Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Fabulous Farm Collectibles
 *Farmgirl Barter™
 Does anyone celebrate St. Patrick's Day?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author *Farmgirl Barter™: Previous Topic Does anyone celebrate St. Patrick's Day? Next Topic  

LauraH
True Blue Farmgirl

305 Posts

Laura
North Creek New York
USA
305 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  1:53:31 PM  Show Profile
We have a family get together. We are 25% irish.I make an Irish stew (with Guinness beer) piroski (like a pierogi) & irish soda bread.. My mom makes the classic boiled corned beef, cabbage & carrots..

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  1:56:45 PM  Show Profile
I usually make the classic like your mom. Yum!!! Husband is the only one in the family who dosn't love it.BUt...that once a year he has to deal with it..haha. I love St. Patricks day..just good fun at the elementary school..and I love the color green..so who wouldn't love THAT??

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  2:05:08 PM  Show Profile
i think i might have a tad irish in my background .. hank has none .. i never celebrate .. jus' don't have a connection. xo

True Friends * Frannie

HEAR MY STORIES
come, visit my:
"GATHERING ROOM" ..
http://freedomvalleyfarm.blogspot.com

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. up for adoption:
http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  2:10:47 PM  Show Profile
Yep, we sure do.
Since we are Irish on both sides my kids really get into it. We have the traditional corned beef and cabbage. It is not unusual for us to have it throughout the year as I stock up on corned beef whenever I can get it.

farmgirl sister #43

Kind hearts are gardens
Kind thoughts are roots
Kind words are blossoms
Kind deeds are Fruits

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  2:36:20 PM  Show Profile
Aye, we surely do. My great-grandparents fled from Ireland from the law. Yes! They changed their names and came to America. He killed someone in a duel. We go to Aunt Mary's house for corned beef, cabbage, potatoes, carrots, whiskey, and good times. Last year I was pregnant, and ate so much I wasn't right for three days. Since we moved far away, I can't go so I guess I'll have to cook it for DH, drink whiskey, and make phone calls.

Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  9:24:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
We try to celebrate St. Patrick's. I love the time of year and make it into a "season" around her. We often watch the movie "Boondock Saints" and I always start dreaming of visiting Ireland someday. What a great country!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and I our our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2008 :  05:26:44 AM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
If I didn't celebrate St Patricks Day, I'd be hung, drawn and quartered! Being married into a Irish Catholic family where my husband is one of eight.
We do it all, right down to the shamrock undies and green food dye in the sprite!

I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by. ~anon
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2008 :  05:44:38 AM  Show Profile
My husband, Justin Paul Aloyisius Lynch is 100% (american) Irish Catholic. When we met, he played every Thursday, Friday and Saturday in an Irish band that was like traditional Irish music on speed...kindof like the Pogues meets Danny Boy if you get my drift. His family is very dedicated to all things Irish, and after playing these marathon shows (4-5 gigs on St. Pat's day, starting at 6am in certain pubs) after a time, he got "Irished" out if that makes any sense. He and I celebrate quietly now--I always make corned beef and cabbage or Irish Stew and soda bread and he seems a LOT happier. The last St. Patricks day show he played a few years back ended at 2 am, after he'd been going since 6 am, and he was babbling gibberish the whole hour ride home!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2008 :  05:59:29 AM  Show Profile
My mother's side has Irish roots and she always made sure when I was growing up that I wore green. To this day she'll call me and ask if I'm wearing green on the 17th, which I always do. I always decorate my office at work and at home the beginning of March. My husband and I try to do something special for it and go out and although he's Swedish he enjoys the beer and festivities. I guess he's Irish for the day.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  *Farmgirl Barter™: Previous Topic Does anyone celebrate St. Patrick's Day? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page