Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 An idea about how to help these horses?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic An idea about how to help these horses? Next Topic  

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  12:43:03 AM  Show Profile
Hey guys,

Well, as of late, I'm getting emails about animal issues--no doubt due, in part, with my work with some rescues in the area--but also because of the massive property and farm foreclosures happening across the country. That's right folks, not only is this country losing it's great farms and farm way of life (don't get me started on that! That could be a whole nother thread! ), but often, some farm animal friends are the unfortunate ones caught in the middle. Even the rescues that are normally safe alternatives for these animals are inundated.

Recently, I received a forward email from the director of the local farm sanctuary which stated that SHE received an email from a woman who had to place 43(!) of her horses up for adoption since her farm was foreclosing. 35 are mini horses. If she can't find a home for them in a month, they get euthanized

You can read the entirety on my blog:

http://big-luv.blogspot.com/2008/02/horses-need-adoptionhelp.html

Anyone love horses and want to adopt one? I think they can get people to transport them to you.
Anyone got any good ideas, otherwise? The farm rescue is INUNDATED with other foreclosure rescues, and cannot take any more animals. ANY ideas?

ALSO: for those of you who were keeping up on the horse slaughter issue, there is a rally in Washington DC on March 4 and 5th...
http://big-luv.blogspot.com/2008/02/help-horses.html

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com
www.pumpkinpatchparlor.etsy.com

And Blogs:
agriculture: www.bigtownfarmer.blogspot.com
art: www.queenofcrows.blogspot.com
animals: www.big-luv.blogspot.com

artbysue
True Blue Farmgirl

218 Posts

Sue
Kidron Ohio
USA
218 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  07:07:18 AM  Show Profile
Oh what a shame! I know often the rescues work with limited funds too because they must rely on donations so it is a tough situation all the way around. Wish people wouldn't breed indiscriminately....

What area are the horses in?

artist, equine portraits, animal art, farms, barns, Amish art, fiber animal art
www.suesteiner.com www.amish-art.com
www.amulti-coloredlife.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  08:00:44 AM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
How can I get additional info on adopting the horses? I don't know if I could do it myself, but my mother has a friend that rescues minitures and also llamas. She may be able to take one or some. Unfortunately, she's in North Carolina. But we might be able to work something out.

FarmGirl Sister #123

Crafty Bay FarmGirls Chapter

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  09:52:08 AM  Show Profile
Hi Guys, thanks for the interest! The animals are in Upstate New York, from what I understand. I am not sure what the original owner's contact info is...but you can email Kathy Stevens of Catskill Animal Sanctuary and just say you heard it from Zan or read her blog or something. I think the point is that they want to find anyone who might take the horses...maybe transport can be arranged. Kathy's email is: kathy@blindhorsesings.com

Just let her know of your interest, I am sure they will all be very relieved! Thanks

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com

And Blogs:
Go to Top of Page

artbysue
True Blue Farmgirl

218 Posts

Sue
Kidron Ohio
USA
218 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  2:52:57 PM  Show Profile
Do you know if she has a mini donkey?

artist, equine portraits, animal art, farms, barns, Amish art, fiber animal art
www.suesteiner.com www.amish-art.com
www.amulti-coloredlife.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  3:19:02 PM  Show Profile
I just sent you a message, Zan. My email has been wonky lately- can't connect to server a lot, so I'll keep checking this post if I can't get email.

http://plumcreekmama.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  3:29:30 PM  Show Profile
Heyas Heather, I just emailed you back...thank you! I think, though, you have to be specific with what you with these pets. I think this lady is looking to place the animals as pets, and not breeding animals (not sure if that's what some of you might be looking for, but I thought to throw it out there) because I think the prevailing thought is....we don't want MORE animals, we need to find homes for the extras...so these animals really sort of need to be pets....please let me know. I'll alert Kathy about the thread!

Sue...alas, I think it's really only horses. I'll double check though!

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com

And Blogs:
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  4:50:38 PM  Show Profile
Would any of the minis happen to be broke to ride or drive?

http://plumcreekmama.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  6:22:24 PM  Show Profile
Hey guys, yikes, ok, I probably got ahead of myself. I, just heard back from Kathy Stevens, there is a change and I believe the animals actually go under their adoption policies, which means you would actually have to sign up to adopt them :)

Here is what Kathy wrote back in her email:

Catskill Animal Sanctuary currently has over 150 delightful farm animals from 12 different species (cows, goats, horses, donkeys, mules, chickens, turkeys, ducks, sheep, farm pigs, potbellied pigs, rabbits) available for adoption as pets only to exceptional homes.

Adoption criteria include:

1. adopters must live within 90 miles of Saugerties, NY
2. adopter must reside full-time at his/her residence
3. space and shelter requirements vary by species, but require that the animal have ample room to run, graze, relax, and be protected from extreme weather and predators (example: minimum acreage requirement for cows and horses is 1 acre per animal.)
4. adoption is for the life of the animal only. Under no circumstances may animal be sold, given away, auctioned, or bartered. If the adopter can no longer provide a loving home for her animal, the animal must be returned to Catskill Animal Sanctuary
5. We prefer homes experienced with the personalities, needs, and health issues of the various species. While we certainly make exceptions, in general we are reluctant to adopt animals to "first timers."
6. For those "mary janers" who meet the above criteria, we currently have over 20 horses available for adoption. Most are older and suitable only as companions; however, we do have eight horses suitable for riding (with some further training). We also have some delightful rabbits, a goat to die for, a family of cows who'd love to live in your house...and so on.

Regarding Zan's post about the large horse rescue: details will take some weeks to coordinate, but for those who meet ALL the above criteria (including the distance requirement) and would like to be on the list, we welcome your adoption application at http://www.casanctuary.org

~~~Sorry to cause a stir, ladies, I think I just read the post wrong and thought that the woman in question was not affiliated with CAS, but if anyone is happy or interested in a farm friend, this may be a good option.

Sorry again if there was confusion :(

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com

And Blogs:
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic An idea about how to help these horses? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page