Page: of 2

bubblesnz
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

helen

New Zealand
291 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2005 :  5:50:48 PM  Show Profile
I am appalled at how the most powerful nation in the world, has treated is own people in New Orleans.Your Bush government would not get my vote. I am shocked that so littlle has been done.
My heart goes out to the wretched soles stuck in the disaster area. How can Americans let their own be treated this way.?

I am aware we all have our own issues and problems, but really they are minor compared to what has been lost here by these people.

I am probably upsetting a few people here with this post, but surely their are farm girls in New Orleans too!!
I am disheartened that no one has offered prayers and loving thoughts to those out there. Do you girls care so little about your neighbours??

I for one well be sending all the prayers I can manage for those in New Orleans, if we all did this as a group, I am sure they will be answered..

New Zealand is already collecting donations for New Orleans.

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2005 :  5:59:35 PM  Show Profile
Helen, I know you mean well because you are a very caring and loving person...I am an American and I too am ashamed and horrified by this disaster. WE have several topics going specifically for prayers, support and donation sites for the katrina disaster. The whole nation is reeling from this as you can read on these topics...The farmgirls care deeply and profoundly for the people who have lost everything. Please do not assume all Americans do not care. We do. There were some serious problems at the state and local level to get help for the people, and they WILL be held accountable by the American public. I do not think this was Bush's fault. That is wonderful the people of NZ are trying to help. This area will need all the help and prayer it can muster.

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre

Edited by - MeadowLark on Sep 02 2005 6:08:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

bubblesnz
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

helen

New Zealand
291 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2005 :  6:08:06 PM  Show Profile
I stand corrected Jen, I have found prayers for this, apolygies. I need not mean to presume that all Americans dont care, but I am shocked at the heartless way in which these people are being treated.
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2005 :  6:12:26 PM  Show Profile
I understand your anger Helen. I have been shouting at the TV and crying for the last 5 days in anger and frustration that human beings are being treated this way and dying this way. As you said, the most powerful nation on earth has no excuses for this!

Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2005 :  6:51:19 PM  Show Profile
I agree, but please don't denounce us until you know the facts, we here in California have no way of helping except by praying and donating, I wish I could go there and help, what I don't understand is all I see at the pics and film from the astrodome this seems to be all poor people, am I wrong?? did no one help these people evacuate?? Sorry but I didn't see any movie stars in the evacuee center, they are all talking from other towns after they LEFT, where was the city/state when these people needed help to get out of town if that IS what happened?

I was Country before Country was COOL!!!!
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2005 :  6:59:34 PM  Show Profile
I don't know if we will ever get a straight answer on what happened. Do we ever get answers? The American people will have to help on this. There are hundreds of people opening up their homes to the evacuees. Now that is what America is all about.

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2005 :  8:21:20 PM  Show Profile
Many of the people you see in the news had no way to leave....no cars, perhaps family that would not leave, no money for air fare, etc. They truly thought they could ride this out.

Much help is on the way, but the way is not easy. No roads, no power, floods. To get into these areas safely and effectively takes time, and it has only been days. These massive efforts cannot happen in the flash of an eye. But they will happen. Just keep praying. It is a waste of time to blame. Mother Nature dealt us a big one. Just give and pray and help.

jpbluesky

Go to Top of Page

bubblesnz
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

helen

New Zealand
291 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2005 :  8:25:16 PM  Show Profile
I understand there is very little we can really do lareyna. What I cant understand and except, is that they have been left 4 days without food and water. Surely there are emergency plans made for events such as this..Where is the comunication....
This could just as easily been your or my town and it could be us in this positionright now .....
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2005 :  8:54:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
The problem is no one expected the levies in New Orleans to give way,especially in the wake of the fact that the actual hurricane missed that city. My husband has worked for and with FEMA, and it takes time to stage such a massive relief effort,to figure out who needs what where, to gather the people, the supplies,to figure out the logisitics of travel,and just to GET there with roads and highways washed out. It is NOT caring, it never is not caring,America was founded and survived because in times of threat we gather together and unite against a common evil!
Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2005 :  9:54:16 PM  Show Profile
hear hear,,,,thank you!!

