Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 What is your first baking memory?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What is your first baking memory? Next Topic
Page: of 2

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  7:31:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
My first baking memory is of baking sugar cookies with my mom, Sage and my sister Juliet79. I remember stamping out the shapes of men and animals, rerolling the dough to get more cookies. Then we decorated with frosting and had lots of fun eating warm out of the oven cookies. I think I was about 4 or 5.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and I our our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  9:46:11 PM  Show Profile
Although my mother baked a lot of cakes when I was small, I don't have memories of it. I started hanging around my future MIL's house when I was 8 and learned a lot from her, about baking and also watching her do all kinds of sewing and needlework. No clue I would be marrying her son 8 short years later.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2008 :  03:40:48 AM  Show Profile
I remember trying to decorate sugar cookies at Christmas with my mom and older sister. My mom makes really great sugar cookies and I really tried to get my Christmas trees and snowmen as pretty as my sister's. But, all those jimmies and silver BBs and colorful sugar was just too much for me too resist and everything looked kinda Jackson Pollack.
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2008 :  06:05:35 AM  Show Profile
I used to bake with my mom, my babysitter and both of my grandmothers. All of my cookware that I use now is the same hammered metal cookware used by my dad's mom - she went into the nursing home a couple years ago. Her cookware was the only thing I really wanted.

I'm pounding my head trying to think of my first memory, but I'll be danged if I can!

My new blog! http://thecottonwife.wordpress.com/

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2008 :  06:58:16 AM  Show Profile
I remember my mom making peanut butter cookies and letting me press the fork down on them!

Lori
Go to Top of Page

Mizsuzee
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Susan
Washington State
9 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2008 :  5:00:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Mizsuzee a Yahoo! Message
My mom loved to bake and when I was about 5, she made a cute little scrapbook (which I still have SOMEWHERE) for me with cut out recipes pasted into it. I remember making "One-Two-Three-Four Cake" with her and thinking it was SOOOOO much fun! Ok, now I just HAVE to go find that scrapbook... from 1960. :)

www.mizsuzee.wordpress.com
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter - that tells what sort of life you've lived.
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2008 :  09:44:16 AM  Show Profile
Oh Susan, my babysitter made me a scrapbook like that!

My new blog! http://thecottonwife.wordpress.com/

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2008 :  10:27:57 AM  Show Profile
Making Christmas cut out cookies with Grandma. Mom hated to cook so I learned everything from Gram. I got to press the cutters down on the dough and later to decorate them. I still make those cookies every year with Gram's recipe.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2008 :  11:25:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I love all these memories!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and I our our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2008 :  12:59:31 PM  Show Profile
Helping my Grandma make her from scratch cakes. I never have tasted better cakes and frosting.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2008 :  1:03:53 PM  Show Profile
Mom baked great chocolate cakes with seven minute frosting on them. I watched, but she never liked me to help. Guess I was not much help! But I did lick the bowl. I remember the angel food cakes she made, cooling upside down on a 7-up bottle. If I ran through the kitchen, she would tell me to slow down, a cake was cooling!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2008 :  1:41:17 PM  Show Profile
my grandfather was a baker who imigrated from germany to southern california. He died when my father was 12, so i never got to meet him. Although my grandfather gave up baking as a profession in favor of asphault paving as a way to feed his large (12 kids) family, he always baked a christmas cookie every year for his family called Speculatius & He used the carved oak spec boards that he brought through ellis island when he imigrated to make them. The boards were used in his bakery to make the cookies for sale. After he gave up the bakery, he still made the cookies (using the same recipe amounts as the bakery used -one batch makes thousands of cookies, good for a family of 14) He taught his kids to make them and it is one of my dad's fond memories and we talk about it every year as we make the cookies together. When i was very young, the "cookie boards" were passed around among my dad's siblings so that everyone could make the cookies at Christmastide. Nowadays, one of dad's sisters found a way to carve exact dublicates of the original boards and made a set for all of us, the grandkids too! I have my own set. I have a very generous and kind family. it is not only my first baking memory but it is my favorite cookie and favorite christams memory...
love, karen

www.edgehillherbfarm.com "where the name is bigger than the farm, but no one seems to mind"
blog http://edgehillherbfarmer.spaces.live.com/default.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0
happy farmgirl #89
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2008 :  09:23:37 AM  Show Profile
I wish my memories were like all of ours. But mine is not. My mother was not around much and I usually had to do things for myself. So one night I didnt want to eat the TV dinner that I usually had to have so I took a frozen hamberger patty out of the freezer and put it in a frying pan...I had not cooking experience as I was in the 4th grade. So as you might know it burnt on the outside and was raw on the inside. And the kitchen wall was full of grease. And BTW I got in huge trouble when my mom got home that night. I had to clean up the kitchen when I got home from school.
That is my 1st experience in cooking something other than a TV dinner. When I had my daughter I made sure she had things that she enjoyed at home if I wasnt home in time for dinner and when I was home on my days off I made things that she liked. I was a single mom until my daughter was 14.
I love to cook now and so does my daugheter
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2008 :  09:49:52 AM  Show Profile
Hmmm.....I "helped" my grandma alot when I was really little with baking, but my first baking on my own memories are of my green baked goods. Yep, green. It is my favorite color and since my mom didn't enjoy baking she let me bake whenever I wanted to.I really liked the green food coloring. I baked green cakes, muffins and cookies all the time. They were pretty ugly now that I look back. My dad's best friend was the only adult who would ever eat any of the green stuff. He always used to tell me that I made the best green spice cake ever. I was sure that when I grew up I would marry him for sure. Such a kind guy. I started with the green baked goods when I was about 7.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

