KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2005 :  08:02:45 AM  Show Profile
I have two large herb pots outside, that didn't fair to well in early August, but now with recent rains, look incredible! I cook ALOT, but there is no way I can possibly use all those fresh herbs, so when is it good to dry them? What's the best way? I have italian oregano, thyme, sage, basil, rosemary and chives (which I usually bring inside for the winter--if my cats don't eat them!!!) Any help is much appreciated--I really hate the idea of letting them go to waste.

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2005 :  08:13:27 AM  Show Profile
Make pesto and freeze it! I freeze pesto in icecube trays and then take them out of the trays when frozen and put them all in a big freezer bag. In winter, I add a cube or two of pesto to soup or marinara sauce or, thawed, onto hot pasta. Yummy! Best to dry herbs before they go to flower -- the flavor is milder and seems to get harsher when the plant goes to flower. Chives can be chopped and frozen, too. Have fun!
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2005 :  08:20:07 AM  Show Profile
Jonni:
You can cut the stems of herbs and wrap four or five or six into a bunch and wrap the end with a rubber band. Then hang them upsidedown to dry. The rubber bands will contract as the stems dry and keep the bunches from falling apart. When they are dry you can put them in plastic baggies for storage. If possible, hang them in a dark room. I hang mine in my laundry room, it doesn't have windows. You can use opened up paper clips for hangers.
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2005 :  08:39:34 AM  Show Profile
Thanks so much! I printed off the topic and while my hubby is playing in his band tonight, I'll do my stuff! Can't wait to leave work...
Jonni

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2005 :  10:46:37 AM  Show Profile
I hang mine to dry too. And I agree..the herbs are less harsh right before blooming. I like to dry lavender just before the buds open, and I will use basil for pesto at any stage...we love pesto. I am due to make a big batch this week.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2005 :  11:44:11 AM  Show Profile
Another easy way to dry herbs is placing them in a brown paper bag and toss them in your car truck, shake well every day or so and before you know it, they are dried and ready for storage. I hang mine too, but always looking for different ways, esp. when I run out of room to hang.. Herb jellies are always fun too!

Sisterhood of the Traveling Art...

I'm not 40 something, I'm 39.95 plus shipping and handling!
Go to Top of Page

Jes
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

jes
whitefield me
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2005 :  5:13:06 PM  Show Profile
Hope this inspires you Gurlsrbest!

I hung these on my clothesline yesterday....it's breezy and dry enough to do so this weekend.

Another way I have done it is upside down in paperbags as well...but I take a hole punch and punch holes all over the bag, so air can circulate around the herbs....but keep the herbs from getting dusty. (OH....and pet hair free too!)

I am an addict with recycling fun jars from other herb containers, gourmet foods, etc.....and store my dried herbs in some of these. (drives Hubby nuts) (oh well.) hehe

Just a Maine Girl
http://sweetpeas.motime.com ~journal
http://sweetpeas.motime.com ~collective souls....a journal's journey

Edited by - Jes on Sep 04 2005 5:21:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2005 :  5:44:31 PM  Show Profile
Junebug and all,
I also dry many herbs in a paper bag in my car.It often takes only one day, maybe two at the most on a really hot day.
I have found it to be the fastest drying method, which preserves the color and flavor of the herb. The longer an herb takes to dry completely,the volatile oils evaporate and the dried herb will end up being virtually tasteless. If you are using the herbs medicinally, lack of taste and good color means it won't be very medicinal.
It's also important to store in the dark in a glass jar someplace cool and dry. They will definitely last until next growing season if stored this way.
Katie-ell, I agree, there is no better way to save every leaf of basil than to make large quantities of PESTO for the freezer!!!
Yummy,yummy
It has been a pesto factory here in my kitchen today!

"If more of us valued good food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2005 :  7:25:02 PM  Show Profile
Jes: Your herbs are beautiful and inspiring!! As they say, a picture worth a thousand words.
Another thing I have done with herbs is to make flavored vinegars. Very easy and pretty too. I also once made an herb wreath for the kitchen, it was pretty and smelled yummy.
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2005 :  11:29:06 AM  Show Profile
Blueeggbabe, you must be my long lost twin!!!

Go to Top of Page

Jes
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

jes
whitefield me
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2005 :  3:21:54 PM  Show Profile
Quiltedess...thanks! And flavored oils with sprigs of fresh herbs and garlic cloves! (I warm herbs, garlic and oil together on the stove, then strain oil into sterilized & dry glass jars atop fresh dill flowers, garlic, etc.) I know...who hasn't done this....but it's my favorite "naughty" appetizer when compnay comes. Fresh bread dipped in herb infused oil....yummmmm!!!!

Just a Maine Girl
http://sweetpeasme.motime.com ~collective souls....a journal's journey
Go to Top of Page

Linda Houston
True Blue Farmgirl

538 Posts

Linda
Lake Charles Louisiana
USA
538 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2005 :  3:58:18 PM  Show Profile
would you please send me a receipe for Presto? I would love to use some of my herbs that way.
Thanks,

Linda H
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  11:19:23 AM  Show Profile
Jes, your a farmgirl after my own heart, gotta agree with you, nothing tops homemade bread to dip in herbed oil.....YUM! Will have to make some soon now!

Sisterhood of the Traveling Art.....