I was Country before Country was COOL!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Mari-dahlia
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Marianne
Hoosick Falls New York
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2005 :  04:42:37 AM  Show Profile
Every disaster however devastating is a learning experience. The sunami countries have totally changed the way they do things and I am sure so will we. New Orleans has unique problems. I watch BBC news and the reporters who are in New Orleans from England have compared this to the Sunami. They had relief organizations already in their towns and organized ,used to taking care of the people in that region . All the world had to do is get the supplies to the already existing relief organizations. Many people who have been on radio who have lived in New Orleans have pointed out that New Orleans is a very rich and than devastatingly poor community, the rich left with the evacuation. Any community that has no middle class lacks all the structure which holds the commnity together. Look at Boluxi and how much better they are doing even though they were just as devastated.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Mari-dahlia
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Marianne
Hoosick Falls New York
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2005 :  05:41:00 AM  Show Profile
I try to channel the frustrated anger I feel by concentrating on what could be done differently if it could. And, I am baffled. They are still under water. How can they pump it out when the surrounding area is higher than they are? They built a large city below sea level and surrounded by higher water sources. That's why they have levys in the first place. I think no matter how much money we throw at this city it will always be vulnerable to mother nature. Mother nature keeps us humble no matter the technology or wealth we have.
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2005 :  05:52:29 AM  Show Profile
One thing my husband and I noticed, the Fox news was showing a helicopter shooting video of the area.
There was a whole lot full of school buses under water in New Orleans.
The city has to take some of the heat here, those buses that could have been used to evacuate at least a neighborhood.
Was everyone left to there own devices to get out of town before hand?
That would explain why alot of the poorer areas had not choice but to ride it out.
My prayers are with these people and some money will too.
Ultimately the most help will come from all of us (meaning us as private citizens and small businesses thru volunteers and donations of all kinds, from fuel to drive relief supplies, to the supplies themselves, and the people willing to go and help with cleanup.)

I have heard so much about the feds are supposed to be the ones to save the day, but immediate help has to be local then state to help the local, then federal to help the state and the local.
Just my 2 cents.
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2005 :  06:25:56 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Helen,
My husband and I are also very upset. I am not a Bush supporter and never have been. There was a recording of an interview yesterday with the mayor of New Orleans - he is understandably upset and says he has been begging for help from the Feds, from FEMA, from the state gov't. He told Bush yesterday morning that what he didn't need was Bush coming over in Air Force One - he needed troops, he needed food and water and trucks and helicopters. That it was a NATIONAL DISASTER and if they wouldn't give him the authority to get something done, give it to SOMEBODY just help these people!!!

If the gov't didn't believe the scope of what the mayor was telling them on MONDAY for crying out loud - why didn't Bush or somebody go flying over just to make sure? Why is it that the visit waited until FRIDAY - people up to their necks in water for FIVE DAYS with no food, no water, no help.

You want to bring up unprecedented disaster. What about the four hurricanes that hit FL last year? Fl was declared a national disaster before the hurricanes had even left. Why? I'll betcha because the Gov. of Fl is the president's brother. That's why. Now here in Lousiana - one of the poorest states in the country - they need help after being hit by a category FIVE hurricane and he moves like molasses in January!

Someone mentioned those buses. Sure - each school bus can hold up to 60 people, and it was estimated that 15,000 people could have been evaced at a time with those buses that are now wasting under water. And many people are blaming the mayor for his lack of foresight on those buses. How was he to know the levy would break? Is he supposed to anticipate every potential outcome of the storm. Darnit, he should have known that levy was going to break! He should have been pouring cement before Katrina hit, right?

Before the hurricane hit, he called for a MANDATORY evacuation and these 60,000+ people ignored it. I applaud that mayor - he's been working around the clock for a week now trying to help his city. I also applaud him for calling a spade a spade. That takes a lot more courage than taking vacation days to shoot a duck from 100 yards away in Crawford, Texas.

Are we so desperate to not put any blame on the president that we look for ways to blame everyone else for not thinking ahead? I'm not blaming the Pres. for a national disaster occuring. I'm appalled at the response time. I'm appalled at Bush standing in front of the press saying the healing process has begun for New Orleans, and talking about how things will be back to normal soon, when, for most the grieving hasn't started yet. There are still people trapped in their attics dying of dehydration and drowning

The same delay transpired with the tsunami, and it wasn't until people were screaming that the Pres. did something. He sent his dad and Clinton and made the whole thing a PR statement.

