Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic I have a biscuit question.... Next Topic  

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2005 :  04:14:57 AM  Show Profile
For many years, I've baked my own biscuits. We prefer a baking powder type, made with whole wheat flour. We don't care for the store bought ones that come in the little rolls; too gluey and soft, they taste like fake butter and stick to the roofs of our mouths.

But now there are just two of us, and making a whole batch of a dozen biscuits doesn't work; we can't possibly eat them all before they get stale and gross. And I hate waste. So, what I'd like to do is freeze some rolled and cut but unbaked ones, to take out just a couple whenever I want them with dinner.

Has anybody done this? Can you take them straight from the freezer to a cookie sheet and bake? What oven temp do you use, and how long do you bake? I'd love to be able to do this with my own dough.

I'd love to hear your ideas and experiences!

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2005 :  2:07:46 PM  Show Profile
Great question!!! I've wondered this too but have been afraid to try it because I don't want to waste a whole batch. I'm anxious to see what others have to say.
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2005 :  3:11:45 PM  Show Profile
Well, if somebody doesn't cough up some information pretty soon, I'm going to experiment and see what I get.

If I do, I'll report back for you, lonestargal.
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2005 :  5:28:26 PM  Show Profile
It works! I do it so I can have them ready for breakfasts! I gotta have a pusher to get that yolk on my fork!
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2005 :  5:51:05 PM  Show Profile
Ooh, well cough up the instructions! Do you put the frozen biscuits on a cookie sheet and bake like usual?

How do you do it???
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2005 :  6:09:27 PM  Show Profile
25-30 minutes from our freezer to table. yes on the sheet pan,baking at 350.
what is your recipe?
Go to Top of Page

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2005 :  8:21:11 PM  Show Profile
I haven't tried with biscuits before, but I freeze muffin batter in the paper bake liners all the time, then just add about 5 minutes to the bake time. I imagine that would work for any quick bread recipe.

Annie
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2005 :  04:11:26 AM  Show Profile
You want my recipe, Ellen? It's a pretty standard one; let me see if I can remember it.

2 c. ww flour
4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 c. (or 4 Tbsp.) butter, cold and cut up into little knobs
1 egg
a scant 3/4 c. cold milk
butter for the tops

I mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl first. Then I crack the egg into a two cup measuring cup, beat it in there, and then pour in milk to the 3/4 c. mark. The chunks of butter go into the the flour, and are cut into the mixture until it looks like meal. I do this with my KitchenAid mixer, but I can do it with my hands. When I get that 'ready' look, I quickly put the milk/egg mixture in, and get it all together as fast as possible. You don't want to mix too long, or the biscuits will be tough. Just get it in there until it's begun to look uniform. I flop this little rough wad out onto a counter that's been dusted with flour, and knead very lightly a few times. I roll it out and cut the dough with a biscuit cutter, place the little guys on a baking sheet, and butter the tops with soft butter. Then I bake at 425 about 10 minutes until they're light gold on top, and standing up like little top hats.

These are soooo good with a pork roast, with breakfast sausage, with butter and jam squirting out the sides! My personal preference is blackberry jam. It just doesn't get any better than this.
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2005 :  04:12:27 AM  Show Profile
Annie, thanks so much for the muffin tip! And my husband thanks you even more than me!
Go to Top of Page

prairiemaid
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Margret

Canada
200 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2005 :  06:25:49 AM  Show Profile
quote:
We don't care for the store bought ones that come in the little rolls; too gluey and soft, they taste like fake butter and stick to the roofs of our mouths.
I didn't know you could get store bought biscuits!
LOL
Go to Top of Page

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2005 :  07:52:44 AM  Show Profile
Horseyrider,
My husband was the primary reason I started freezing muffins, too. He sometimes has to be at work at 5 am, so this is my way to give him a homemade breakfast without having to wake up. I'm really not lazy, I'm just pregnant and have a toddler and I need all the sleep I can get. He bakes the muffins while he brews his coffee and showers. IMPORTANT REMINDER: You have to put the muffins back in the muffin pan to bake. Don't ask me how my husband learned that. LOL!
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2005 :  09:23:26 AM  Show Profile
quote:
IMPORTANT REMINDER: You have to put the muffins back in the muffin pan to bake. Don't ask me how my husband learned that.

LOL! Now, there's a visual! Thanks for the heads up!

While I was at the grocery today, I peeked at a package of frozen biscuits. They said to place frozen on a cookie sheet and bake at 375 for fifteen to twenty minutes. Makes sense.

I hope to try it out with my recipe soon.
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2005 :  10:38:48 AM  Show Profile
Haven't done it for a while but I used to keep a large bulk quantity of home made biscuit mix in a gallon jar in my freezer. To make a half a recipe I would take out a cup of the mix and in a glass cup beat an egg with a quarter cup of milk. Stir into the flour mixture and bake as usual for just my husband and myself. It makes 6 biscuits which is 2 or three each. Just right as far as we are concerned. Yummy! I LOVE hot biscuits with butter and jam.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2005 :  7:19:06 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the tips ladies...I will try this soon. Hopefully it will work!!
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  09:33:15 AM  Show Profile
Do you guys think this same idea would work for homemade dinner rolls? I have a really good recipe that I use for rolls but sometimes I don't have the time to make them that day so if I could make a big batch and maybe freeze them before the rising? But then they have to thaw all the way and warm up again to begin the rising so that would still take a long time huh?
Go to Top of Page

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  10:30:43 AM  Show Profile
I would bake the whole batch until almost done (starting to turn gold) then let them cool completely and freeze them. Then thaw and finish baking the rolls when you need them.
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  1:15:37 PM  Show Profile
Hey thanks I'll try that next batch.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic I have a biscuit question.... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic