Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic forfeit femininity? Next Topic  

jenbove

320 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  12:46:27 PM  Show Profile
I guess this question has come to mind in light of Hillary Clinton's campaign, but it applies to all of us who strike out into the great, wide world. From entrepreneurs to backpackers, we modern women are staking claim to new territories. So, I wonder, do you think forfeiting femininity helps women achieve lofty goals - whether it be the presidency or mountain tops? Must we tame our curls, speak in baritone voices, wear "sensible" straight-cut suits, and stifle the lush & lovely traits that make us mothers, sisters, lovers, women? Does the adoption of male mannerisms make us more effective? Does it somehow secure our position as "feminists"?
Share your thoughts

Jen

GOT A "WILD HAIR"?
COME VISIT MARYJANE'S OUTPOST!

www.maryjanesoutpost.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member # 9

My Blog: The View From My Boots
www.bovesboots.blogspot.com

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  1:05:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
Oh my no! I think the opposite. When we are wholey and truly our beautiful feminine selves we encourage and nurture others to be exactly what and who they are. I have always been a big tomboy but love to express my feminine side as well. There's room for both, making me feel like I am a very well rounded gal!

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk to blossom
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  1:09:24 PM  Show Profile
I don't think anyone will get too far pretending to be something they are not. It takes too much work to keep up the facade!

My new blog! http://thecottonwife.wordpress.com/

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  1:11:44 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
I think a balance...somewhere in between being a dumb silly ultra fem to a manly butch.
To me it's most important to be able to tell if you are looking at a woman or a man! There has got to be something there that is obvious.

May we always be in thankful contemplation of God who presides over us all.
Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous
farmgirl #71 Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  1:25:39 PM  Show Profile
"I myself have never been able to find out
precisely what feminism is; I only know that
people call me a feminist whenever I express
sentiments that differentiate me
from a doormat or a prostitute." Rebecca West

that's my thought...
Sharon

Farmgirl Sister #74

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  1:47:31 PM  Show Profile
I believe that women can be feminine and still be succcessful. I think that to be taken seriously you should dress appropriatly for whatever your workplace is. Foe some women a pants suit just feels better to them than a dress( I am one of them!). For others it is dresses suits and skirts etc. I feel what is most important is to be kind and courteous to all, but if you are the boss you do have to be sure to be treated with the respect you deserve.You can do both,be kind and yet be in charge and able to say no when needed. It's all about self confidence and a good attitude I believe.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  2:03:09 PM  Show Profile
Interesting subject.....my daughter is one of the most girly girls you could ever meet and yet she was very successful in the Air Force and now in her government job which is dominated by males. Now she did have all her uniforms retailored (she is only 5'3' and wears a size zero) so that they really looked good and never reported for duty without make-up and hair perfect but she was military and that is not considered very feminine. At work some of the guys tell her she often looks like Barbie and that's pretty feminine, yet she was an officier and is now the boss of several males. Depends on the women I think.
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  2:08:29 PM  Show Profile
In the 'old' days of feminism, way back in the late '60's and '70's, women distained any of the trappings of 'pretty'....makeup, feminine clothing, and when we went to work, would wear masculine suits to be taken seriously. The rules has softened, and women can embrace being female, but in an appropriate way, especially in business.

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  2:09:38 PM  Show Profile
I just have to say, Sleepless reader, I love that quote and many times that it so true.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

jenbove

320 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  2:41:09 PM  Show Profile
I guess it's pretty obvious that I think you can succeed in whatever manner of womanhood you feel comfortable with. We farm girls prove that, don't we?! Equally comfortable in embroidered aprons and muck boots. It's a beautiful thing. I just think it's too bad that some women seem to feel they must assert masculinity in order to "make it." On that note, I think Hillary could stand to soften a wee bit...my un-political opinion

Have you seen the movie Spanglish? I saw it a couple years ago & thought it touched on this subject with sweetness & grace.

Jen

GOT A "WILD HAIR"?
COME VISIT MARYJANE'S OUTPOST!

www.maryjanesoutpost.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member # 9

My Blog: The View From My Boots
www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  2:46:12 PM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
Peanut you said what I think:) Oh Jennifer I saw Spanglish. I think embracing femininity is important but not abusing its stereotypes or weaknesses...that is how I feel she has used it IMHO. I don't appreciate the crying here and there off and on...crocodile tears.

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."
http://liggygirl.blogspot.com/
http://liggygirlslonggreen.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  3:33:35 PM  Show Profile
I loved Spanglish!!!
And I agree..we don't have to lose our feminity. I love to wear earrings with my overalls..heehee..and I am not about to give up my mascara...not that I am likely to rule the world..but I do rule the roost sometimes..haha.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic forfeit femininity? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page