Page: of 2

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2008 :  07:08:29 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
I love this topic...soooo funny!! :-D

May we always be in thankful contemplation of God who presides over us all.
Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous
farmgirl #71 Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2008 :  07:18:34 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
I still like the one about dragons the best....LOL
LOL :-D

May we always be in thankful contemplation of God who presides over us all.
Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous
farmgirl #71 Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

LunaTheFarmLady
True Blue Farmgirl

448 Posts

Luna
Rineyville KY
USA
448 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2008 :  09:31:56 AM  Show Profile
Hoot hoot and hoot! It gets better and better! True life is funnier than just about anything else. Keep it coming.

Luna
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2008 :  10:53:27 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I went to an over the top one where the "bride" wanted to be a princess...but it was WAY over done!! Her "colors" were lavendar and light blue. It was everywhere and everyone was required to wear something with the color in it. It looked like Easter has thrown up all over the place..The bride had a laced up back to her over the top dress and lets just say, her girls needed some support..

They had so many "traditions" and "moments" that it was nauseating and she was a complete control freak. Someone requested a song and she freaked out on the DJ and made him stop since it was not on the playlist.. I mean, it's a wedding, who doesn't do the tacky dances?

Everytime the bride and groom kissed, it was x-rated and gradually getting worse as the night and alcohol went on.

ICKY!!!

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2008 :  10:57:20 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
HAHAH Heather I can just picture that.....

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."
http://liggygirl.blogspot.com/
http://liggygirlslonggreen.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2008 :  10:58:18 AM  Show Profile
Oh, my word...Kathie, that is the funniest!! Especially the part about the pastor in the wheelchair. Really, you should make a movie of your wedding. I would pay to see it! I've been laffing my tushie off since yesterday when I started reading all this...

Winona :-)

When you lose, don't lose the lesson!!

Go to Top of Page

Meg
Moderator/Farmgirl True

974 Posts

Meg
Idaho
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2008 :  11:33:34 AM  Show Profile
Kathie, I can just picture you two now. Do you have pictures?

A college roommate of my hubby's wedding: I had never met him and Lucas hadn't seen him in a couple of years but we appreciated the invite and thought it would be great to see his old buddies. Well, we pulled up the address and the wedding was happening early literally in the front yard. So, as we were unloading the car the bride was walking down the aisle. The ceremony was short and sweet. After, as we were going through the receiving line, Lucas introduced me to the mother of the groom and inquired about the darling newborn she was holding. OH, it was all coming together. Shotgun! THEN, the good part...the reception began. Music, there was none. But Keg stands, has anyone ever even seen someone do this...in a wedding dress?!? We were shocked. And to top it off, the maid of honor's speech: "Kappie (the bride) has been with a lot of guys, but she really likes Joe (the groom)". Been with?!? Poor Joe! Oh, that was years ago and we still joke about that one liner.

MaryJane's daughter,

Meg
megan@maryjanesfarm.org
Go to Top of Page

theoanne
True Blue Farmgirl

282 Posts

teddie
CARROLLTON GA
282 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2008 :  6:02:56 PM  Show Profile
These stories are great! The Dragons were...shall we say....interesting. However I'm wondering how they got away with that in a Lutheran church. must have been a very progressive pastor. :)
The one over the gopher holes was pretty funny that got me giggling. I could definetly picture this and it tickled me. .....BUT..... Kathie... yours was the BEST. I was wiping tears from my eyes. DH came home from work and thought I had lost it. You are such a hoot! Love ya. You really need to do stand up.

TEDDIE

Too blessed to be stressed!
Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2008 :  06:17:40 AM  Show Profile
Jessie.. I can't get over That wedding you went to Girl!
But you really have to give it to her.. If nothing else.. She Had a Plan .. She WAS determined.. I mean really.. regardless what ANYONE else thought, felt or wanted.. Or even KNEW was better.. SHE KNEW WHAT SHE WANTED!! Yes.. In her own little narrow mind of course..
But.. it was there Somewhere!!

As for My wedding..? Photo's? Your kidding right? Like with a Profesional Photographer?
You think this was a day our Mothers actually were wanting to remember?
I'm sure the two of them were hoping it would be over with as quik as it started!
Ok.. well... I DO actually have a Handfull of Polaroids..
One of us standing with the Minister.. a couple with Hubby & I together..Me & my Psycho Dad & that crazy get up of his.. & me With my youngets brother I think.. Then several back at the apartment.. So.. maybe I can figure out how to scan them & post them.. You can see what a complete Dork i was at 16 in my Dorothy Hamill Hair cut!

When my Husbands Brother who is 12 years younger then my husband got married about 10 years ago we went.. the wedding was a nice sweet little wedding.. Catholic.. so there was a lot of standing.. sit down.. kneel.. sit down.. stand again.. You get the idea.. But it was a very pretty church.. But.. aside from the wedding party.. & the GROOMS side of the Family..(US..) No one else was dressed up.. AT ALL!.. I mean.. We were all dressed up some what.. after all..
Wasn't this the way it's done..? You dress up a bit for the wedding.. then you can relax somewhat for the reception..? So heading back for the recption alot of 'us' NON Italians.. either wore what we had to the wedding.. or went a bit more casule..

