Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Hula, anyone? Next Topic  

jenbove

320 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2008 :  1:30:42 PM  Show Profile
Hula is the language of the heart, therefore the heartbeat of the Hawaiian people.

Ancient Hawaiians had no written language. Instead, all communication beyond the spoken word took place in the form of chants and the dance called hula. Hula and its accompanying chants recorded Hawaiian genealogy, mythology, and prayers of the heart and mind. The hula was the means by which the culture, history, stories and almost every aspect of Hawaiian life was expressed and passed down through generations.

Because the Merrie Monarch Festival has maintained strict standards of authenticity, the true history and culture of the ancient Hawaiian people is being perpetuated. Without such educational and cultural organizations as the Merrie Monarch Festival, the history and unique traditions of the Hawaiian people will be lost forever.

The Merrie Monarch Festival is held annually in Hilo on the Big Island of Hawai'i and this year will run from March 30 to April 5, 2008. Tickets can be purchased on-line (order soon as it sells out) and cost between $10 - $25 for the 3 night series. For more information, go to: www.merriemonarchfestival.org

I invite you to enjoy the beauty of hula in performance and in the graceful dancing of the ohia trees and sweet smelling tropical flowers that surround Tree Fern Cottage when the fresh trade winds blow.

Mahalo,
Lisa Alpine
email: lisaalpine@sbcglobal.net
phone: 541-941-4759
web: http://hawaiibigislandvacationrental.com/

Jen

GOT A "WILD HAIR"?
COME VISIT MARYJANE'S OUTPOST!

www.maryjanesoutpost.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member # 9

My Blog: The View From My Boots
www.bovesboots.blogspot.com

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2008 :  3:48:29 PM  Show Profile
Ooh, Jen, that sounds wonderful! Too bad I'm saving money and can't buy a ticket over. I remember learning Hula, it's movements have similarities to Middle Eastern Dance

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com

www.pumpkinpatchparlor.etsy.com

And Blogs:

www.bigtownfarmer.blogspot.com

www.queenofcrows.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2008 :  05:51:41 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
sounds fun...i tried hula once and kept tripping over my feet. not too graceful.

What we write today slipped into our souls some other day when we were alone and doing nothing.
-Brenda Ueland

http://quilandneedle.blogspot.com/

http://musingandmuttering.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2008 :  06:55:29 AM  Show Profile
I love Hawaii, the history, the people!!!!!!!We go to Maui every other year!! This is the year!!!! Two weeks in July!!! Sooooo happy!Would love to see the Merrie monarch festival! Someday!!!! Truly paradise! And the people truly have an aloha spirit!! Mahalo !!!

"No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars,or sailed to an uncharted land or opened a new heaven to the human spirit." Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Hula, anyone? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page