Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 pain relief for aged dog.............
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic pain relief for aged dog............. Next Topic  

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2008 :  08:36:51 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
our beloved cosmo

really seems to be in pain. she is very old and every winter for the last few winters we have wondered will this be our last with her.
at any rate, i think she is experiencing some pain and wonder if any of you have had any luck with aspirin or other pain relief for dogs?
amy suggestions would be appreciated.

love
fran

(http://farmfolks-frannie.blogspot.com/)

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2008 :  08:47:33 AM  Show Profile
We have an old dog too, here is what we do for her...Ask your vet for Restor-A-Flex and there is Rimadyl, which is like doggie tylynol, both of these have helped a lot with our old girl

Annika
Farmgirl sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
http://innermountainmudhens.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoonsgarden.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2008 :  10:09:21 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
thanks so much, annika, you know around here if cosmo aint happy no one is happy!

love
fran

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2008 :  11:35:11 AM  Show Profile
Our little beloved dog, Cottonball, live for over 18 years. Our vet said baby aspirin was okay to give for pain in dogs.

Oh, and I just fell in love with Cosmo by looking at the photo. What a sweetheart of a face.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on Feb 23 2008 11:36:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2008 :  12:34:43 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Cosmo is a beautiful girl! Ours is a golden over 13 y.o. and we recently put her on half a tablet of Rimadyl once a day, along with one tablet of Dasuquin once a day, both for her joint pain/arthritis. She has responded pretty well to it, much to our happiness; no more "moaning and groaning" every time she flops down or gets up.

"I believe in God, only I spell it Nature." -- Frank Lloyd Wright
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2008 :  12:54:51 PM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
cosmo is a great pyrenes and a pretty big dog. she is a working dog and helps keep the kywoodies(olivia's name for coyotes) at bay, until this past year when they just started running roughshod over everything. no goat or chicken fatalities, but the cats really suffered.
cosmo just doesnt work like she used to, and has really spent the last 24 hours asleep in the greenhouse porch on a mat. she seems alsmost embarrased by this, but we dont mind at all she is an "old lady dog"(olivia, again) and we feel she has the right to just live out her days on her good looks and sweet personality, but in the last week she has really gone down and of course we fear the worst. i will try the baby aspirins, and call the vet monday and see if there are other ideas to help her maintain a pain free quality of life.
thanks for all the advice. i am a little afraid we might be dealing with more than arthritis/joint pain here, i guess in a way i just dont want to know.

love
fran

Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2008 :  1:36:20 PM  Show Profile
Hey Ms. Frannie. The recommendations are good, I'm gonna throw a couple of vet tech two cents in (ahh, now you know what the day job is, when I ain't working on a magazine).

Baby aspirin is ok, REGULAR aspirin thins the blood and might make it hard to stop any bleeding if your pup cuts herself.

Rimadyl is good but there is a study saying long term usage can lead to liver problems(however, my friend has her dog on Rimadyl. The dog is 15 and she keeps saying "Zan, by the time the dog gets liver failure, she'll have already died of old age, she's so old").

Dasuquin or Cosequin is a good for joint support and it helps "lube" the joints. Where I worked, they used to give cosequin for pets, but the vets let me know that the medicine is NO different then human cosaquin, which is also given to people for joint pain! Ha! I once heard that one of our clients used to give HIS cosequin to his old dog to save money! Hmm....

Anyhow, I hope Cosmo feels better. She looks like a dear!

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com

www.pumpkinpatchparlor.etsy.com

And Blogs:

www.bigtownfarmer.blogspot.com

www.queenofcrows.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2008 :  2:20:23 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like your baby has done a good job in life - so glad she can relax now, and know that you will love her and take good care of her. I love dogs - they want to do everyting for everyone and they feel bad if they can't please.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2008 :  3:18:30 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Cosmo is beautiful!

I have a 13 year old 95 pound pup-Zena. She has arthritis, plus complications from some injuries from before we adopted her. When we noticed the pain getting worse, we talked to our vet who recommended two things that have REALLY helped.

Glucosamine. Just the regular over the counter at the drugstore. Because our girl is pretty big, we give her the adult dosage.

And, rimadyl. I know you have to keep an eye out for side effects, but these two things together have helped her SO much-she has gotten the spring in her step back!

Good luck!

Jennifer
Farmgirl Sister #104

"Nature brings to every time and season some beauties of its own".
-Charles Dickens
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2008 :  7:55:56 PM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
thanks for all the good advice, i think i will start with the aspirin. cosmo is about 13 years old, but as a pup she had some susupect nutrition that i think started her off on a rough road, so she maybe a little older health wise. at any rate she is such a dear and it is hard to watch her when she doesnt seem to feel good. i will keep yall posted.
thanks so much.

love
fran

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2008 :  03:14:58 AM  Show Profile
Look up DGP for doggone pain It's an herbal supplement that hales from out of Australia but is certainly available in the U S

Used it a little on my first dog for her hips.

It's 30.00 but might be worth a try
Go to Top of Page

jenbove

320 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2008 :  07:26:53 AM  Show Profile
Yes, Fran, do try DGP like Anna suggested. I tried EVERYTHING available for my beloved heeler mix - Adequan injections, aspirin, Robaxin, Etogesic, Rimadyl, glucosamine, MSM, etc, etc. He had lifelong arthritis (he made it about 10 years), and the one product that seemed to really help the most was DGP. Here's the website: http://www.doggonepain.com/

Acupuncture also seemed to help for awhile when he was going downhill fast, but he got to the point he wouldn't allow it. I also wonder now if magnesium supplements might have helped, but I'd ask your vet about that one.

Jen

GOT A "WILD HAIR"?
COME VISIT MARYJANE'S OUTPOST!

www.maryjanesoutpost.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member # 9

My Blog: The View From My Boots
www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jenbove

320 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2008 :  10:36:52 AM  Show Profile
Oh, and I forgot to mention exercise...it's important to make sure that Cosmo gets up and moves around a few times each day. Too much laying in one place can make any old girl really stiff and sore.
She's beautiful & I understand how tough this time is on all of you.

Jen

GOT A "WILD HAIR"?
COME VISIT MARYJANE'S OUTPOST!

www.maryjanesoutpost.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member # 9

My Blog: The View From My Boots
www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2008 :  09:53:31 AM  Show Profile
That's a beautiful picture

Poor girl looks in pain and needs a hug

If we had a bigger house, I'd get a Golden in a heartbeat

Happy to know others here know about DGP
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2008 :  1:05:02 PM  Show Profile
What a Sweet Girl!!!
We did Rimadyl for my Lily-girl the last 2 years of her life. The only problem that she seemed to have with the meds was just every now and again, she'd have pretty terrible diarreah. She just couldn't help it at times, and I could tell it really upset her to have to go in the house. I'm hoping Cosmo has much better times ahead :)

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

akcowgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Valerie
Homer Alaska
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2008 :  8:39:11 PM  Show Profile  Send akcowgirl a Yahoo! Message
If you go the Rimadyl route watch her behavior, my lab mix tore a ligament years ago and they gave me rimadyl for her and it made her very grumpy and tired, she just did not want to be messed with at all, to the point that she would not let me pet her she would look at me with these look that just said please leave me alone, and if i did make her get up she would grumble really low in her chest. It scared me a little and I took her off of it right away. The vet said that in some dogs it causes aggresivness (sp) and they never know which ones it might affect this way because my lad does not have an aggressive bone in her body. just thought I would through that out there as something to think about.

Valerie
Yes, I live in my own little world. But that's ok they know me here.
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic pain relief for aged dog............. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page