Well.. talk about about feeling awkward..
When we arrived at the reception.... Whhhhooooooww..
The Bride's Family had all gone home & Dressed to the Nine's Girls!!
I mean THEY were DRESSED UP!! EVENING ATTIRE!!
Like Ball Gowns!! It was the Craziest thing I had ever seen!
& they had multiplied too!
There were 50 times the people at the reception then were at the wedding..
I think every family member that was related to them in Italy had come to the wedding..
Because half of them didn't speak English.. Really an odd turn about..
In OUR Family.. we always Dress for the wedding.. Then you can relax & let your hair down a bit for the wedding..(That is of course if your Family APPROVES of Your Wedding to begin with!)
Just funny to see how another family does things different..

Like the Dragon's I suppose!!!!

Kathie.. Farm Girl Sister #29

"In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself"..

Edited by - Kathie on Feb 28 2008 06:18:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2008 :  07:09:15 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
WOW, Meg that one, shotgun interesting.....you just might be a .... I know I know I'm bad sorry. I couldn't resist. Well its fun to laugh and gawk in amazement hehe. Thanks girls!

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."
http://liggygirl.blogspot.com/
http://liggygirlslonggreen.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2008 :  07:29:31 AM  Show Profile
Dressing down for weddings is a real trend we're seeing at the Club these days. We have a lot of wedding guests violating the Club's dress code (which isn't very strict - just no shorts or jeans). Of course, there's not much we can do about it other than frown at them.

We've also got a lot of brides committing what I think is the cardinal sin of wedding planning...A-lists and B-lists. They invite the people they really want at the reception, and then if they get a regret, they invite someone from the B-list to take the A-lister's place. We've even had brides who want to serve a fancy entree to part of the guests and something cheaper to the rest, or an open bar for some guests and beer and wine only for the rest. (We can't accomodate those types of requests anyway because the logistics of serving such an event.)

Equally bad, people are leaving family members off the list because they say they can't afford to invite them. Then, I'm stuck explaining to Aunt Fran and Uncle Joe when they call to ask why they didn't receive the invitation that the rest of the family did that the bride would have loved to have them, but unfortunately "she is only inviting close family and friends." I think you should count up the people you want to attend and plan your reception accordingly. If you have a big family and can't afford to feed them all a plated meal, then you need to balance what you want with what your family needs and go with something simpler, like a buffet or even just punch and cake. I have big family, and in the end I had to cut out all but my best-best friends to accomodate them all in the church hall. My cousin did it the opposite way - she invited friends and cut out family that she wasn't especially close to - and six years later feelings are still hurt.
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2008 :  11:53:40 AM  Show Profile
The only comment I can come up with at this time is ... the bride found a home-based caterer - not a bad idea, since it was a casual, outdoor reception, in the "garden" area of the little church where she was married. The food was snack-y and nothing to write home about, and one item stood out in memory - celery stuffed with a mixture of peanut butter and chopped dill pickles - and NO, the bride was not pregnant! I will tell you, I spent a decent amount of time with that item, trying to determine just what in the world it was, and that is what I came up with, in consultation with some of the other guests. I have NEVER heard of that combination and while not being out and out "spit it out of your mouth" repulsive, it was just strange and had no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Other than that tidbit, I have been lucky in that I haven't been to any really tacky weddings. But some of these...boy! LMAO!!!

We come from the earth, we go back to the earth, and in between, we garden!
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2008 :  12:01:55 PM  Show Profile
I can't wait to try peanutbutter relish at my garden party.

Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2008 :  12:33:24 PM  Show Profile
Kathie, my dear, you take the wedding cake (Tacky last-minute grocery store one at that! LOL!) But the fact that you can now laugh at it and look back mostly fondly at it, shows what a truly strong woman you are. Fast forward 31 years . . . have you married off any of your own children? I am guessing if so, it was a bit better planned and didn't involve used hankies and KFC! What a hoot!

Hugs & Blessings,

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2008 :  1:14:21 PM  Show Profile
At my sister in laws' beautiful and rather, grand scale wedding, they served a sit down full- service filet mignon or lobster dinner, and while everyone was eating and quietly marvelling at the cost of such a meal, the priest who'd performed the wedding strolled in--Apparently, uninvited--now, I don't know what decorum is for priests since I'm not catholic, but we invited our JP, he just politely declined. Anyhoo, in walks Father Stan and sits down at a table with the most parishoners he recognizes and promptly requests lobster AND filet mignon "sort of a surf and turf" he was heard to say to everyone around him. Naturally, because he wasn't formally invited, they didn't have a meal prepared for him, nor was "surf and turf" an option on our response cards as I recall. Luckily, there were a few guests who didn't make it, so there was an extra piece of meat here and there and he was fed without much ado.

Oh. Ok, I conveniently forget that I was married previously...the reasons I forget are legion...
My future father in law was a drunk (and like father, like son, I found out later), who claimed to be just a "working class" guy, but really, was just a bumpkin-hick who was antisocial and thought everyone else was a snob and "hated" city folk (i.e., me.) The day before the ceremony, he called to tell my fiance that he wasn't coming because he didn't have anything to wear--not even a dress shirt or dress pants and he "weren't buyin' anything" because it was a waste of money. I thought, "really? Supporting your only son is a waster of money...", but I didn't say much--because it was SO typical. So my fiance loaned him his clothes because, well , he wanted his jerk of a father at our wedding... Once there, he complained the whole time about what an ugly tie he had on (I bet she--me--bought this for you!) and how he couldn't wait to get out of the "get up" and go back to the farm. They left before we even cut the cake, and while I was milling around visiting people at the small reception, guests asked, "who was that jerk? He complained about everything! His wife sure was nice, but I really felt sorry for her!!!"

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Tacky Weddings Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page