  

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2008 :  11:03:58 AM  Show Profile
LIFE is so wonderfully ever changing .. we get 'into' something .. then out of the corner of our eye .. see something else and roam down another road. Are there things that you have LOVED .. and then found yourself 'loving' something else even more?

For about the last year, i have found that i buy fewer and fewer antiques .. I already have so many favorites that i love and adore .. and they have loving memories attached to them. I rarely see anything that i would 'rather' have .. and these little cabins cannot hold all i have found over the years. And usually, what i do find (except at Sugarbucket's!!!!) .. is not as good a quality as what i already have .. sooo .. i've been less and less interested in selling what i love to buy something that i don't love as much!

I still have a whole 'schoolhouse' full of delightful treasures to sell .. sooo .. i rarely buy any more for re-sale. I ALSO have discovered that since honey hunk has been here .. and the grandes keep comin' along .. that i would much rather take my time and pennies and TRAVEL . .have ADVENTURES .. and buy prizes for the little ones.

what 'things' ... 'values' ... etc. do you find has changed for you over the years .. and especially lately? xo

True Friends * Frannie

HEAR MY STORIES
come, visit my:
"GATHERING ROOM" ..
http://freedomvalleyfarm.blogspot.com

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. up for adoption:
http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2008 :  11:17:28 AM  Show Profile
I used to be so anxious about how I looked, spent a mint on tons of make-up and clothing and now I'm finding that I'm just fine in whatever suits my moods and I'm more interested in living a good and fulfilling life with things organic, sustainable and good for the earth. I am more interested in making my little house the place I'm glad to come home to and remodelling it. Things change and I'll pick up more new pathways that I want to travel down as time goes by...good topic Frannie

Annika
Farmgirl sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
http://innermountainmudhens.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoonsgarden.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2008 :  11:43:42 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I with Annika, though I prefer quantity over quality and ease of simplicity in my life. I have also become a health fanatic, more than just the usual eat good and exercise. I am finding ways to incorporate that into my life with everything I do, the things I eat, the products I buy, etc....

I am finally getting around to decorating my home- we have move so many times that I didn't put any effort into decore because we would be moving again soon. Now, I am going to buy some curtains, am having a few nice pictures enlarged, a few candles, etc. We may be renting but I need to make a nice home now.

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

LauraH
True Blue Farmgirl

305 Posts

Laura
North Creek New York
USA
305 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2008 :  12:02:53 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I totally agree with you all, especially right now, career wise.. I was a professional chef, trained with an associates degree. I have worked at really high end restaurants, owned an organic cafe.. Then I worked as a nursery school teacher for 3 yrs. Now I am in a school district as a teacher's assistant & now going to go back to college to get my master's & certification... It is always amazing how things change, you change & your interests are ever changing... Keeps life interesting!!
Laura
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2008 :  12:26:09 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
OH my gosh!!! I can't tell you how many times I have changed "careers" but I know I have found my calling in healthcare.

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2008 :  1:00:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
Since I've been with my hubby (8 years now!), I haven't moved. I used to move at least once a year for about 15 years! I guess it was the gypsy in me (or the lack of quality landlords). I have been grounded..lol I still get the urge (STRONGLY) to pack up and live somewhere else, but I stop to think about my family and my new little grandbaby on the way! So, fornow, I have to tame the inner gypsy and stay here :(. One day I'll have that big ole' house with the front porch swing...

Crafty Bay Farmgirl Chapter

"A friend is someone who does things that count, but never stops to count them"

Farmgirl #152

http://countryintheburbs.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Tammy Claxton on Mar 08 2008 1:02:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2008 :  1:06:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Well the past year has brought so many changes with the birth of my first baby. So many things that I once thought of as important aren't now. Being closer to our family is super important for me, and while I always have been close to my family, they have become even more dear to me.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2008 :  8:43:52 PM  Show Profile
I'm kindof with Tammy on the gypsy thing. You couldn't pay me to stay in one place before I met my husband. Had a lot to do with my choice of career (dancing) and the fact that jobs came as quickly as they went with injury, new company directors, etc...and then I got injured and had to quit.

