electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2008 :  07:41:59 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday morning we awoke to a temperature of 10 below, and it didn't feel all that much warmer inside. My daughter wanted me to give her a ride up to a friend's house (90 mile round trip) and I said sure, she's spending the weekend, and will get a ride home from them, but I told her we would have to make a side trip to my favorite junk store. I have really been behaving myself lately, haven't been there for a couple of months, and there aren't very many junk/thrift stores in my neck of the woods. First I spy a mixing bowl that must be 1950s era, a small one, just right for scrambling eggs, with little turquoise snowflakes on it, then I move off the porch into the store proper and it is a table mounded up with doilies and old napkins and damask tablecloths that smacks me right between the eyes.
I gathered up an armload of cloth bits and pieces, some with embroidery, some well worn old linen facecloths, etc. and was directed to set them down over on the desk. The next aisle had another heap of more linens and I had great fun sorting through those as well. I was hoping to spy some old crocheted pot holders, but none were there. I got two huge bags of cloth. I like to use old napkins and hankies for doll clothes when I ever have the time to do it...
My daughter even spotted something she liked, goofy plastic plates with chefs on them (she has this thing about chefs) and the fellow running the place gave them to her. So we were quite pleased when we left, getting so many wonderful treasures.
Then as we continued on our way downeast (which really means north to people not familiar with Mainers' peculiarities of speech) I spied a rummage sale due to open at three p.m. at the Ellingham Corner's church. I have seen the sign for those before, ususally when I have Susannah with me, so I told her, well this time i was going to stop and check it out because it would just fit in with my return schedule. She just rolled her eyes. Every time I'd been by before she'd always threatened me with grievous bodily harm if I dared to stop, listing all the reasons I shouldn't, too much crap at home already, etc.
After getting lunch with my daughter and dropping her off at her friends' house, I toyed with the thought of going to Jo
Ann's to get some kind of goofy item to use in the spring mini apron swap, but I didn't want to miss that rummage sale, and I had already spent a lot of money at the junk store.
The church rummage sale was great. I got lots of books for 25 cents each, several hardcovers for a dollar, a beautiful old chintz curtain and one goofy card .
On my way into my house one of the paperbags full of linens exploded, but I finally got everything indoors. I feel positively wicked. Later today, if I can summon the strength I'll arrange an assortment and take a picture and maybe I'll even be able to post it. I always enjoy viewing other thrifty treasures, so I figure I should return the favor....
Sorry to run on so, it was just such a treat, sand it was the last day of the F month, so I figured I deserved it. It's snowing heavily here today, I hope you are all well and warm..
Karin

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2008 :  08:03:18 AM  Show Profile
Good for you!!!! I love to browse in junk shops!!! It's relaxing!!! Stay warm!

"No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars,or sailed to an uncharted land or opened a new heaven to the human spirit." Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2008 :  08:19:25 AM  Show Profile
Karin.
Hope you can post pictures, sounds like you got a lot of good stuff, especially for your sewing projects. What kind of pot holders were you looking for?
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2008 :  08:45:24 AM  Show Profile
My favorite kind are the ones crocheted with thin cotton thread, they are usually two thicknesses,with a flower on the front, or sometimes they are in the shape of something, I have once that is a basket, one is a dress. I have a pair of little green shorts that I think of as the leprechaun's pants (I obviously have too much time on my hands). They are just so sweet, I don't know if anyone ever used them, the ones I have are pristine, and I have them up on my pantry wall. Karin
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2008 :  08:46:59 AM  Show Profile
Karin, I have a huge collection of crochet potholders. I have lots of dresses and short. In my last house I had a curtain rod across the kitchen window- I strung the dresses on the rod- everyone loved it.

Blessings, Debra
Psalms 23:1 "The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want."
http://myvintagehome.blogspot.com
http://woolieacres.net
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2008 :  08:49:00 AM  Show Profile
Someone in my quilt group had a summer quilt, tied, with no filling, but it had a damask tablecloth as a back and it felt lovely. When I finally put together my spinning stars quilt I decided to use an old tablecloth, but I put in a cotton batting and hand quioted it. i have only washed it once, and holes appeared in the damask, teaching me I should wash the tablecloths once before I use them, but I'll just applique something over the holes this time. Jusst thought I'd toss that in...Karin
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2008 :  09:20:24 AM  Show Profile
Oh Karin---a trip worth making. I do hope you can get pictures. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

italianchildhood
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

172 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2008 :  1:41:24 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like a wonderful day.
I love rummage sales myself, because there's lots of stuff all in one place! As I see it, it's a time-efficient way of getting lots of stuff... if you're inclined... which I usually am...

----------------------
http://YouCraft.org ... free crafts classifieds listings
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2008 :  09:28:11 AM  Show Profile
Okay, now these pictures aren't too great, but it gives you an idea of this load o stuff. There were about five dozen damask napkins and four big tablecloths under these, I weeded out the damaged stuff that I will probably use for dolls' clothing or crazy quilting.I had treated myself to a farmgirl sisterhood membership so I felt a wee bit guilty (not for long) spending another $20 on all this. Now I get to wash and press and sort and pat and enjoy...Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2008 :  09:29:17 AM  Show Profile
Whoops I forgot the thing to see these with:http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r316/electricdunce/bits%20and%20pieces/ Someday I'll figure out how to post directly , K.

Farmgirl Sister #153
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2008 :  11:16:59 AM  Show Profile
Karen,
You really did get a lot of nice things. So many things you could use them for, makes my head whirl with ideas.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2008 :  11:37:36 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Very Cool Items. WE can never have enough can we.

http://www.bboopster.blogspot.com
3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2008 :  12:40:32 PM  Show Profile
Debra, I never thought of using them in a window, that's a great idea. I don't have enough to do all the windows in my kitchen, but that just leaves me with the excuse to keep on looking for them. A;though I'm thrilled with all the treasures, I am suddenly feeling like I might have a few too many, this time of year the least addition to the house makes it feel stuffed even more. After I get everything washed and pressed I'll have to post a drawing for something. It's going to take me a while to get to it think. I just spent three hours hunting for the blank squares for the rest of the spring flower block challenge. They were cleverly hidden under the mounds of bits of cloth I'd dug out for the mini apron challenge. It is easy to get distracted on this site! I'm determined not to sign up for anything else until I get my last six blocks done! Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

777 Posts

Lea
TN
777 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2008 :  4:08:05 PM  Show Profile
Goodness, you sure did well, Karin. I, too, just can't resist an old linen. I always find someway to use them. I would LOVE to see a photo of your spinning star quilt sometime. Has it already been posted on the forum?

Blessings, Lea
www.farmhouseblessings.blogspot.com
www.farmhouseblessings.etsy.com
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Jim Elliot
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2008 :  4:16:03 PM  Show Profile
Lea, There's a picture of my spinning stars quilt on this link:http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r316/electricdunce/ It was a friendship block that members of my quilt group made squares for me. It was the first time I ever paper pieced anything, which is why the points all look so nice. Actually someone in my quilting group is showing us how to make paper pieced pine tree blocks this week. Old linens are just so sweet, they feel so soft and even the ones with holes in them still retain a certain something that appeals to me, and I always enjoy imagining names for all the monograms...Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Junk Store EXTRAVAGANZA! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page