Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Did anyone see Oprah yesterday?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Did anyone see Oprah yesterday? Next Topic
Page: of 2

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  9:24:38 PM  Show Profile
" I couldn't help but think the diving Dr. will be on one of oprah's "i'm a hoarder," show sometime in the future. I must admit, i would rather dumpster dive than be a stripper."

Too funny Patricia! When you put it that way...

And Brenda...my signature line is "Oh my gosh did you SEE THAT!? PULL OVER!" I prefer the term culling refuse, or refuse fancier. OK, I'm a trash picker...

I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance even if I'm the only one...

http://www.kattywhompus.etsy.com

Edited by - abbasgurl on Feb 29 2008 9:33:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

QueenofQuiteAlot
True Blue Farmgirl

865 Posts

Dalyn
Milk 'n Honey Ranch Central, WA
USA
865 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  9:33:22 PM  Show Profile
Nasty. Plant a garden and save $$ that way-
bleh.

Dalyn
Muckboots 'N Aprons Chapter
~Hick Chicks Soap Barn~
www.hickchickssoapbarn.com
Homespun Raw Goat Milk Soaps 'n More

http://muckbootsnaprons.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2008 :  12:58:21 AM  Show Profile
Personally, I think it's pretty disgusting unless you're starving and have no choice. Even if the packages are sealed, the germs inside those dumpsters are going to be on the package and then when you open the package wouldn't the germs then be transferred to the food inside? At the very least on your hands. ICK!

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2008 :  06:33:50 AM  Show Profile
I rinse packages from the grocery store, esp. meat, because I used to work at one, It would be hard to eat out of a dumpster for sure. All of this dumster talk reminds me of when I worked a flower cart in downtown Portalnd, in front of the ODS building. There was a homeless guy who would walk by about 10am everyday. Everyday I would offer him my apple, sandwich, etc. He would always say no, and pick throught the trashcan instead. So I decided to satart leaving the food on the edge of the trash can for him, he took it. Trash pickers...quit stealing from bums! Just Kidding.

Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

22shortie
True Blue Farmgirl

329 Posts

rebekah
sulphur la
USA
329 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2008 :  2:36:36 PM  Show Profile
This is me bowing to you Alee! What an amazing grocery list. Half the time I am lucky if i even MAKE a list or have any idea what i should buy. I did better with that before I had Abby. More time on my hands then i guess. My only problem with buying in bulk is that #1 IS it less expensive in the end? you know, you are still buying the same amount of stuff, just you are buying it all at once so you dont spend it each month. So is bulk (like SAMs stuff) cheaper in the end or just more convenient? #2 do you eat alot of repeat meals since you buy buy bulk pasta, bulk sauce, meat etc etc??? I am learning. I just have a hard time catching on and making it happen rightnow you know...

quote:
Originally posted by Alee

Here is an example of a month's worth of groceries for our house, This month was July of 2007 and Doug bought a rib roast that was $25 and we still only spend $180.

Pita Bread
Hamburger Bun
5 Large cans of Tomato Sauce
A gallon of vinegar
Head of Lettuce
Red Bell Pepper
Green Bell Pepper
2 big packs of Tyson Chicken Thighs
2 big packs of Tyson Chicken legs
Half gallon of Whole milk
Small package of frozen peas
Corn Tortillas
Small package of forzen brocolli
2 cans of Cream of Mushroom Soup
10 lbs of Flour
Two packages of white gravy
One package of italian dressing mix
Bulk Pizza Dough Mix
Bulk Cheese Ravioli
4 White Onions
Bulk Italian Seasoning
Bulk Blueberry muffin mix
1 Cream Cheese
9lbs of bananas
5# of ground turkey
Tub of Nancy's Vanilla Yogurt
Cucumber
frozen salmon fillet
10# ground beef
tzatziki sauce
refried beans
unsalted butter
sour cream
celary
6 packets of yeast
4 tomatos
cooking oil
bulk chicken base
garlic
cinnamon
4 onions
worchestershire sauce
4 packages lunch meat
4 ears of corn
beef tenderloin *ouch!!*
10# potatos
top round roast (will make 2)
Nufatel cream cheese
tomato paste
green cabbage
ketchup
Dog food
ricotta cheese
coconut milk
refried beans
otter pops

We spent *drum roll please* $180.67!!! Now the challenge is to not have to return to the market for the whole month!!! :)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com

Check out my latest projects and all the news from my chaotic little world!

http://pumpkinseed-unscripted.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2008 :  3:03:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Buying in bulk really is much less expensive...if you do it right. You have to be familiar with the prices in your area before you go to Costco or Sam's Club. Also, just because it is a good deal- don't go buying those fancy pre-packaged meals. If you wouldn't buy it at your normal store- it probably isn't a good deal (because you are spending money just because it's on sale).

