Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2008 :  6:00:34 PM  Show Profile
So here's a funny question for you...and totally frivilous. What's your take on blind dates? Ever been on one? My brother asked me if I'd consider going out on a blind date with a man that is a friend of a friend and I told him I'd have to think about it first. I haven't really dated in several years, not for any reason in particular I've just not put myself out there and there hasn't been anyone that's really caught my attention that strongly. I feel like I'm totally out of the loop with dating so I'm a little nervous about having my first date in so long be a blind date...especially since I've never been on a blind date either.

So, thoughts? experiences? I'd love to hear what any of you ladies would have to say.

http://ruby--slippers.blogspot.com/
www.leezard.etsy.com

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2008 :  7:38:14 PM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
I only went on one blind date in my life and I wouldn't repeat the experience for all the tea in China, but that's just me. It was horrible. I was only about 20 at the time. I was working at a very small local restaurant where everyone knew each other quite itimately, (not that way, but you know). the bartender asked me to go out with her cousin who was new to town and wanted to meet people and just get used to the area. Being woefully single at the time, I agreed. She gave him my phone number and he called. We were to meet up at another local place that was a type of Irish pub. Quite fitting, since I'm only 5 foot nothing and He was probably 4 foot maybe 1! (She admitted that she only asked me because I was the shortest person she knew!) After trying to ply me with drinks,(I was underage), he went right for how many kids I wanted, how soon I wanted to get married, whether or not I thought mother in laws should live with me, etc....!!!!It took me two months and a change of address to get him off my tail.
Contrary to this, I have talked to people that had great experiences, so don't let just mine scare you off!

FarmGirl Sister #123

Crafty Bay FarmGirls Chapter

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.
Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2008 :  9:13:57 PM  Show Profile
I unfortunately have been on more blind dates than I care to mention. All have been pretty awful and some down right torture. I have a nosey sister that thought I should get married asap and put me together with some horible men that I wouldn't send my worst enemy to. There's the guy that went out with me because I was Japanese and he thought he could practice his japanese language skills with me (really bad accent couldn't understand him) and so I just said that I may be japanese but I can't speak a word of it. (I was lying) And then there was a guy that picked me up in a van and it had a bed and mini bar in the back of it. Needless to say I got out of the van and told him I would be driving my car tonight. Then there was a guy that insisted he order food for me at the restaurant (he ordered everything I hate) then asked me what else do I want to do because he didn't think the date would go well so he didn't plan anything else to do but since he liked me we could find some stuff to do. I told him I wanted to watch the MTV music awards with my roommate and could he just take me home. I had another guy tell me his entire life story and complained about his mom, ex girlfriends, and everyone is out to get him, he lives at home with mom, has no job and had to have me pay for my bill because he didn't have enough money and was borrowing cash anyway to pay for the date, and he had the nerve to ask if we could go out again, ( I said let's not waste anytime and the answer is no) That's just the tip of the iceberg, but all in all I would say that it makes for amusing conversation afterward and you will definately find out what you don't want in a man very quickly. So that being said I say go for it and let us know what happened.

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2008 :  04:42:17 AM  Show Profile
LOL...I do figure that, if nothing else, I could get a good story out of it. The other plus I thought of was that if it didn't work out we wouldn't be likely to cross paths again. Thank you for sharing your experiences with me ladies!

www.leezard.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

italianchildhood
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

172 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2008 :  07:25:16 AM  Show Profile
I have never been on a blind date, and I'm very shy, so I think it would be difficult for me.

I think, though, that they can be worth a shot. First, how much do you trust the person who is setting you up, I think that should tell you something right there, and secondly, I would pick a brief, daytime event such as coffee for starters--if it doesn't work out you don't have to go through the torture described above... Best wishes.

----------------------
http://YouCraft.org ... free crafts classifieds listings
Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2008 :  07:41:04 AM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
I have been on numerous blinds dates, some have been good, some are going into my new book titled "Dates from Hell" (I'm serious).
The key for me is to look at it all as a big adventure and not invest anything more than that in it.
If I show up expecting to find my soul mate, I might be horribly dissapointed. BUT if I show up with the intention of having fun and simply enjoying someone elses company, the energy shifts and it can be very pleasant!
I say go for it! Enjoy. And if you like each other you can plan another date. If you don't, well then you had the wonderful opportunity of meeting someone new and having a nice dinner out!
It really is win/win!

