Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Estate Sales and Dressmakers Forms...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Estate Sales and Dressmakers Forms... Next Topic
Page: of 2

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2008 :  10:03:32 PM  Show Profile
I just had to tell my farmgirls about the excitement I had yesterday!
Well...I have been looking for (obsessing over) a dressmakers form ever since Tasha showed photos of hers, and we suggested names etc... (Thanks a lot Tasha ). Anyway, I was hoping to find a vintage form because, well...I like old things best.
I was farting around with craigslist, a first for me, and saw an add for an estate sale in the next town. It mentioned a dressmakers form with an old wedding dress included. You had to email or call to schedule an appointment. I emailed the person, got an address & planned to go. I almost stayed home because I was sort of chicken about visiting a stranger's house alone. I imagined all sorts of serial killer/ abduction scenerios...OK, I know. I set off anyway, in a snowstorm, leaving the info about where I was going on the kitchen table...you know "in case" LOL.
When I got to the address, I couldn't believe which house I was parked in front of...One of about six HUGE victorian mansions that I have ALWAYS wanted to peek inside! I have driven by probably 100's of times and wished that SOMEHOW I could be invited in. Well yesterday I WAS!
The owners could not have been more gracious and allowed me to wander the rooms looking at everything, more than once. Four stories from the conservatory to the turret room at the top (I even stood in the turret & looked out over the town!)! Inlaid wood and tile floors, deep wide woodwork, window seats, original bathrooms, light fixtures, stained glass, fireplaces in every room. Victorian furniture, huge ornate and heavy...pieces 10 and 12 foot high, a dining room that seated 30, an open stairway-two landings to the top, a library with built-ins and ROWS upon ROWS of books! The "living room" was the size of a small ballroom. There were secret rooms, back stairways, maids quarters and I was told even a ghost. Even the original wash (laundry) room was in the basement with rows of old metal tubs along the walls. So neat! The owners had added one modern room...a media room in the basement. Pretty swanky too.

I came home with wonderful treasures and my head swimming with images of the grande old place. I enjoyed my "visit" there so very much! Oh, and I did buy the lovely dress form and dress! The form is turn of the century with the figure to match! A tiny waist & "bustle bootie". The dress, same era, in excellent condition and STUNNING was included! I am going to gently launder the dress and then I can't wait to photgraph "her" for you to see! She will be my new model for vintage clothing and aprons on Etsy. I must think of a name for her too, mustn't I?

Oh my goodness...such an adventure and I am sooooooooo happy I went! Thanks for indulging me!
Rhonda

I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance even if I'm the only one...

http://www.kattywhompus.etsy.com

Edited by - abbasgurl on Feb 26 2008 10:07:21 PM

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2008 :  11:31:02 PM  Show Profile
What a great find!

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2008 :  06:02:12 AM  Show Profile
Yes, great finds BUT we need pictures NOW!! And a picture of the Victorian Mansion. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2008 :  07:11:18 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
YES listen to Marybeth PICTURES PLEAAAASE:)

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."
http://liggygirl.blogspot.com/
http://liggygirlslonggreen.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2008 :  09:05:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
I'm with the crew...POST PICTURES! I can hardly wait to see what you got. Oh boy, don't I wish I'd been there with you!

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom"
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2008 :  10:18:24 AM  Show Profile
You know I never thought to take a camera with me... what a dunder head I am sometimes! I WISH I'd had one to take pictures of the inside of house. I will go back & take outside photos, but I'm afraid that's all. I don't think the sellers will be back anytime soon. The house has been sitting there, full of pretties for 3 years! They just put it on the market and it SOLD already!

A funny side note. This home was built by the first County Sheriff. After Dillinger escaped from the county jail he wasn't re-elected to office. The house was his way of thumbing his nose at everyone to show them he was still on top! And from the turret, believe me he was! If you stand up there you can see the old courthouse and the jail through the trees. I'm sure in his day it he had a birds eye view!

I'm supposed to go to there Friday, I'll see if I can take some photos. I DO want to get the dress washed before I photograph it. It is pretty dusty as it has been displayed on the dressmakers form since they closed the house. Can you say A-a-a-a-chooooo!?

I think I learned my lesson...I am putting the camera in my purse!
Rhonda

I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance even if I'm the only one...

Edited by - abbasgurl on Feb 28 2008 11:36:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

theoanne
True Blue Farmgirl

282 Posts

teddie
CARROLLTON GA
282 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2008 :  6:10:37 PM  Show Profile
Rhonda,
How exciting! That place must have been Huge!!! More like a mansion. Can't wait to see the pics of the house,but am really looking forward to seeing the dressform.

