Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 NANCE IN FRANCE!!!! Quilt hanging photos 4 you!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic NANCE IN FRANCE!!!! Quilt hanging photos 4 you! Next Topic  

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2008 :  10:02:06 AM  Show Profile
Nance--
I took some photos of the quilt hanging you admire so very much. I still can't for the life of me figure out "why" whoever painstakingly took the time to do this work actually "did" this work!!! It's so lovely, and I would love to know it's history. It's been dated to about 1870-1890, and the threads are hand dyed. The quilt material is cotton, and is hand done, albeit very simply. It seems that the whole point of this piece was the letters (without rhyme or reason to me or you).

Anyway, the first two are of the whole piece, the remaining are letter details in A, B, a G (I believe), and my favorite, the only "off color" M which was probably blue but has faded into a periwinkle almost. Each letter is about 8 x 8 and is done on an invidual square and then pieced together to form the "graph" design. The thread colors are red, gold, light peachish color, blues and gold/greens. The only color that appears to have retained its strong dye is the red. Everything else seems to be diminished, but not unattractively :)

Let me know what you (or anyone else who sees this thinks...it's a very curious but beautiful piece. I feel lucky to have it!!!

"A"

"B"

"G" or "C" or maybe "E"

"M"

Flower detail

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2008 :  11:26:22 AM  Show Profile
JONNI,
Boy that really is something. I love it. I have no idea why those letters would be picked unless its some kind of code, or I would guess those letters meant something to whoever made it. But its a dandy.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sissysquilts
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

sissy
wa
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2008 :  11:40:13 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jonni! I have a family piece (though much more simplified stitching) that was done with the initials of the children in the family. Mine is done sampler style and the relative who did it was only 14 at the time then initials were added at age 16 which I think were her own children if the history is correct. Could this be something like that? Regardless of the purpose it is so beautiful! You've really got a treasure for sure *~* Always great to find histories on pieces though :)

Farmgirl Sister #117

"The good stars met in your horoscope. Made you of spirit,fire and dew"
Robert Browning
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2008 :  12:23:23 PM  Show Profile
Nance, I even thought of some sort of club, like the female masons or whatever...but seemed like there would be a symbol,too. I'm glad that I can share it with you (all), I just think it's beautiful.

It could be, Sissy...I often wonder if it might have been used in a church, though again, I wouldn't know the significance of the letters. I am, though, very grateful my mother found it for me. This was my first "antique" gift at 14. She purchased it from a quilt dealer in Madison, Indiana, but the dealer didn't think it was local (to Indiana)--seemed more English to her, but lord only knows the way objects find their way through history!!!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2008 :  5:15:50 PM  Show Profile
That is really beautiful, you are lucky to have it. I hope you find out it's puzzle. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2008 :  8:47:05 PM  Show Profile
Jonni,
What a treasure, and so detailed. Beautiful!!!

listening to the quiet moments
Farmgirl #39
www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2008 :  12:59:52 AM  Show Profile
Jonni, thank you SO MUCH for posting these photos of this exquisite mystery quilt! You are so sweet to remember I was hoping to get a really good look at it! I love the close up photos especially, because you can really see the quality of the stitching. That is a neat idea that maybe it was initials of club members. I had thought perhaps it was the initials of the maker's children, in birth order. (If so, Lord have mercy, when did she ever find TIME to quilt this, ha!!).

What a wonderful gift your mother has given you. Hugs, Nance
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2008 :  04:56:25 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Perhaps it's the first initial of the first name of family members with all the same last name. Just a guess.

May we always be in thankful contemplation of God who presides over us all.
Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous
farmgirl #71 Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2008 :  04:57:34 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
thanks so much for showing us! It is fantastic!

May we always be in thankful contemplation of God who presides over us all.
Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous
farmgirl #71 Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic NANCE IN FRANCE!!!! Quilt hanging photos 4 you! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page