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom"
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2008 :  3:47:43 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for sharing your thoughts Linda and italianchildhood! I really like to hear what other ladies think about this kind of thing and how they've delt or how they'd deal with it. Thank you all again!

I think I've decided to give it a go and plan for an afternoon meeting for coffee or something of that sort, very casual and non-assuming. It may not happen for a few weeks because I've got a pretty hefty work schedule and won't be able to get north to meet with him but I'll try to remember to let you know how it works out if it happens. :)

www.leezard.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2008 :  4:16:39 PM  Show Profile
Oh me, that takes me back in years.
I was in the 11th grade.
A long time frend of mine wanted me to go out with this guy that she knew
She said" Oh, he is so handsome and he has a good job" if I wasn't married I would go out with him."
Well, the guy showed up at my home
My parents had to met the guys I went out with first.
I was never so surprised and shocked about the guy she called "handsome"
I guess beuty is in the eye of the beholder in this case !!!Ha
He was like 20 or more years of my age.
Sorta tall
Really goofie looking, but nice that is the only thing of his quialities I give him
We didn't get very far down the road when he
sprung this on me. Rmember I was in my teens.
He said," I am looking for a young girl like you who is clean,
unattaced and will have You know what with him?"
I told him he had the wrong person.
Told him to take me back home right then,
Well, I got back home, Mom and dad asked me if something was wrong,
I told them what had happened
Boy, were they shocked as I was.
My friend called me the next day to see what I had thought
I told her never, ever to set me up with any of "her friends!!"
So, think about it before you go
Better yet, tell him you need to meet with him before going out
I never made a mistake like that again, Ha. Pinkroses

www.ohkayteagirl2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2008 :  2:44:15 PM  Show Profile
Wow, I'm surprised your parents let you go out with a guy that much older than you and then for him to speak to you like that, I'm glad he drove you home after revealing his thoughts on what he was looking for!

I've given the okay to set up this blind date so we'll see how it goes... :)

www.leezard.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2008 :  2:45:55 PM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
I went on one and it was horrible. lol the guy was SOOO not my type luckily we did it in a group setting. Now that I'm single again I think I'd try again. You never know!!! :)

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."
http://ligonierfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://liggygirl.blogspot.com/
http://liggygirlslonggreen.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4741 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4741 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2008 :  2:49:37 PM  Show Profile
I went on one blind date when I was 20 and it was a total disaster! The guy lived in Chicago and I lived in the country. He had a terrible time finding my house since the roads back then didn't have signs. He was quite irritated by the time he finally found it. Then we went and saw a real downer movie with some friends of his. I didn't know the friends were included, so I was left out of pretty much all of their conversations. At the movie we wound up sitting in front of my grandmother and her very loud sister. They both yelled out at the same time, "Dawnie" I can't stand being called that. Then they proceeded to talk through the entire movie like they were at home! Very embarrassing and all in all a total disaster of a night! I laughed about it later, but it was awful at the time.

Good luck on deciding what to do.
Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2008 :  06:02:43 AM  Show Profile
I have also been on a few blind dates.

The best was w/ a Marine who now lives just 20 minutes away. While we were both in Southern CA. We had a blast and continued to correspond for over a year. We are both happily married to other people now. Sometimes I wonder if we'll ever cross paths again. It's probably better if we don't.

The worst was w/ an Army guy who couldn't hold his liquor. All he did on our date was drink all night, then proceed to get sick and pass out on my couch. At the end of the evening I woke him up to kick him out. He had the gall to ask for a kiss. I don't think so!

I kind of miss the thrill but am very happy being happily married.

These days its real risky.

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2008 :  09:29:47 AM  Show Profile
I was always way too chicken. Some of my friends wanted to "fix me up" when I was single but I didn't try blind dates. I can't wait to hear how yours goes!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Blind Dates? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page