TEDDIE

Too blessed to be stressed!
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2008 :  6:30:41 PM  Show Profile

Wow, how lucky can one be! To find such tresures and at an old mansion too. Hmmm, any clues why the wedding dress has been on the dress form for ???? years? Sounds like a good story to be told. For the owners to allow you to look in all the rooms, what a bonus.
I have an old dress form, from when women were "buxom". Covered with a heavy fabric, almost like canvas as I recall, with steel frame and on rollers. She's at my daughters house, might have to come back here some day. Her cats have scratched the fabric covering, so she would have to keep a dress on. I used to have her in the corner of the living room with a fur coat and fancy hat. Her name is Matilda, it just seemed to go with her "shape". Hope you can get photos to share, so exciting.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2008 :  05:46:18 AM  Show Profile
Wow! That is so exciting! That would be my 'perfect'day. That is so nice that the owners allowed you to see all the rooms, especially since it's a home you've always passed by and wondered about. You have to post pictures of your 'finds'! Would love to see them!

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main
Go to Top of Page

EllynAnne
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

EllynAnne
Pueblo CO
108 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2008 :  5:13:40 PM  Show Profile
I was with you from the moment you considered the possibility the dress form was a lure, so you left a note on the table...in case you were never heard from again...and then drove off despite the niggle.

I was once in the basement of a very dark shop, all alone and going through boxes of albums. At the point I discovered an Elvis album (the record this incredible blue color), it occurred to me: No one knows where I am. And with that, I shrugged and continued flipping through albums one by one.

You and I brought home treasures, thank goodness. I'd look just awful on a milk carton.

ea
Tie One On...an apron, of course!

Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2008 :  7:21:12 PM  Show Profile
EllynAnne,
Too funny! I went into a shop that is in the basement of a very scary tatoo parlor here in Spokane. I was finding lots of great junk too, but kept thinking about the creepy guy upstairs . . . but the lure of the antiques somehow overpowered this frightening looking biker dude! LOL!

I am so happy for you, Rhonda to have found your dressmaker's form and at such a wonderful historic place! I just found one that was used as a store display for the Bon Marche many decades ago. It has cherry legs and a cherry "neck". She resides in my shop sporting necklaces. Quite a regal headless lady if I do say so myself. I paid $35.00, but know it was worth much more. So fun! Please post pics of the mansion if you are able to go back and take more! I love historic homes!

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2008 :  8:04:47 PM  Show Profile
Ok Brenda,
pick a date for junktiquing, you & I will "Tag team it" that way we will eachknow where other is! lol!
Oh & "Riiight" you were at the Tattoo parlor for the antiques! wink wink!
hugz,

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com
www.katmom44.blinkz.com
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2008 :  11:54:40 PM  Show Profile
Well...I spent the afternoon washing & pressing "the dress". I did find a few small flaws and finally gave up pressing it "perfectly", as it is very delicate and see through thin. I am wondering if this was indeed a wedding dress or just a nice special occassion dress? Maybe someone can tell me when they see the photos. I cannot imagine wearing this dress for more than two minutes without it becoming a pile a wrinkles. It was hard to keep it from wrinkling AS I was ironing! Anyway, I spent the evening dressing my newfound friend and taking her photo. She was surprisingly cooperative!

Tomorrow is licence plate renewal in the county seat. I am going to drive over and take photos of the home I visited and a few others in that neighborhood. There are some beauties. I will try to get photos up in the next few days.

EllynAnne, You sound like a brave girl. We could have great adventures together.

Brenda, your "gal" sounds lovely! I had to look up Bon Marche...a regional department store perhaps? I'd love to see photos of your form too...the cherry must be beautiful. I saw some custom forms on ebay that were incredible. Did you know they even have fabric "slipcovers" for these forms so you can change the color/style?

I have been in a lot of strange places digging through heaven only knows what. I occassionaly think "should I be doing this?", but then I see a scrap of velvet poking out of an old carton and the thought passes.

Pictures soon!

Rhonda

Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  06:25:19 AM  Show Profile
Pictures soon? Not fair! Soon is not soon enough. MB

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9394 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9394 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  06:59:33 AM  Show Profile
Rhonda,
A girl after my own heart. I would have passed out as soon as I was invited in. Or at least hyper ventilated at the thought of being able to look around. How did you resist looking through everything? I don't think I'd made it to the turret as I don't like heights and if I did go up I definitely would not have looked out the window.
Well, I got my dress form off ebay. It is pretty old and not the best looking thing but it works. I do have a little trouble adjusting her as she has bolts and wingnuts that have to be tightened and loosened while holding it up in place. If I loosen them the metal pole type things slide and some times to easily. Looking forward to seeing those pictures!

farmgirl sister #43

Kind hearts are gardens
Kind thoughts are roots
Kind words are blossoms
Kind deeds are Fruits

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  08:58:43 AM  Show Profile
Can't wait for the pics!