Aside from learning new things constantly, and not being "afraid" to actually attempt things I've never done before, the biggest change is in me, personally. I got full length mirror last month. Now, that may sound like a really goofy thing to say, but since I was 16, I never, NEVER, looked at anything other than my face (in a mirror) outside of the dance classroom...because I spent sooo much time picking myself apart--we were TAUGHT to--that I really just hated my body. Liked my face, though. I've carried that weirdness with me even after I stopped dancing, until last month. Don't know what happened...mostly just the realization that I am "me" still, even with a little extra weight, or years. And there's noone else who thinks I'm horrible. It was just me. So I stopped thinking that way, and my first step was to go out and buy a full length mirror and ONLY look at it when I'm getting ready for work, so I don't have stupid clothes on. It's working so far, and I'm really proud of myself for such a major change.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2008 :  07:10:33 AM  Show Profile
Somebody told me that once you were past the "acquisition" stage of life it was better- I think I am there.
I think once there are grandkids you realize how quickly the younger years flew and "things" find their rightful place BEHIND people- young or old.
I have the same primitives I have loved for years and have added minor things-only when I could not resist.
Therefore-like you Frannie, I am not eager to part with things attatched to memories for things that I don't love as much.

Messes come and go but we have a very short time ,really, to enjoy the people we love- so I guess I have relaxed my rules for me about cleaning so that I can enjoy the one child I have left at home and the only grandbaby near enough to see regularly.

My husband has been faithful to date me regularly once a week for 35 yrs so I am happy to say he has reminded me to stop and do the same with each of the kids we can .
Also, I have allowed myself to release my kids emotionally -since some of them will likely never live close by again.
Did I get off-topic? It is early for me to be thinking!!

Blessings,
Autumn
Farmgirl #49
http://simplytoday-autumn.blogspot.com/

Isaiah 40:31
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Go to Top of Page

farminmama
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

Jen
Florida
USA
63 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2008 :  3:30:06 PM  Show Profile
I used to be VERY uptight. I am way more relaxed now, especially with my children. Mud, getting rowdy, wrestling around on the floor, play-doh messes, paint...I don't mind it so much now. I like to see them smile. The smile means so much more thatn a perfectly clean and organized house.

There was a moment when everything changed, especially with my children. It was this quote:

Cleaning and scrubbing can wait til tomorrow
Cause babies grow up much to our sorrow
So quiet down cobwebs, dust go to sleep
I'm rocking my babies, and babies don't keep.

Not sure who wrote it, but it changed everything. I used to be a neat freak, now we still keep it all tidy, but it is more like something we do, not who we are.

Not sure if any of this makes sense...

Jen
sweetheart to Harley
mama to 3 beautiful angels...^i^ ^i^ ^i^
farmgirl Sister #151
Go to Top of Page

Linda Houston
True Blue Farmgirl

538 Posts

Linda
Lake Charles Louisiana
USA
538 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2008 :  4:51:53 PM  Show Profile
Each of you have touched on changes that I have made. Since I have retired and am living alone, I find that the simpler I can live the better I enjoy life. I have completely changed the way I dress---much more casual and free. I love it...Make up only when I want to wear it and I go where I really want to go and not have to go to do the right thing.

I am going through my home giving away and have made a pledge not to bring things back in to take the place of the things I have given away. The way my life is today, I don't have the time or energy to take care of so much stuff.

I go birding, work in my yard, spend time with friends and always have a open door for family and friends. It 's a wonderful life and I am looking forward to the next change that I know will come.

Linda H.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2008 :  5:01:15 PM  Show Profile
For me, change has been putting my focus on what I feel are "real" things. For the last five years I have not worked full time, and do you think I have missed that big paycheck? Not yet! I keep thinking maybe when nursing home time rolls around, I will be sorry I let the big paychecks go, but I tell you time with my grandgirls and my daughter, and my garden, and my family mean a whole lot more to me than money. The quiet days at home make me so happy! That has been the biggest change in me - I would not trade the last five years for anything! Even though there is a lot less in the bank! Being a "career woman" - forget it!!!! I am having faith that all will be well, and I am enjoying God's gifts.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic WHAT CHANGES HAVE YOU MADE? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page