April
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

April
Knoxville TN
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2008 :  09:59:07 AM  Show Profile
My mom didn't teach me to cook or bake either, only after I married did I learn to cook and bake by trial and error. Yes, we lived on mac and cheese in the blue box and chicken nuggets for the first year! LOL. Now, I have my daughter in the kitchen with me all of the time and she loves it. I try to get my boys involved too, but they aren't interested..:)

April~
www.abbysweets.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2008 :  11:35:48 AM  Show Profile
When I was 3 or 4, my parents took a bread making class together. For awhile, my mom made all our bread. I remember the two of them at the enamel-top table in our old apartment, holding up the spoon and watching for the batter to run down into our big red plastic mixing bowl in just the correct way.
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2008 :  2:51:14 PM  Show Profile
My mom was a really creative cook, and I remember always being able to lend a hand. It goes back so far I don't even know anymore. The first memory of something I invented myself was a goopy sort of pie with a chocolate chip cookie dough crust and cherry filling, with whipped cream on top. I remember thinking it was pretty lame in comparison with what I'd imagined, and my mom said it was too rich; but my dad ate it and said it was really good.

The only memories I have from when I was little of my grandmother cooking was morning oatmeal. She made that herself. (She was well to do and had a *staff.*) When she was in her last years, she taught me how to poach chicken breasts for delicious chicken sandwiches. She was a bit unique, having a college education in the early 1920s. In Home Economics and PE. LOL!
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2008 :  4:13:02 PM  Show Profile
Well, I remember my great grandmother, Theodocia, making her famous sugar cream pie in her lovely white enamel-over-porcelain kitchen, in her shotgun cottage. I specifically remember how she mixed everything right there in the pie shell, with her pointer finger and her thumb, rubbing together, then meticulously and slowly carrying it to her old Magic Chef oven to bake. Such an incredible (and simple) pie!!!!

Unfortunately, we didn't have a lot of time, my mom and I to bake--and she HATES making cookies. What I remember us making a lot of were "No Bake Cookies" which were just as good, as I recall

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

corporatefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

389 Posts

Tamara
Pikeville TN
USA
389 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2008 :  2:53:24 PM  Show Profile
My great aunt and my grandmother were wonderful cooks. I remember being about 4 years old and standing on the stool (the kind that was metal, folded out and had two steps with a small seat on top). I would help them mix the pie dough and press it down into the pie pans. They both made these little individual pies for my grandfather and great uncles to take to to work.

I think that was were my love of cooking started. Also my love aprons. Grandma and Aunt Eva always had aprons on

small farms give big benefits
Go to Top of Page

kindacrunchymom
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Diane
In the thumb Michigan
94 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  1:59:35 PM  Show Profile
I know this is an old topic, but I liked reading everyone's stories!

My earliest memory (besides licking the beaters while sitting at my mom's feet) is about my great-grandmother (Ma) on my father's side.

She had her own "mix" that she made up and used for everything. I remember watching her scoop the mix out to make biscuits and what I loved best was watching ehr roll out the dough to cut it. It always looked like a giant, squishy marshmallow to me. She had this tin cutter with a red knob handle that she used to cut out the biscuits.

She always, always made white gravy to go with them, regardless of what else we ate. Oh, they were so good!

Farmmom to my 3 year old farm tot, and wife to a country boy!
To learn more about me, here is my blog:
http://mcadmom.wordpress.com/

Go to Top of Page

Bfriday
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

Jessica
Miles TX
125 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  2:25:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Bfriday an AOL message
My grandmother lived next door when I was little and I did alot of baking with her. She always let me cut the biscuits out with an old hollow tomato sauce can as a cutter. We made pies, I was always facinated by meringue...so white and fluffy! My mom always let us lick the beaters when we made brownies, cake or cookies. When my grandmother died she left me her old kitchen aide, cookbooks and cookie cutters. They are a true treasure to me!

Farmgirl Sister #188
Go to Top of Page

N Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Marie
Seattle Washington
USA
102 Posts

Posted - May 17 2008 :  12:57:07 AM  Show Profile
Wow. Reading everyone's memories, I couldn't for the life of me remember what my first was. Then it hit me, when I was reading about April's blue box blues. I learned to make scrambled eggs when I was about 4, then campbell's vegetable beef soup soon after. I was so proud of my scrambled eggs.