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

idcityrose
True Blue Farmgirl

202 Posts

Rose
Idaho City Idaho
USA
202 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  09:12:06 AM  Show Profile
I am so jealous. I have wanted an antique dress form for so many years, and I have seen them at sales but the prices are way beyond my budget (face it, most everything is beyond my budget!) but I am excited for you to have found yours.
I will keep looking, who knows, anything can happen.
We don't have any houses at all like that here in Idaho City and the closed we have in Boise (which is an 80 mile round trip from here) is Warm Springs Avenue and Harrison Blvd. Warm Springs are mansions, all heated with natural hot water that runs underground, but few Victorian. What a great thing to happen to you! Way to Go!
idcityrose
P.S. I would love to see pictures and your Estsy shop is so well done with wonderful things. Just how I would like to have one set up when I get to that point.

We are never alone in the forest of Sisters! We "Mountain Farmgirls" are outstanding in our field!
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  8:51:53 PM  Show Profile
Oh Rose, you are so right, anything CAN happen! I hope you find the dress up friend of your dreams very soon! I have looked for a while, forms eluding me here & there...just beyond reach-or budget! I only recently made it a MISSION to find one. The little town I grew up in is the "country cousin" to the county seat. Only a few big old houses in our town, all of the really grand ones are in the next town. I wanted to thank you for your very kind words about my etsy site. I am enjoying it immensely. I encourage you to set up a shop-you'll find it very simple to use!

Now ladies...I did not get to take photos of the grande homes today as I was at the BMV alllll afternoon getting my licence plates renewed. I WILL go and do so, perhaps Sunday. (Note to self: Do not wait until the last day to renew plates.) In the mean time...

For those who have been waiting so patiently... (ahem...MaryBeth, LOL)

PICTURES!!!

Chemise & a graceful "neck"

A buxom Gal!

The ladies pocketwatch was a gift from my Mom...I have the chain pinned up in this photo but it is long enought to reach my hips-and be tucked into a dress pocket. My Momma's pretty good to me!

Look at all those tiny pintucks!

And for good measure...as long as we are looking at pretty dresses. This hangs in my studio for "inspiration", and in case I get asked to Prom.

Sure hope that worked! Enjoy!
Rhonda

Edited by - abbasgurl on Feb 29 2008 9:21:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  8:53:22 PM  Show Profile
Well look at that...I did it!

Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  11:13:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
Oh my gosh the dress is beautiful! You did an amazing job of cleaning it up! And the prom dress is stunning as well. Worth the wait! Thank you so much for posting the pics. They really are exceptional.

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom"
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  11:39:57 PM  Show Profile
Isn't it lovely? I can't imagine WEARING it...so delicate! I tried to press it well but it wrinkled at a touch. There is a bit of yellowing on the chemise, luckily it's underneath. I have another similar dress, put away for years. I want to get it out & see how she looks in it. Kind of like my "Barbie" doll days! My goodness, I dearly loved dressing her in all those outfits! Thanks for looking!
Rhonda

Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2008 :  05:48:39 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
it is more of a luchen/tea/lawn party/sunday bestdress not a wedding dress.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
Farmgirl Sister #115
my bloghttp://sunshinescreations.vintagethreads.com/
my web store http://vintagethreads.com/

Edited by - sunshine on Mar 01 2008 05:49:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2008 :  05:49:21 AM  Show Profile
So beautiful and such delicate work. Well worth the wait. THANK YOU, Rhonda. I just love the dress and of course the dress form is great. I'd say you did real fine. Do you think they will have any more sales at the estate? Did everything go? I would skedaddle right on back. MB

Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2008 :  07:24:50 AM  Show Profile
It's just great! You are a lucky girl! I don't know about wedding dress, they did get married in hust about ANY pretty dress they had. I don't think they were always "wedding" dresses that we think of today.

Bon Marche is a dept store, they have one in Boise, Idaho. Now it is just called the Bon.

You guys made me laugh talking about weird situations and how creepy it can be when you discover that you are very alone and no one knows where you are. I was once in a old antique shop in Hazen Nevada, snooping around in the back rooms of a warehouse when I decided it was just too much for me and I left. I kept thinking about the yucky guy on Silence of the lambs!
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9394 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9394 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2008 :  3:59:03 PM  Show Profile
You girls aren't paranoid are you? That dress is beautiful. Don't know if it's wedding or not but like Cindy said they didn't always get married in dresses like we think of now. Just a wonderful find and I too would scoot back there and see if they have anything left, Mary Beth.

farmgirl sister #43

Kind hearts are gardens
Kind thoughts are roots
Kind words are blossoms
Kind deeds are Fruits

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2008 :  5:34:20 PM  Show Profile
Great pictures Rhonda! What a find you got there. Will be watching for pictures of the house. Will there still be things to buy when you go back? You gotta wonder what other dresses have draped that form. Did you name her yet?
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Estate Sales and Dressmakers Forms... Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page