There's a lot I have to say about the whole mess, and the President in general. And I know I have upset some people here at this point. Maybe we simply expect too much from a man who is in dire need of a 'speak and spell' for his birthday.
There I said it.
-Lynn

Edited by - greyghost on Sep 03 2005 07:07:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mari-dahlia
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Marianne
Hoosick Falls New York
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2005 :  06:36:21 AM  Show Profile
I do not get upset over politics. If you look at history, what real harm does any one president serving 4-8 years cause? Don't get angry. We the people rule and there are hundreds if not thousnds of examples which show that we control what our leaders do. Just get the dander up of the American people and you will find out who rules.
Power to the people, people help people.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2005 :  08:06:38 AM  Show Profile
I too am angry and upset at what these poor people have had to endure. And it unbelievable to me that in the US we have people who have had to go through this. But I don't feel that President Bush deserves all the blame for this. But the president, no matter who it would have been and no matter what the party, would be the one to be blamed. The governor of LA and the mayor of NO have to take the first amount of responsibility for not having an emergency plan in place. Since President Bush went to tour yesterday things are finally happening to get those people out. As I am writing this, helicopters are landing at the convention center one after the other and the new says they hope to have everyone out today.

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2005 :  08:13:09 AM  Show Profile
Well said Kay!

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2005 :  09:04:27 AM  Show Profile
This is a volatile topic girls. Just sending out a reminder that we are a diverse group with diverse political backrounds. And we, unfortunately, cannot solve all of the worlds problems within this forum. Let's all take a deep collective breath and do privately what we feel is appropriate to honor those in need and to help where we can. Let's not get caught up in any other agenda here within this forum. Thank you all.

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2005 :  2:28:09 PM  Show Profile
Our Earth is undergoing a change. It is evident everywhere not just in this one area. It may not be a popular thought but I would advise that we not rebuild N.O. as it was. I do not believe we humans can build a dike of any kind that will withstand a C5 hurricane. We are learning some incredibly hard lessons here and finding out just how strong mother nature can be. Right now it seems as bad as it could possibly have been but I wonder, what would have happened if it had been hit directly? We are also finding out that no amount of emergency preparedness can prepare us for what we have just witnessed. We have learned also that even if we get the stranded and poor into shelters that will withstand a storm of this magnitude we must in the future have a stockpile of water and other life saving things such as meals ready to eat and simple medicines available to keep those poor souls alive until help can get to them. It seems that I remember a time when part of our school day was in learning civil defence and where all the fall out shelters were. I always was under the impression that these shelters contained a stock pile of necessities for survival. What about supplying our shelters i.e. convention centers and sports domes with something like this, a 5 day supply for however many people would possibly need to be shelterd. What about re-learning where to go when a water event is about to take place. Get to higher ground. This is instinctual with the animal kingdom.
Now that we know what can happen in a city built under sea level perhaps we will rebuild it above sea level. I will not comment upon the governments role in this but as an intelligent group of people I think we can see better ways to approach repairing the damage already done by a force over which we had no control.
Just my thoughts. Maybe we cannot solve all the worlds problems but we can collectively see solutions to some of them when we can clear our heads and hearts of our anger and fight our way through our grief. we are all in grief and those poor souls down in the middle of it are in shock so we cannot expect them to see clearly.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

bubblesnz
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

helen

New Zealand
291 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2005 :  2:54:14 PM  Show Profile
Well said Eileen. This is something that every country can prepare themselves for.In New Zealand, we do have Civil Defence posts and volunteers who constantly met and practice for such an event. We all have in our local phonebooks, instructions where our civil defence posts are and what to do,incase of emergency or evacuation.We are also told what to keep on hand to help us in such an emergeny. Also 3 short blasts means, go there now!!!! Practices are held at resthomes, stores, schools etc, on how to move people and account for them all. These practice trails happen at any time, without notice. Admittedly, we normally see them as a "pain". But the whole N O disaster puts it all in perspective.
Go to Top of Page

Linda Houston
True Blue Farmgirl

538 Posts

Linda
Lake Charles Louisiana
USA
538 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2005 :  3:12:23 PM  Show Profile
I am a Louisiana Farm Girl, and we hear each one of you. My heart began to race as I read the different posts, but there is TV truth , your truth and then the real truth. Please do not picture us as a people that do not care. We citizens of Lousiana are just as hurt, if not more, as you have stated. The biggest difference is that these are "our people" and NO was a city that each person in Louisisna loved and honored. it was much more than 'The Big Easy' to us...it was a huge part of our who and what we are as a people.

Remember, we are asking the same questions, scrreaming at the TV and all the things you women feel.he rescue---Yes, they did know the levies would NOT within stand a # 5 storm---they were built for 3 ? That I'lll never understand.