Go to Top of Page

Jes
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

jes
whitefield me
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2005 :  05:57:54 AM  Show Profile
JUNEBUG: I KNOW IT! I'm going to make some tonight as a surprise for the Hubster...we are hiking in to a little spot to fish tonight....I found some wonderful blue cheese yesterday. There is a lady in a farm down the road that bakes bread and sells it out of her entryway! You just walk right into the house and before you is a mountain of glorious baked goodies! So I'm off to get some bread......

LINDA: Did you get a pesto recipe yet?

Just a Maine Girl
Go to Top of Page

Jes
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

jes
whitefield me
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2005 :  05:59:20 AM  Show Profile
OH....I keep meaning to ask....can you dry chives?

Just a Maine Girl
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2005 :  11:41:04 AM  Show Profile
Jes, sounds wonderful, from fishing to buying bread from a bakers house, how neat!!! Chives can be dried and frozen, both work well. Love your Motime site!!

Sisterhood of the Traveling Art...

Go to Top of Page

Jes
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

jes
whitefield me
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2005 :  04:04:39 AM  Show Profile
I know it...it all sounds so romantic in type! If anyone ever hears me moaning about the tough times....just slap me! (OK...CYBER SLAP ME!)

So how do we freeze chives? Just whole in baggies or something?

Just a Maine Girl
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2005 :  1:37:00 PM  Show Profile
You can freeze chives whole or chopped store in freezer containers or small jars or in ice cubes even. And yes, it is romantic, did you catch alot of fish?

Go to Top of Page

blanket of stars
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Kat
Hancock NH
51 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  3:12:47 PM  Show Profile
Chives really are best frozen - drying tends to make them tasteless, in my humble opinion. Ditto with parsley ( both kinds).
Alot of my mint bunches molded due to high humidity, so the next batch got dried, then picked off the stems, and microwaved for 1 second. I forgot about the drying-in-the-closed-car trick! Y'all are so clever!
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2005 :  2:09:34 PM  Show Profile
Linda (and pesto-less others amongst us),

I hop-scotched (do not try this without parental supervision) over to Epicurious.com and found this recipe, which comes close to what throws itself together at my place when I need to call something "pesto" and get away with it. The only thing I do differently is sometimes toast the pine nuts in the oven, or sautˇe them in olive oil, in either case ONLY until they are just a hair past golden. I think using them raw is more traditional, though, so you can honorably spare yourself that trouble. I don't use basil stems, by the bye, just leaves (thoroughly rinsed and dried). Buon appetito!

PESTO
Active time: 15 min Start to finish: 15 min

3 large garlic cloves
1/2 cup pine nuts
2 oz Parmigiano-Reggiano, coarsely grated (2/3 cup)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
3 cups loosely packed fresh basil
2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil

With food processor running, drop in garlic and finely chop. Stop motor and add nuts, cheese, salt, pepper, and basil, then process until finely chopped. With motor running, add oil, blending until incorporated.

Makes about 1 1/3 cups.
Go to Top of Page

potterygirl
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Tracy
Ironton Missouri
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2005 :  12:32:25 PM  Show Profile
Hello to all! I have read through every ones great ideas with the herbs. I am off to the store to get some ice cube trays to start making some Pesto! I have a variety of herbs in my garden that I started with my daughters last year. I love to cook (all the time) and enjoy using all of the fresh Herbs from the garden. I have not had the time or know how to save them for winter use...either dried or frozen, so this will get me started.

Last year I did cut, tie and hung upside them down until dry...ended up doing nothing with them because I didn't know what to do from that point??!! How sad huh?!

Thank you, Tracy
Go to Top of Page

blanket of stars
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Kat
Hancock NH
51 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2005 :  5:26:31 PM  Show Profile
Hang onto the dried stems from the herbs after you've stripped them! You can make herbal firestarters - make a bundle of herb sticks ( it looks nice if you have some leaves on a few sticks) tie in the middle with rafia, trim both ends, and dip in melted wax. Dry on newspaper. I made these with Cub Scouts and sold them at the market, and gave baskets of for Christmas...
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2005 :  04:45:18 AM  Show Profile
Not sad at all Tracey, each fall I harvest the last of my herbs and hang them in the kitchen just for the sweet smells of summer, I always have extra to do this, beats just letting them die in the garden plus all the smells hanging together is so pleasant, my kitchen always smells great!

Go to Top of Page

potterygirl
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Tracy
Ironton Missouri
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2005 :  5:59:22 PM  Show Profile
Sue.... I was looking through things tonight and ws pleased to get your reply! I have about fifty differnt types of Herbs in my garden of only two years. They come as far as Minnesota! Only because of my oldest daughter did I start this Herb garden and I don't think I have ever enjoyed anything more!

Last year my husband built shelves and grow lights...but, I DID NOT DO WELL IN KEEPING THEM INSIDE! But, they did come back outside. I will do as you say...

Thank you.... Nice to hav your responce!

Hello to the Show Me State! tln
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2005 :  05:00:38 AM  Show Profile
Hey neighbor! I always get excited when someone else is thrilled about herbs as much as I am! Where abouts is Ironton? I'm down by the Arkansas border below Springfield. We are lucky here in Missouri, can grow just about anything and herbs love our summers. What are your favorite herbs? Mine are lavender, rosemary, sage, pineapple sage, yarrow, just to name a few.......I got started growing herbs just for cooking, then the bug bit and now I make salves, remedies, wreaths, and anything to do with herbs, I"m addicted, can you tell??? Looking forward to hearing more about your herb garden and don't forget to hang those herbs anywhere!! lol

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic When to dry herbs? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page