Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Gas prices! R We walking now??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Gas prices! R We walking now?? Next Topic  

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  05:26:05 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
I got $10 worth of gas yesterday and I think it took about 10 seconds to put it in. I paid $3.45 a gallon!
The guy said he expected it up to $4 soon!!

Are you and I going to walk more? How shall we find ways to drive less. What are your ideas and plans to conserve gas?

"NEVER underestimate the power of a woman."
farmgirl #71 Linda in PA

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  05:52:06 AM  Show Profile
I really enjoy taking my daughters to school, but I might be letting the bus take them (and drop them off) a little more often!

And I'll go ahead and take this opportunity to express my aggravation with my husband who won't let me fill up my tank on the farm. I have to buy it in town.

My new blog! http://thecottonwife.wordpress.com/

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Edited by - Peanut on Feb 29 2008 05:53:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl1
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Robin
Douglasville GA
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  05:56:34 AM  Show Profile
It's ridiculous. My husband and I both have Jetta diesals. They get about 63 miles to the gallon. I fill up about twice a month. My husband drives more than me and fills up about three times a month. He wrecked his in January and we still haven't gotten it back yet. So he's been driving mine and I've had the little Nissan garden truck. A couple weeks ago I had problems with it and had to drive my Mom's Chevrolet truck. It cost me $58 to fill up and it hurt me so badly because I knew I would only be able to drive it through the weekend. My husband has talked in the past about making our own, but we don't have the time now with him in MBA school. I'm just glad that we don't have to fill up as much.

Farm Girl Sister #28
#1 prissy farmgirl.
Oh, I want a pink John Deere Tractor.
http://fonvillefarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  06:01:30 AM  Show Profile
Hubby and I will ride bikes from work

We each used to ride home and would ride during lunch just for exercise-----'till he got too fast for me

If we can't ride, thankfully we do work at the same place and have the same hours whew . My boss has been so good about that one.

I think more towns and cities need to start allocating some $$ for bike lanes.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  06:34:20 AM  Show Profile
I have to drive to work as I live 15 miles away and there is no public transportation. But we do live close to everything (within a m ile) and I plan on walking more. I am so lucky that the place I work buys two tanks of gas for me a month -- which lasts me a week. I'm going to see if I can make that stretch longer. It's ridiculous how much everything is going up - milk, eggs, bread now gas at $4 a gallon. But I still lots and lots of big SUVs on the road. And the president says we're not headed for a recession. I've lived through one and the signs are all there for another one.

Handmade Olive Oil Soap, Lotion Bars, and Prim Treasures http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

I'm A Rusty Chick!!!
PROUD FARMGIRL SISTER #100
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  06:36:35 AM  Show Profile
Gas is 3.19.9 here We have cut our trips to almost nothing, The groceries are goin up-up-up, and the news says any thing with wheat will sky rocket, I am sure glad we can and freeze a lot, also might be a good time to put in a order for MJS,

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  06:40:41 AM  Show Profile
It's awful! I drive 26 miles each way to work so I'm going through nearly two gallons a day (my car gets 25 mpg in the winter and summer when heat and air are on and 33 mgp in the spring and fall when I just use the vent.) My husband is not working right now and it's really tight...these gas prices are awful and I know it's going to get worse. It's $3.12 here right now. I would use public transportation since I live in Louisville but I work in a small town outside of Louisville and they don't run buses from there to here.... It makes it frustrating.

FARMGIRL SISTER #127
my Etsy shop: http://backwoodsjunction.etsy.com
The Catholic Wife: http://www.thecatholicwife.com

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9394 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9394 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  06:44:21 AM  Show Profile
Well, right before gas prices started going up we bought a Ford Expedition. $70 bucks or more to fill that thing. My husband just purchased me an Honda Accord. Much better on mileage and it takes about $38 dollars to fill. Now $38 not great but it's better than 70. I noticed it too that that it takes about 1 minute to reach ten dollars on the pump. pathetic. Why don't we start using some of our own resources instead of putting money in the pockets of the overseas countries? I live in the country so unless I really start getting into shape, walking anywhere or even riding a bike is pretty much out. We don't live close enough to anything. It would take me an hour to walk to the closest store and then I'd have to do it often cause how would I get anything home. Nah, those oil companies know they have us
'over a barrel' so to speak.

farmgirl sister #43

Kind hearts are gardens
Kind thoughts are roots
Kind words are blossoms
Kind deeds are Fruits

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  07:04:20 AM  Show Profile
I had to laugh (at the idiocy) of the president's press conference yesterday...a reporter asked him about the possibility of gasoline reaching $4.00 by April. He looked ABSOLUTELY dumbfounded and said, "$4.00? Huh. I didn't hear that...I know it's high..."