Being an American citizen, I firmly believe in our right to free speech. --This is bigger than I can describe to you. The people need prayer, compassion and strenght and I know you farmgirls concern comes out of love and a desire to see our people safe---

Thanks for the posts---it tells me you all are watching and caring enough to express outrage===Just please temper it with compassion for everyone, including the Federal government, local governent and mostly the people.

The saddest thing to me is that I don't think we will EVER know what happened, except that we have lost 1000's of beautiful souls and that is the biggest grief I have.

I would like to tell you women, that I heard from Mary Jane and her staff. I am part of the volunteer effort and she wrote to offer support. I might have crossed a boundry telling you this personal part of their life, but her compassion and encouragement to me meant more than I can say.

Lastly, ( and I know this is long) this old Southern Sate is grieving for our loss and the loss of Miss and Ala. Remember, after they were wiped out, they had dry land to begin their efforts. If you could join us and walk the streets of our cities you would feel the sorrow....Also, the many that has come forth to help is unbelieveable...I include Texas, Ark. Okl, all the states that have welcomed the people. To withness this massive evacuation and the volunteers that are waiting yo assist is something that I can not nor will not ever be able to articulate.

Blessing to each of you

Linda H.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2005 :  7:03:28 PM  Show Profile
Linda -- thank you so much for sharing your heart. We can only watch TV and grieve for all of you but you are there to feel the pain. I have been, and will continue, to pray for everyone that has been affected and involved in those horrible disaster. I am sitting here wondering what more I can do to help. I truly want to get in my car and drive there to put my arms around those people and comfort them. I heard today that Oregon's governor has been contacted to take at least 1,000 people. Since we are so close to Portland (where I'm sure they'll be sent) I am going to call the Red Cross to see if I can volunteer. If that doesn't work out then my husband and I have decided to offer a place in our home for a family.

You have my deepest respect and gratitude for what you are doing.

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2005 :  8:40:15 PM  Show Profile
all I can say after 5 days of crying for mothers without their babies and other loved ones being so dazzed and confused, people drowning in their homes, dying alone but surrounded by thousands, carring their husbands on ripped off doors when they already died, having no food or water, giving birth in a dark & unhealthy enviroments and deficating in the streets is this; it is up to each and everyone of us as human beings to make certain this never happens to anyone ever again anywhere. We all help in our own ways by giving each other the care,love, kindness and respect that each and everyone one of us on this planet deserves. It is a horribly sad & dark time but we must now as people come together and do what we can to make it better for them. Michele

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2005 :  10:52:24 AM  Show Profile
Hi Linda,
Thankyou for your very heartfelt perspective and words of love. We are grieving with you and cannot even find the words to express how deeply we are all affected by what has happened. New Orleans has had a monumental influence on the whole of the united States as well as the world and the loss of the history is unfathomable. The loss of the souls there is heartwrenching. My hopes and prayers in this are that in the rebuilding of something so tremendous that we as a whole plan into the rebuilding a way to protect all the people, not just some of the people who live there. I hope as a nation we are learning the lessons we have been dealt. I am grieving with you as we have friends with family there still missing. I am sending support to in the only way I can.
My love and prayers to you all in the midst of this storm.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2005 :  12:21:09 PM  Show Profile
I am an American and very proud to be so. We do live in the greatest country in the world. We will get through this. Americans all over are opening their hearts, their homes and their wallets. My son and his mother-in-law have been in Baton Rouge for several days now, with the Red Cross, helping with all their might, as are thousands and thousands of others. We will all help in whatever way we can. Having said that . . . how many of us are prepared with basic food and water to last us for several days in case of emergency . . . it's a good idea . . . it is certainly a suggestion we have all heard. If, heaven forbid, something ever happens in our own home towns or cities, let's not be part of the problem. Talk to your families and have an evacuation plan. We can blame and blame but for a second let's turn to look to ourselves. Are you ready? Could you help your neighbors? Hopefully we will learn some lessons from this tragedy and then take action. Our preparations begin at home, let's not expect government, local or otherwise, to have to take on the full burden.
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2005 :  1:49:42 PM  Show Profile
Linda and all - your thoughts and your love of this country make my heart swell. We will get through this, and many, many good people are risking their health and lives and well-being to help those who are so desperate. Please pray that no more storms come.

Here in the panhandle of Florida, we are housing many families. They are attending our schools. We are without gas at our stations. But we are opening our arms to help.

Linda, I am proud of you and your statements. Thank you for sharing.

jpbluesky
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic New Orleans Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page