I also remember my mom used to make angel food cake, up until the time we moved, when I was about 6. I had almost forgotten, it had been so long. After we moved here, though, she made concord grape jelly, from her uncle's vines. On one day in particular, during harvest time, I remember all the women sitting around the kitchen table, a big bowl of Uncle Sydney's grapes in the center, all of them chatting and munching away on the grapes, expertly squishing the innards out of the skins and into their mouth, then nibbling out and spitting the seeds into a small bowl. The farm has since been sold, and Uncle Sydney now lives with his son in Lynden. I miss my Uncle Sydney's farm.

I remember we always made christmas cookies, and I remember the first year that I realized it was Dad who was eating them! We also always made Tollhouse chocolate chip cookies. My grandmother was the best at choc. chip cookies, though. She'd keep them in a tin in the bottom of the fridge, and they tasted minty because of it, and the crisco she used in lieu of butter. I remember my first Easy Bake Oven, and my cousin and I made cakes for Grandma (who kept them... for years! Scary how well those things kept.) Mom lives too far away to make cookies together, Grandma lives in a nursing home, and I have no children of my own yet. But I've got a bag of chocolate chips in the cupboard, waiting for the right moment of nostalgia, for old time's sake...

Farmgirl #181
http://yarnfoodcoffee.typepad.com/
Save our oceans! Eat more prey fish!
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/06/070624132617.htm

Edited by - N Marie on May 17 2008 01:10:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - May 17 2008 :  06:06:04 AM  Show Profile
Making oatmeal cookies with my dad. That's is the first time I remember baking with someone. They were his signature cookie, and I make them just like he did, still- lots of butter and oats and no spices. Just pure, nutty oatmeal. My grandmother (my mom's mom) would always have us help her make apple pies. Our part was to sprinkle the leftover dough with cinnamon and sugar and then roll up the dough and cut it into little spiral discs and then she would bake them. Mmmm. To me, that is the best part of pie baking. I still make them for my kids when I bake pies.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
www.madrekarin.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Farm Girl 2
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

Becky
Willis VA
USA
108 Posts

Posted - May 17 2008 :  09:41:06 AM  Show Profile
My mother taught me how to make biscuits when I was just a very small child at about age 3 I would just cut them out and was soon able to make them myself.

Aunt Jenny, my father also had a best friend that was sure to be my husband one day because of my homemade biscuits that I would make for him everytime he came to our house. I didn't marry him but I caught my hubby with a hot buttered biscuit too. He came to my house to pick up my older brother to go hunting and I fed him a butter biscuit and he was like a stray dog and has never left!!!! LOL

My most memorable baking experience however was when I was maybe 11 my mother had to work on a Saturday morning and my brother and my father were building fence and I decided to cook lunch for everyone including a cake. I had never baked a cake. I searched for the perfect recipe and decided on a Chocolate Pound Cake. I can remember that day so well, it was this time of year and the weather was beautiful like it is today. I cleaned the whole house and it smelled so good and clean and the chocolate cake smelled soooo good too. My mom walked in the house and commented on everything smelling sooo good and clean and asked "What are you cooking" I said so proudly "Look in the oven!!" My mother opened the oven door and screamed!!! I ran to the oven to see what happened. As it turns out I used selfrising flour along with baking powder and the cake had risin straight up out of the pan and came thru the top rack of the oven about 4 inches and was baking to the oven rack!!! What a mess!! I thought she was going to Kill me!!!!! hehehe

I have brownies in the oven and my house is clean and smelling fresh just like that day so many moons ago!!!!!!! Oh warm chocolate!!!!

Loving Living Simply!
http://sunnymorningfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - May 18 2008 :  12:12:41 PM  Show Profile
Hands down, my first and treasured baking memories are those with my older sister and her Easy-Bake Oven! Our mom would buy the prepare chocolate chip cookie dough that came in a roll (still available today!) and we would slice it and cut it into quarters, putting it on a little baking tin and watch them bubble and cook under that lightbulb! Crack me up!! I loved it and what I wouldn't do to find an original easy-bake oven! too much fun!! ~julia

being simple to simply be
Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - May 19 2008 :  06:36:28 AM  Show Profile
I remember baking cookies with my maternal grandma, who lived with us. Mom would roll the dough and we would cut it with those cutters that sort fo embossed a design on the cookie.I still have those...Mom would then do the baking part while my sister and I would sit at the table with my VERY patient grandma and frost and decorate the cookies. She would mix up little bowls of what ever color frosting we wanted. I also remember making macaroons at Christmastime with my mom. She'd shape them like little wreaths, dab on green food coloring, and my job would be to add three (never more, never less) cinnamon red hots on the bottom to look like berries. My paternal grandma was a bread baker, but I don't remember helping much with that, just the wonderful smells of their apartment!
Sharon

Farmgirl Sister #74

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What is your first baking memory? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page