We paid $3.19 yesterday and usually only put about $15.00 in at a time, otherwise it's like $38.00 to fill up and that's a huge chunk out of our cash flow....we both ride into work together, and if he gets off work early, he just waits for me at a friend's cafe until I get off. Then we drive back home...It's certainly a struggle to make ends meet, and we talk about taking the bus in...just have to work out the logisitics of different schedules.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  07:08:06 AM  Show Profile
wow! Our gas is only 2.99! Hubby and I both work at the same school which is only 7 miles from our house! We only fill up about every 2 weeks.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  07:10:18 AM  Show Profile
It's weird. Our rises and falls really quickly....it's been about $3.19 for two weeks now, though. Typically, it's around $2.99, but literally overnight, it jacks up to $3.24 or something.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  07:15:33 AM  Show Profile
Ours is around $2.99 right now too.

My new blog! http://thecottonwife.wordpress.com/

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  07:16:07 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
buying in bulk and freezing more would cut down on trips to the store for me. I used to enjoy driving around just for fun (still do it at Halloween and Christmas decoration time) and I used to get lost alot! Just learning my way around town has saved gas..I am not lost as often.
:-P

farmgirl #71 Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  08:03:43 AM  Show Profile
I would love to walk more places. In fact, that's why my husband and I chose the house we bought 5 years ago. It was an easy walk to the grocery store, the post office, the dentist, and the library. For the first couple of years, we walked everywhere. But every year, more and more of the businesses/services have closed or moved out to the suburbs. And (suprise!) more and more homeowners have moved out, being replaced by absentee landlords and subsidized renters. Crime has gone up tremendously, and I can no longer walk around the neighborhood. I don't want to move out to the suburbs (and I can't afford to), but I don't really know what else to do. I might actually be closer to the services I need there. But of course, there would be no sidewalks or safe shoulders to walk on. I would really love it if rising gas prices influenced more people to move into my neighborhood and turn it back into the safe, friendly place it was until so recently.
Go to Top of Page

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  08:40:34 AM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
It has been horrible! I finally did something about our frequent trips to the store for this or that. Earlier this week, I did one full day of errands. I filled the gas tank because it's going up every other day. I went to the post office, bank and grocery store all in one trip. Then when I got to the grocery store, I grabbed two carts! I must have looked like a lunatic. If something was on the list, I bought two, especially if it was on sale. As I went along, I tried to think of anything we could possibly need in the next two weeks, and got that also. The whole thing took almost three hours, since I have been trying to go all organic. Reading labels and lugging the two carts around was a chore! The poor checker. She thought she was doing me a favor by opening her lane. That was before she saw the two full carts and the stack of reuseable grocery bags!
Anyway, I refuse to go to the store for at least another two weeks!

FarmGirl Sister #123

Crafty Bay FarmGirls Chapter

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  08:47:25 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
first I smile because I get such a kick out of your name chicken necker...LOL
then reading your post was funny...just the way your describe the 2 carts, etc.

farmgirl #71 Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  08:48:38 AM  Show Profile
My dh drives 180 miles round trip every day to the job he's on right now. It will be finishing today or tomorrow, but it actually is closer than the next job his company has, starting in a few weeks. He pretty much just took over my little car - a Mazda Protege - when the gas prices starting getting ridiculous and it now has 290,000 miles on it. Who knows how long it's going to last!! He fills the tank twice a week in the Protege. He drives a big 4 wheel drive pickup which only gets about 10 mpg but it's necessary to have a pickup when we're at the cabin and it's paid for, so we keep it. When we were looking for a house to buy last year, we really thought long and hard about the gas, but houses with the same room, in decent shape, closer to Seattle started at about $350,000 and we got this house for $155,000. $195,000 USED to buy a lot of gas!!! One thing we didn't factor in when we made the decision though, was how exhausted dh would be after the commute at night and how many hours he is spending away from home each day. He leaves at 4 am and doesn't get home at night until 8:30 or 9 some nights, depending on how many hours they work. Some nights, it's a 3 1/2 hour commute home. That's just too much for a 58 year old man, high gas prices or not.

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  10:14:26 AM  Show Profile
Our little town has bike lanes that well, stop directly into traffic. It's been a big mess here and constantly in the paper about them with people complaining.

Gas here jumps up and down like someone on a trampoline. The weirdest one was that one gas station was $2.98 while the other one right across the road was $3.15. We always joke and say "well theirs must be better because it costs more" because someone people are crazy enough to pay that much higher price. I remember when SuperAmerica would have the rewards cards to earn points based on $$ and now it is based on number of gallons.

I went from a truck that was lucky if it got 14 miles a gallon to a car that gets 34 miles a gallon, so I'm definitely not filling up as much. I've been grouping trips a lot more instead of running to the big town every chance I get and I've actually done more online buying than going to the store. I would rather pay shipping than fight traffic and waste gas money on my end.

