YiberryYadeeKarin
True Blue Farmgirl

343 Posts

Karin
Spokane Valley WA
USA
343 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2008 :  1:46:58 PM  Show Profile
Can anyone tell me what an estate sell entails? How is it different from a yard sale (except that you're not doing it yourself) or an auction?

We are in the process of moving my mom from her house where she, dad, and my brother moved to in 1956. Mom and Dad were both pack rats, and I inherited some of that too, so there is a TON of stuff to go through. I, mostly, have been packing, etc. but it's a daunting and overwhelming task. We're planning to get someone to do an estate sale but I'm wondering if I'm making this too hard? Can I just go through stuff, take what I/we want, and leave the rest of it to the person we hire?

And what about stuff that might be of value? Like china, antiques, silver????

Any information is appreciated! Karin

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2008 :  1:54:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
Hi Karin,
There are agencies that you can classicly hire to come in (after you've taken what you want) that will do all the sorting, tagging and organizing prior to your sale. Then they will advertise and conduct the sale. The clincher is that they take a percentage of the proceeds. (Sometimes 40-50% which varies depending on who you talk to)
If there's more volume (stuff) than you think you can handle, I suggest that it might be worth it to hire someone. You just want to make sure you hire someone with a good reputation that will represent you well, meaning if you have higher priced items, they will mark them accordingly or notify you of their value so you and your family can make a decision of whether to hold on to the item(s) or sell them.
Hope this helps!

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom"
Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2008 :  1:58:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
If you're not certain where to go or who to hire, check out estate sales in your area. Most companies that do this will have business cards on hand and be happy to talk to you about hiring them. You should even get references.

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom"
Go to Top of Page

idcityrose
True Blue Farmgirl

202 Posts

Rose
Idaho City Idaho
USA
202 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2008 :  3:25:52 PM  Show Profile
Karin, I speak from 12 years experience doing Estate sales with my sister-in-law all over Idaho and a couple out of state.

You are right on the money when you say you want to take what you want, and I recommend taking anything you have a question about as you can always sell it later, and leave the rest to whomever you hire.

The only difference with Estate sales and yard sales is people know there will be more of a variety at an actual Estate sale and so you will have a better turnout. It is alot of work to put together so please try to find someone reputable and there are many unreputable people doing estate sales and I know most of their tricks. Like over pricing everything to the point that nothing sells and offering pennies on the dollar to help you out and buy it all when the sale is over and nothing has sold.

You could run the sale yourself or with friends and family members but the average person just gets overwhelmed. Please contact someone who has a good reputation and get references also. At many sales we turned up treasures the family was not aware of and was stashed in attics, basements crawl spaces etc.

I hope this helps if you want to contact me directly with any questions I would be glad to help in any way I can.

Good Luck!
idcityrose

We are never alone in the forest of Sisters! We "Mountain Farmgirls" are outstanding in our field!
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2008 :  4:53:23 PM  Show Profile
I have also done estate sales and I would caution you to be careful. Find out what percentage they charge and if there are any other fees. Also, often, if they are also antique dealers, they will purposely price things not to sell and then at the end make a rediculously low offer to buy it. Unfortunately many of these people are not honest and try to take advantage. If you can get together friends and family that you trust, I would do it myself if I were you. Maybe find a friend who knows antiques to help you out on pricing. Going to a few estate sales will also help you get a feel for fair pricing. Hope this helps. Best of luck!

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2008 :  8:33:54 PM  Show Profile
I went to one today in an amazing historic victorian home in a neighboring town...four stories of incredible things! But I digress...The sale was run by the daughter of the owners. It was listed with craigslist and you called for an appointment.

I have been to others where the extended family is there for a weekend selling things themselves. Everthing was priced and you just walked through like a tag sale.

If you are overwhelmed and have little help, I would call an agency to handle it. Otherwise I would call in extended family and do things myself. You should of course, take anything valuable to anyone in the family (or friends) out before you begin.

Rhonda

I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance even if I'm the only one...

http://www.kattywhompus.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Estate sale? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page