We do repeat the same types of meals, but we find ways to vary them a lot. Some of the meals that we like to do are:

Spaghetti
Meatloaf
Taco nights
Chicken Alfredo
Chicken or beef stir-fry with lots of veggies
Breakfast for dinner (Eggs, toast)
Cheese and Crackers (For those late nights when you don't have much time to do anything for dinner)
Chicken Catchatori
Hamburgers
Pork Chops w/ Applesauce
Pot Roast
Beef or chicken stew
Country fried chicken with biscuits
Lentils and Rice made with either chicken or vege broth
Black Bean Soup from MJ's
Mac and Cheese
California Rolls
Salmon and Rice
Cabbage Burgers
Turkey dinner
Goulash

All of these can be made on a budget and are yummy :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8

Edited by - Alee on Mar 01 2008 3:07:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2008 :  2:52:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I forgot to mention supreme baked potatoes as a good meal. Baked potatoes with scrambled hamburger, cheese, sour cream, and any other toppings you like! Yum :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2008 :  11:00:00 PM  Show Profile
No, I didn't see the show. I think it perfectly fine for these people to eat out of dumpsters. They are either trying to get attention or are mentally ill. I think it's a bit of both..Now...what I'd like to know is how these six figure income producers are helping the homeless and other people that don't have what they need to eat everyday. What are they doing with their money that they obviously have a problem with???

I have known a person with great financial means live like they were on their last pennies when in fact they had almost a million dollars invested and could touch the income anyway they needed to but NO..they preferred to poor mouth and live in a "doomsday mentality"...it was very scary to watch and very sad. And what made it even worse was that they were consumed with the spirit of GREED.

Our country is full of homeless folks and the stats say that better than 40% are suffering from mental illness. They are digging everywhere out of necessity to feed themselves.

Back to these people on the show..if these people prefer to get what they can for free in life then they need to donate their incomes to folks that are too weak mentally and physically to search for leftover food.

If they can't enjoy their prosperity they need to give it to those that will!

Steph

Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2008 :  07:48:40 AM  Show Profile
Great point Stephanie!!

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2008 :  11:57:35 AM  Show Profile
Stephanie, don't be so quick to judge the dumpster diving couple. I'm not an Oprah watcher normally, but I did happen to be home sick that day and saw the show. They said that they felt strongly about waste as a social justice issue, that it was wrong for the US to throw so much away when others in the world had so little. The husband said this concern grew out of their Christian faith. They were using the money they saved to pay down their debt faster (you don't get to be a doctor without huge student loans), and I believe they also mentioned contributions to charitable organizations. I think their motives are good and they seemed like pleasant, normal people.

I have to say, I have no stomach for dumpster diving when it comes to food. But the thing I wonder when I see all this fregan stuff (it's been in the media a lot lately) is: when do these people find the time? I barely have time in my schedule to make one trip to the grocery store and I have to have my meals planned fairly carefully to make sure I'm pickin up the right ingredients.
Go to Top of Page

Patsy
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Illinois
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2008 :  09:41:02 AM  Show Profile
When I was in college, I worked at Kentucky Fried Chicken on the night shift. We had tons and I mean tons of chicken leftover. But due to health laws, we had to either eat what we wanted there or throw it out. I cried the first time I had to throw out that perfectly good chicken, rolls, cole slaw, potatoes, gravy, etc. I am sure alot of other places have the same laws.

May God bless those who love the soil,

Patsy

Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2008 :  10:34:13 AM  Show Profile
I wouldn't eat food from a dumpster but I have picked up other treasures that I have found in the garbage. I found adorable wooden chairs for children, a ladder that my husband constantly uses, a bench for our front porch, etc. We found a window fan in the dumpster when we lived in an apartment and it finally just died - so that means we got seven years of use out of something that would have otherwise gone to the landfill. There is way too much waste and I say that if you see something that you can use on the curb than take it and don't feel ashamed - you are saving more waste going into the landfill.
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Did anyone see Oprah yesterday? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page