~Jessica in Kentucky & Farmgirl Sisterhood #137~
Be sure to visit my blog & Crafty Clipart for some of my photographs:
http://bluegrassprincess.blogspot.com/
http://www.craftyclipart.com
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  10:45:53 AM  Show Profile
Gas here in Spokane is about $3.29. I am sooooo thankful that we bought our Toyota Prius Hybrid. Though we had to compromise on space, the savings is so worth it. Right now we are getting about 47 mpg and in the summer will get over 60. It was rated the best by consumer reports in all catagories . . . very few repairs, reliable, etc. We have only had it about 6 or 7 weeks and we love it. Have already put over 3200 miles on it!! But something truly needs to be done about gas prices. I am so in favor of the research for alternate fuel sources. If I could convince DH to move on to acreage, I would be awfully tempted to join our dear MaryJane in making my own fuel from mustard seed. So much is being learned on energy sources and there is even research for cars that will run on steam (kind of like old steam engine locomotives?) I can just see my boys stoking the fire in our car every morning! LOL! We have a 5th wheel trailer and love to go camping, but with gas prices, won't be going anywhere that requires us to go over a pass . . . we only get about 4 miles to the gallon pulling it with our truck over passes! Gas is supposed to go over $4.00 by summer, so it would cost us a dollar a mile! Yipes! I think we will stick to nearby lakes.

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  11:53:55 AM  Show Profile
Holy smokes! I can't belive how much you all are paying for gas. I paid $2.58 a gallon on Monday. Gas prices topped $3.00 a few times earlier this year but haven't been that high for a while. I'd walk or ride my bike in a minute if I worked closer to home; I work 40 miles away. Even at this price, I've made changes to my driving habits. I'm staying in our little town more and not driving into the city unless I absolutely have to, and I'm combining trips.
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  1:22:13 PM  Show Profile
I would LOVE to be able to walk to the places we go- but no such luck in a rural area. I'm 10 miles from the grocery store, library, WalMart... anything. I fill up about once a week- between 30 and 40 dollars. Sometimes I go to Spartanburg or Greenville,maybe once a month, which is about 100 miles round trip, to shop or visit family. I've started to pay attention to doing too many trips like that though, too.

Gas is $3.05 here.
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  2:00:03 PM  Show Profile
I'm lucky enough to live a block from where I work, but dh has to drive 40 miles or more for work and there is no public transportation up here. It really cuts into our budget every time the price goes up and now the governor wants to add another 38 cents tax on it!

We used to go down for groceries, lumber and other supplies every other weekend because all of those things are also 40 miles or more away. Now, dh gets everything after work on Fridays to save on gas. I've only been going down once every other month or so for those personal items that you just can't ask a man to get ;)

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  6:18:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I have to drive 10 miles out to work and 10 miles back in every day of the week, then 20 miles out and 20 miles back in for my Saturday job. It takes a toll on our gas bill, but I am most worried about the $$ it is going to cost to drive a moving truck across Idaho and Montana this summer :( Gas will probably be $4 by that time.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2008 :  07:37:05 AM  Show Profile
Well girls, you're getting a bargain right now. Here in Ontario gas is hovering around $1.035 per litre, which I worked out to be $4.01/gallon. It has definitely made a difference in our travels. I don't see my parents nearly as often as I used to. They are an hour drive away. Same for them, they just can't afford the gas, either.

I did buy a Chev Cobalt 2 years ago, which is pretty good on gas, but had to compromise on space in the back seat (the teenagers have to fold up back there!). My husband has a Silverado truck which he needs for the farm, but it's much worse on gas.

Not much we can do about it, really, except plan our trips to town out so they get everything done while there!

Lori
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2008 :  07:51:03 AM  Show Profile
Alee - when we moved our stuff to Montana a couple of years ago, we looked into renting a moving truck (U-haul) and not even counting the gas, it was outragously expensive!! I can't recall exactly, but I know it was over $1000 plus gas. It costs us a couple of hundred dollars for gas in our pickup everytime we go, so I know it would be almost double that. Our solution was to purchase a used utility trailer. It was homemade, really long (about 26' I think) and we had to build side boards for it, but we got everything on the trailer and in the back of the pickup and in the back of our son's Durango and didn't have to rent a truck. Plus, now we have a trailer to use around the place. We took that trailer to Billings and bought EVERYTHING we needed (included 9 big packages of insulation) to build the cabin. It was a good idea because the initial investment in the trailer wasn't lost like it would have been with a U-haul. I have to tell you though - everytime he pulls that big long trailer loaded to the gills behind our pickup, I hold my breath til we get where we're going!!

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2008 :  08:07:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sherri- If you had said this yesterday, I would have said my car can't tow- but now I don't even have a car! LOL Renting a U-Haul is going to be about $500 plus gas, so we are expecting to spend about $7-800 on just physically moving it to Billings. Ugh. I wish a train or something could take it for me! LOL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Gas prices! R We walking now?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page